Small Sponsor Available.
Lee Offline

Threads: 11
Small Sponsor Available.
Hi,
I would like to help out someones effort at the TT this year.
My little business in Aus can only afford a few bucks so please don't get too excited. I'm thinking enough for a pair of tires?
You may contact me by email. lee@oilee.com.au
Lee.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2011, 12:24 PM by Lee.)
03-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Find Reply
Lee Offline

RE: Small Sponsor Available.
Thanks guys,
I felt like I was Hector Neil for a day as I had to choose who to help out lol!
Seriously though, I believe my small contribution will go along way and I encourage anyone to get involved in the greatest show on Earth!
06-03-2011, 02:31 AM
Find Reply
Cheese Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
Hi!

I just saw your massage and thought it was a joke!

I never saw that, I mean someone who really wants to help like that in a financial way. Being a rider, I just can tell you THANK YOU for that!

Best regards,

Hervé
13-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Find Reply
Lee Offline

Ok, So this is how my TT 2011 went.

After posting this thread I received a few reply's from guys that took the time to introduce themselves and thank me for the offer. In reading the responses I immediately felt that I was doing the right thing.

My new hydraulic servicing business in Melbourne (Oilee) was only 6months old and money was a bit tight. I didn't think I could get over to the IOM in 2011 so I felt that I could be there in spirit by helping someone out. I knew that I had a few months to send a couple of payments. The target was to find enough for 2 pairs of tyres maybe?

I got in touch with Allan Brew and let him know my plans. Allan had the opportunity to ride the M.I.T bike in the TT Zero. A little bit of a change for him as I'm sure many of you know he rides the classic's. In fact he is the reigning Irish Road Race Champ. To be able to compete in the TT Zero, Allan was required to compete in another race. At the very least, complete 6 laps of practice. He chose the Supersport class to do so. As Allan (above all) sounded like a nice bloke and is currently competing in both classic titles with all the expenses involved in that never mind the travel and now his TT plans! I thought my wee bit of help would count.

I'm not driven by money or work. Ask my wife and she will tell you that the only time I'm up in the morning feeling fresh is when it's for the bikes. Bikes are my thing. All of a sudden after realising that I would have a tiny part in this years TT. Work suddenly became affiliated with bikes. Indirecty of course but I did need to find sponsorship for "my rider." Now I wasn't getting covered in hydraulic oil to pay for house bills. In my mind now I was going out to work to fund my passion. It didn't feel like work at all. Maybe I could get the head down and gather up enough to help a rider AND travel to the IOM?

As the weeks went by and more work came I found enough to send a few payments. I spoke to a mate back home (N.I) and told him of my plan to get to the TT. He booked the ferry from Belfast and paid for my share so we could top up the sponsorship a further 150 quid! Result, now we were in business. OILEE Racing was going to the TT!

Now I needed to fund my trip to Ireland. At this stage my wife was happy for me to go home alone but as she has a big family in Ireland I knew I had to do the right thing and find enough for 2 tickets if at all possible. A couple of nice jobs made that possible along with the strong Aussie Dollar. Both of us were booked.

As June got closer I thought maybe it could be good fun to get a few race shirts made up? I wondered if maybe I could get a chance to run the company logo on the bike? I was a bit embarrased to ask but I did. Allan was up for it so I was well chuffed!

My wife and I arrived in Ireland and it was great to catch up with all the family. I said cherio to Charlotte and didn't see much of her for the next few weeks as she was doing her thing I was doing mine. Me and the mate had to get a couple of road bikes sorted so we could have a bit of fun on the Island. After a bit of tinkering we had 2 tw125 trail bikes ready to rock!

We arrived on the Isle at the start of race week. At this stage we were styling it. Oilee Race shirts proudly worn of course. We traveled in the van loaded up with a few bikes. No camping gear needed, we found a house to stay in Douglas just below the pits. We unloaded and off we went to meet Allan for the first time. When we got to Ramsay we were greeted with a cuppa tea and instantly felt we were helping the right man out. The yanks were there in the garage servicing the Zero bike and Allan and his lovely wife gave us an update of how the week was going. The laps required for the Zero race were achieved so the goal on the Supersport machine had already been achieved. We got the Supersport bike stickered up and talked about the race coming up the next day.

Previously I had sent an email letting Allan know we could be of service to him if required. I was thinking maybe he would of liked to get a pit signal somewhere? If he wanted us to be freezing our test tickles off up the mountain that would be fine with me. Whatever was needed? I'm not shy of a brush? The last thing I wanted though was for us to be getting in the way, you know what I mean. Here's a couple of dudes that sponsored a few pounds, then arrive with race shirts on and stickers then think they have some sort of role to play. The "hangers on" tag I am very aware of.
Turns out though our offer was required. Oh sh!t! We were given instructions that we would be doing the pit stop the next day!

We all met up the next morn and ran through the plan. Looking back now the plan was simple. Wait for him to come in on lap 2. Open tank. Put fuel in tank. Close tank. We had Allans wife Jan there as the boss. No bother to her, she kept our nerves down and everything went to plan. I still have the in print of a Kawasaki key in the palm of my hand though as I was gripping it tightly throughout the day so NOT to loose it. A fantastic experience it made my year.

Job done, everyone happy! With that, Allan would not go out in race 2 later that week deciding to concentrate on the TT Zero. The boys wanted to be the first Uni team to cross the line.

During race week we soaked up what is TT. Doing a few laps, eating burgers and enjoying the races. We may of had a few beers along the way also... All in the presence of lovely weather!

TT Zero race day came, by that time the MIT bike was running the Oilee Racing logos also. The team done this as they needed the Supersport laps to fulfill their dream and appreciated the help we gave to Allan in doing so. Oh sh!t! Could the week end up with my wee sticker on the podium?

We watched from the grandstand the Zero bikes whizz away from the start line. Then we waited, and waited (sorryHehe) First bike finishes, Allan comes in in 4th place! I was really chuffed for Team Brew and the boys from MIT. All their hard work showed that they got faster throughout the week and the prototype lasted the full distance. Just to be in the background watching their celebrations was special. Did I mention the Oilee sticker on the swingarm Icon_lol

I started to write this with the mind of encouraging fans out there to get involved in supporting our passion. I've always said that "when I win the lottery I'm going to have a race team" "I'm going to sponsor..." blah blah blah. I've learned you don't need to be a millionaire! My wee experience this year showed me how little can go so far. These guys all need a little help in some way. Money's a major factor in our sport and I encourage everyone that you can make a difference. Maybe a few mates can stick in a few quid enough to buy a tyre for some guy or girl? You can't beat waiting for "your rider" to come pass no matter what position their in. It gives a totally different flavour to your day at the races.

If your reading this Allan, Jan, Jay or Team MIT. Cheers for everything I had a ball!
[attachment=65]
[attachment=66]

ROLL ON 2012!
Not sure what the plans are yet but Oilee Racing will be there somehow?

p.s My first racing season starts in 2012 at P.I.
Any sponsors are welcome Icon_lol Icon_lol
04-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Find Reply
Allan Brew Offline

Threads: 1
Lee,

I had a lump in my throat reading that, fantastic stuff. Thanks again for everything you and Jay did and I'm glad you enjoyed the experience I certainly did !

Look forward to hearing how you get on thrashing round PI and hope to see you back here next year.

Allan.
09-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Find Reply