Scott Richardson - back on track
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott Richardson - back on track
2 years ago i was laid in Nobles, high on morphene, not really knowing what was going on (ohh yes, and minus a leg!)

Well, things have progressed nicely. On Thursday i rode my Aprilia RSV Mille at Donington during a trackday.

I asked one of the instructors to follow me to give me a few tips on holding the correct line, but i felt fine and actually lost him after 3 laps. He came in after the session and said "You're taking the 'pee', saying your disabled then leaving me for dead!" Nice one!

I managed to lap within a few of seconds of my race times (in my Supermono days), which i was pleased with.

Next week i collect my "Racing Leg" from the Luton & Dunstable Limb Fitting Centre, resplendant in its chequered flag material, exposed annodised shaft and movable ankle - look out for me proudly wearing in around the Manx GP paddock later this year.

I am awaiting a date from the ACU to do a couple of demo laps on mu Mille to prove i can ride a bike, then they'll grant me my race licence, although i may not use it for a while as i am due to have my right (whole) leg broken in September (straight after the MGP) and set in an external frame for 9 months. BUT, just getting the licence and cutting through any red tape is the main goal, then i can simply renew it each year until i'm 'fully' fit again. I have not ruled out a IOM return, but thats for the future.

A few peole have asked how my wife Carol feels about all this. Lets just say, she paid for yesterdays trackday as a birthday present for me! Nuff said!

Rgds
Scott
15-06-2002, 11:27 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Scott Richardson - back on track
Brilliant news Scott! You and Carol are a pair of stars.
15-06-2002, 12:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott, that's great! Your struggle against the odds has been impressive and uplifting, though sorry to hear the 'good' leg still needs more work.

Hope to see you at the Manx!
15-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well done Scott, you have shown great courage and determination, hope you get to race in the MGP in the future.
15-06-2002, 08:16 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Really good news!!
What courage!
Look forward to seeing you back at MGP in
future, see you at the MGP>

15-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Both you and Carol must be very special people. Lovely news, Scott. Keep us posted.
15-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

somebody give that man a medal.It takes such courage,mentally as much as physically.Hope to meet you both at the Manx
16-06-2002, 11:39 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott, I am so glad you are getting better after two years of what must have been absolute hell..I admire your pluck and hope to see you again in the future---If you remember when you were in the practice session and your machine caught fire at the Highlander the marshall came to you with the extinguisher while I phoned Race Office---Then you ran up the hill and secured a lift back to the start to get another bike !!!

That's how I remember you and hope that you a well on the mend now

Best Wishes
IAN
16-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian, yes i do remember it very well. if i broke down nowadays, i'm afraid that i wouldn't run back for a lift, instead i'd try and blag some marshal's coffee and watch the rest of the session!
A massive thanks to everyone for the well wishes. It may sound strange, but i do not consider it to have been a mental struggle, nor coragous. Daft maybe, but i always imagined getting back on a bike.
The trackday did make me realise that i'm not tooooooooooooooo far off of the pace. I will get tremendous satisfation beating some fully able racers, so watch out! Mine the bike with the disabled sticker under the screen!
Cheers again everyone, c u @ the MGP...
Scott
16-06-2002, 09:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I work with disabled people Scott, and I think most would say what you did. You just have to get on with it, or give up. There is, however, courage in doing more than just coping, as you have done. What I admire most is the way that people ingeniously get round the barriers their disabilty causes them. More power to your, i am sure well-calloused, elbow!!
16-06-2002, 10:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well done Scott , brilliant news ,have not caught up with you since the Ulster last year , but your supermono mag keeps us upto date .
Like you i know from my own experience how much more your determination levels go up ,i hope things go well for you , and will definitly see you both at the Manx in August, good luck..

steve. c.
16-06-2002, 10:43 PM