Yamaha Classic Race Team confirm Isle of Man TT Parade line up to celebrate Yamaha's 50th Anniversary
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Yamaha Classic Race Team confirm Isle of Man TT Parade line up to celebrate Yamaha's 50th Anniversary
[Image: ttnewlogo.gif]

Motorcycling legends and iconic machines confirmed for TT2011 appearance

Some of the greatest names and most exotic machinery in Yamaha's history will be on the Isle of Man for this year's Isle of Man TT Races fuelled by Monster Energy courtesy of the Dutch based Yamaha Classic Racing Team.

The international team, which includes multiple TT Race winners and World Champions, will be performing a parade lap as part of the legendary Japanese manufacturer's 50th anniversary, which is appropriately also the 100th anniversary that racing has taken place around the famous 37¾-mile Mountain Circuit.

The line up includes multiple world champion Phil Read MBE, Yamaha's most successful rider, who also won 8 TT's and will ride the Yamaha RD05A 250cc that he rode to the '68 world championship. One of the greatest names in TT history, Phil will be making his first appearance on a Yamaha since the 1972 TT.

[Image: yamahaclassic2.jpg]
Phil Read in 1968

Germany's Dieter Braun, world champion in 1970 and 1973, as well as a TT winner in 1970, will be riding the Yamaha YZ634 350cc that 7 time TT winner and fellow world champion Chas Mortimer raced on the Island in 1972, while Chas will parade on a Yamaha TZ750.

[Image: yamahaclassic3.jpg]
Chas Mortimer in 2007

Australian Kel Carruthers who won the 1970 Lightweight 250cc TT will be renewing his acquaintance with Rod Gould, runner up in that race but who went on to win that year's world championship from Carruthers. Gould will be on a 1972 YZ635 250cc machine that he and Barry Sheene both raced in the World Championship.

Ulsterman Tommy Robb will be evoking memories of his popular 1973 125cc Ultra-Lightweight TT victory by appearing on the YZ623cc machine that he won that memorable race on.

The line up also includes Finland's Pentti Korhonen who will be riding a 350 4 cylinder RR08A and Jos Schurgers who will be on the four cylinder RA31A 125.

This eclectic group of riders is completed by American 750cc World Champion Steve Baker, who was inducted into the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 1989. The popular rider, known for his flamboyant riding style, was the first American World Champion in the 1977 750cc championship, and he also finished runner up to Barry Sheene in the 500cc championship in the same year as well as winning the Daytona 200. He is making a much-anticipated first appearance on the Island.

The team will also be bringing some classic machines that will go on display at the grandstand from Wednesday 8thJune. It is hoped that machines that will be on show will include Phil Read's RD56 from 1964 and Bill Ivy's 1960 TT winning RA97.

[Image: yamahaclassic1.jpg]
Yamaha Classic Race Team

As well as the parade, which will take place on Friday 10th June, the team will also be appearing in a Yamaha Classic Racing Team Parade on Douglas Promenade on Wednesday 8th June as part of the night-time entertainment.

A 'Dawn Chorus' event, with echoes of morning practices, is scheduled for early on Thursday 9th June, which will include riders and mechanics in period costume in pit lane with all of the bikes on display. Fans will get the chance to meet their Yamaha heroes as part of the 'Day of Champions' also lined up for the TT Grandstand on the same day.

Ferry Brouwer, Team Owner, Yamaha Classic Racing Team commented:

"We are delighted that Yamaha's 50th anniversary is coinciding with the centenary celebrations of the Mountain Course and we are sure that the TT fans will enjoy the sights and sounds of these spectacular machines and the chance to see these legendary riders close up."

Allan Bell, MHK, Minister, Department of Economic Development commented:

"We are very much looking forward to sharing this special year in the history of the IOM TT Races with the Yamaha Classic Racing Team and celebrating their 50th anniversary year with us."
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 28-01-2011, 04:41 PM by Malcolm.)
28-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Website Find Reply
Arthur Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
RE: Yamaha Classic Race Team confirm Isle of Man TT Parade line up to celebrate Yamaha's 50th Anniversary
(28-01-2011, 04:32 PM)Malcolm Wrote:
[Image: ttnewlogo.gif]

Motorcycling legends and iconic machines confirmed for TT2011 appearance

Some of the greatest names and most exotic machinery in Yamaha's history will be on the Isle of Man for this year's Isle of Man TT Races fuelled by Monster Energy courtesy of the Dutch based Yamaha Classic Racing Team.

The international team, which includes multiple TT Race winners and World Champions, will be performing a parade lap as part of the legendary Japanese manufacturer's 50th anniversary, which is appropriately also the 100th anniversary that racing has taken place around the famous 37¾-mile Mountain Circuit.

The line up includes multiple world champion Phil Read MBE, Yamaha's most successful rider, who also won 8 TT's and will ride the Yamaha RD05A 250cc that he rode to the '68 world championship. One of the greatest names in TT history, Phil will be making his first appearance on a Yamaha since the 1972 TT.
Phil Read's first appearance on a Yamaha since 1972 Have my eyes been deceiving me?
30-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Find Reply
David Linsdell Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Yamaha Classic Race Team confirm Isle of Man TT Parade line up to celebrate Yamaha's 50th Anniversary
[/quote]
Phil Read's first appearance on a Yamaha since 1972 Have my eyes been deceiving me?
[/quote]

I'm assuming it means on the island? Badly worded though!
30-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Find Reply