Manx2.com plane crashes in Ireland - fatalities confirmed
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Manx2.com plane crashes in Ireland - fatalities confirmed
[Image: manx2hdr.jpg]

A Manx2.com plane has crashed in the Republic of Ireland.

It was en route from Belfast to Cork and was attempting to land for a third time in foggy conditions when it came down just before 10am.

The flight number was MN7100.

Cork City Council says three people have been killed and two are trapped in the plane's wreckage

Cork Airport is currently closed.

--- / ---

IRISH TIMES REPORTERS

A small aircraft carrying 12 people has crashed on the runway of Cork airport this morning. A number of fatalities are feared.

The Manx2 airline flight from Belfast to Cork reportedly overturned and caught fire when making a second attempt to land.

The plane was due to arrive in Cork at about 9.45am. There was heavy fog in the area at the time.

There were 12 people on board the plane, 10 passengers and two crew.

There are unconfirmed reports of a number of fatalities. Four people were seen walking away from the plane. Injured people are being brought to Cork University Hospital.

A spokesman for Dublin Airport Authority, which also operates Cork airport, confirmed the airport had been closed following a serious incident. “An incoming Manx2 aircraft crashed on the airfield on approach to landing shortly before 10am,” he said. “Fire crews are on the scene and the airport’s emergency plan has been activated.”

The Irish Aviation Authority said the plane was making its second attempt to land in "low vis conditions" when the crash occurred.

"There is a fire and debris has been scattered onto the runway and over a wide area," it said in a statement.

The Department of Transport's Air Accident Investigation Unit is on its way to investigate the incident.

Gardaí have closed South Link route between Cork airport and Cork University hospital and motorists have been asked to avoid the area.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2011, 12:29 PM by Malcolm.)
10-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Manx2.com plane crashes in Ireland - fatalities confirmed
BARRY ROCHE, Southern Correspondent at Cork airport - 12:35 hrs

Six people have died after a small aircraft carrying 12 people crashed on the runway of Cork airport in dense fog this morning.

The Manx2 airline flight from Belfast to Cork overturned and caught fire while making a third attempt to land at about 9.45am.

There was heavy fog in the area at the time and visibility was poor.

There were 10 passengers and two crew on board the twin turboprop plane at the time.

Six people died and six others were taken with serious injuries to Cork University Hospital, which has activated its major emergency plan.

The plane was making its third attempt to land in low visibility conditions when it crashed, flipped over and burst into flames on a grass verge.

The Irish Aviation Authority said debris was scattered onto the runway and over a wide area.

A spokesman for Dublin Airport Authority, which operates Cork airport, said it was closed following the crash. “An incoming Manx2 aircraft crashed on the airfield on approach to landing shortly before 10am,” he said. “Fire crews are on the scene and the airport’s emergency plan has been activated.”

IAA chief executive Eamonn Brennan said the plane left Belfast at 8.12am was due in Cork at 9.10am. He said there was fog in the Cork area at the time and visibility was poor. Winds were light. “It wouldn’t have been anything more than normal circumstances for Cork,” he told RTÉ Radio. He said the Department of Transport's Air Accident Investigation Unit would carry out a full investigation of the incident.

Minister for Transport Pat Carey expressed his sympathies to everyone who had been injured and the families of those who had died.

Gardaí have closed South Link route between the airport and the and motorists have been asked to avoid the area.

Bishop of Cork and Ross John Buckley arrived at the airport to offer support to relatives of the dead and injured. “All we can offer is our support, our help and our prayers at this time,” he said.

The plane was an 18-seater Fairchild Metroliner which was leased by Manx 2 with the flight number NN 71001.

Manx2.com was founded in the Isle of Man and carries 100,000 passengers a year. It announced last September that it was expanding its presence in Northern Ireland, choosing George Best Belfast City Airport as its first permanent base outside the Isle of Man and launching the twice-daily service from Belfast to Cork. The flight takes about 70 minutes.

A casualty information bureau has been set up at Cork airport with staff operating a helpline on 021 432 8820.

Manx2 airlines has set up a helpline for anyone concerned about friends or relatives. It can be contacted on 0044 2890 4270 04.

Aer Lingus cancelled four flights in and out of Cork after the accident while a number of others have been diverted to Shannon. Ryanair said a number of flights scheduled to arrive in and depart from Cork will now operate from Shannon. Intending passengers are advised to contact their airlines.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
10-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Website Find Reply