Special Presentation to Leslie McMaster
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Special Presentation to Leslie McMaster
[Image: mmcc1.gif]

Gifted former Irish road racer Leslie McMaster was totally surprised and speechless at the recent Adelaide Racer Awards Night in Belfast after he was the beneficiary of a very special presentation.

Leslie, a hugely popular road racer in the 1980’s and early 90’s and particularly renowned for his prowess as a top 350cc rider, received a rapturous round of applause when he was called on stage for a surprise appearance to collect two special pieces of silverware he thought he had lost forever.

Due to financial constraints, McMaster only made the trip to the Isle of Man to tackle the Snaefell Mountain Course once during his career at the Manx Grand Prix in 1989.

He earned two Silver Replicas for fourth place in the Newcomers Lightweight Race and 5th in the Junior Manx Grand Prix to bring home to Northern Ireland, but sadly lost the treasured accolades in a house fire some years later.

However, Leslie McMaster was presented with two new reproductions of the special awards by event organiser Paul Lindsay, who requested the Manx Motor Cycle Club to specially commission his old replicas.

“Leslie only got to ride at the Isle of Man once in 1989 at the Manx Grand Prix,” Lindsay explained.

“He didn’t have the money to keep going back and then eventually retired.

“He won two replicas but lost them some years later in a house fire and David Wood tried to get them back for him, but was never successful. I took it upon myself to try and get them back for him and approached the Manx Motor Cycle Club, who agreed to provide the two Silver Replicas which have been presented to Leslie at the Awards Night at the Ramada Hotel.”

Paul continued:

“Leslie is overwhelmed and the new replicas will take pride of place in his home and I am very grateful to the Club for their generosity in agreeing to provide the unique silverware.”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
24-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Website Find Reply