No Limit to fun at wacky races
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
No Limit to fun at wacky races
[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]
Copied from the original IOMonline website article

There's No Limit to the fundraising ambitions of the Vintage Motorcycle Club.

In tribute to the 1935 George Formby classic, members have organised a weekend of events during this year’s TT which will feature lots of replica ‘Shuttleworth Snaps’ and re-enactments of scenes from the movie.

The weekend gets under way with a No Limit film tour that has been put together by local historian Peter Kelly with help from the George Formby Society.

Those taking part will need a bike to get to each location on the tour, which will last about two hours and will be centred around Douglas and the Marine Drive area.

The tour sets off at 10am on Saturday, June 4, from the Villa Arcade – with people advised to park between the Gaiety and the Empress Hotel for a quick getaway – and it ends with a visit to Bushy’s Brewery to sample some Shuttleworth Beer.

Timed well before racing starts to suit marshals and traffic around the course, the tour is free of charge, with just a whip round for Breakthrough Breast Cancer. Places are limited to 100, however, so you need to book by phoning Dave Cain on 626492 or 332835.

The following day, the Amalgamated Society of Shuttleworthers and Fettlers Mad Sunday Challenge, sets off from the Grandstand at 10am for a ride around the pubs on the course where various sketches and scenes from the film will be re-enacted.

[Image: wackyraceday1.jpg]
Dave Cain and Martin Brunnschweiler at Bushys Brewery for the launch of No Limits charity

All the pubs have been getting into theme for the No Limit and have been busy building replica Snaps.

There is a £200 prize from the best Snap so anybody who wants to have a go and build one is urged to get fettling!

‘You can just have cardboard tie-wired to your bike or go the full deal, we don’t care, just get out,’ said organiser Dave.

‘A novel idea from a few VMCC members has got a bit out of hand. It started with a few Shuttleworth Snaps buzzing around TT week to a full-blown event.’

Judging for the best Snap takes place at Tony East’s vintage bike museum at Kirk Michael. There’s a separate category for the marshals.

Marshals will have an M on their tailfin, while pub entries will have the name of the pub on their bike.

‘There would simply be no TT without these guys, so come on marshals, it’s your day off, get Snapped up. We have a barrel of Bushys, a load of Duke DVDs and a bottle from every pub on the course just for you,’ Dave said.

He added: ‘I would like to hear from anyone who has any stories handed down about the film to spice up the tour. And I would like to hear from any acting groups out there who fancy doing 2-3 minute sketches to come along and hone their skills on some street theatre. We can help with props.

‘One again there’s no fee, in these hard economic times, it’s just people doing it for themselves in a very Manx way.’
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
09-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Website Find Reply