Biaggi snubs Valentino "Only Stoner will stop Lorenzo"
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Biaggi snubs Valentino "Only Stoner will stop Lorenzo"
The Roman Superbike champ talks about the year 2010:

"Jorge was fantastic and he will also be the man to beat in 2011.
Ferrari? What bad luck, they deserved to win the title after Alonso's big comeback.
My title? If I didn't know that I was strong I wouldn't have returned"

Just like old times, Max Biaggi talks about everything from the winners this year to current TV ratings. The Superbike World Championship has rediscovered a champion who is wowing the crowds again at the age of 39 and wants to continue to do so. Hailed by enthusiasts, he will stay with Aprilia for another two seasons. Dominating at the first tests for the 2011 season in Spain and Australia, Biaggi ruined his opponents' vacations: at Phillip Island starting on February 27 he will still be the man to beat. As Ferrari were beaten at the last minute and Valentino Rossi suffered from injuries, Max was the man who provided the world of Italian motor sports with the most prestigious title this year. Excited about the birth of his second son (two in 14 months: a near record) Biaggi reflects on F1, MotoGP and Superbike, and the past, present and future.

Why did Max Biaggi have to wait to turn 39 to win another world championship, 11 seasons after the last one in the MotoGP 250cc class?"
I asked myself the same question. Maybe it was my destiny to wait for Aprilia, the same company where I started a long time ago."

How is it that a mature racer won the Superbike championship, while Lorenzo and Vettel, who at the age of 23 are practically kids, won the MotoGP and F1 titles?
"It just turned out that way for Vettel, who is a new phenom for F1, because the average age in the last 20 years for the champion has been very high. On the other hand, Lorenzo is the outcome of MotoGP's policy. They are certain that younger winners are good from a marketing standpoint. Lorenzo is 23, but he has been racing in the world championship since he was 15. This makes him a veteran in his own right."

Biaggi has shined as a motorcycle racer at the age of 39, Schumacher returned to F1 at the age of 41 and was a disappointment.
"Michael is a driver who I hold in the highest regards, his talent is unquestionable. However, I expected more from him. My return was successful because I deserved it. After stopping in 2006 (not able to land a contract with Honda and not participating in MotoGP, editor's note) I wouldn't have come back if I didn't think that I could have been successful. I won my first time out, dominating in my Superbike debut in Qatar 2007."

F1 has made team orders legal. Have you ever had any experience with this sort of thing?
"There has never been team play in motorcycle racing, at least nothing I have seen. Maybe it will happen some day because modern motorcycle racing tends to copy F1, even in its negative aspects. But I will never agree with that type of choice."

Why did Ferrari lose at the last GP?
"They were incredibly unlucky. They deserved to win after the fantastic comeback by Alonso. Races are cruel sometimes, we have to be able to accept this."

Rossi to Ducati, Stoner to Honda and Lorenzo staying with Yamaha: who has the advantage in the MotoGP championship in 2011?
"Lorenzo had an excellent season and did a great job. He was really fantastic. I am certain that he is going to be the man to beat also next year. But look out for Stoner..."

Superbike has more constructors at the start (7 compared to 4) and does not fear being compared to MotoGP in terms of the entertainment it provides: but why are its TV ratings lower?
"La7 is doing a good job and is trying to improve the product. In the past the sport was at a disadvantage because an Italian racer had never won the Superbike championship. Now that we've done it, there is hope that the ratings will improve."

There aren't any new Italian names in F1, MotoGP and even Superbike: why?
"This is linked to the sports policies undertaken by the federations. The Spanish have dominated MotoGP because their federation has done and is doing a fantastic job. We can't expect superstars to sprout up all on their own. We are not doing a bad job in Italy, since we already have a few. More could come in the future, but it's going to take patience."

Italy is in the midst of an economic crisis: what do we need to get back on track?
"That is a difficult question to answer. Perhaps we need a lot of faith and believe that our economy can improve soon."

Your second son was born on December 16 and is named Leon Alexander: is it a tribute to Haslam, your rival in 2010, and to Barros, your adversary in the MotoGP 500cc class years ago?
"No, it is just a coincidence, they are pretty common names. Eleonora and I liked them both."

Is there anything better in the life of a racer than winning a world championship?
"It is the maximum achievement that you can desire. But the 2010 title was even more special for me because I became a father for the second time. Becoming a father is also a source of great joy."
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
28-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Website Find Reply