Medical meeting on TT postponed
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Medical meeting on TT postponed
[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]
As rerported on the IoMonline website

A Meeting planned before Christmas to thrash out disagreements over proposed changes to medical cover at the 2011 TT races had to be postponed because of the wintry weather.

The row over the changes led to medical director Dr David Stevens and four other race control doctors quitting the TT because organiser ACU Events Ltd decided there should only be one doctor – instead of two –in race control at any one time.

Department of Economic Development member Geoff Corkish MHK, said he was unwilling to comment on the situation before the meeting had taken place.

‘I want the full story straight from the horses’ mouths before I make any public comment. Until I know, it would be wrong to say anything but I want everything sorted out as soon as possible in the interests of the TT and the island,’ he said.

The controversy arose after Jim Parker of ACU Events Ltd (the TT organiser) dispensed with the services of Dr Heike Romer who was this year’s chief medical officer, citing ‘severe budgetary pressure’ as the reason and saying the position was not necessary.

Mr Corkish has since denied finacial constraints were at the root of the decision.

Mr Parker also stated only one doctor was needed on duty in race control, not two as recommended by medical director Dr David Stevens.

Dr Stevens, who has many years’ experience of medical cover at the event was then offered the position of chief medical officer but declined, pointing out they already had a well-qualified chief medical officer in Dr Heike Romer.

In a statement before Christmas, he said: ‘Instead, I was asked, as medical director, if I would organise and run all the services required, presumably, as usual, for free.’

Commenting on the proposed changes he added: ‘Five experienced TT race control doctors considered this to be an unworkable and unsafe practice, therefore making our further involvement impossible.

‘Requests, on several occasions, for a discussion were ignored.’

The meeting, between ACU Events Ltd, the Department of Economic Development’s motorsport team and Motorsport Medical Services is to be rescheduled for early in the new year.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
31-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Website Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Medical meeting on TT postponed
There's an old riddle that comes to mind. It goes: "What do you call a man who ignores his doctor's advice?"

Answers on a piece of rice paper please, to the ACU.
05-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Website Find Reply