Lucky to be alive after horror crash
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Lucky to be alive after horror crash
[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]

Isle of Man Newspapers sports editor John Watterson can count himself very lucky to be alive after suffering horrific injuries in a mountain bike smash.

Watty, as he is know to everyone, suffered numerous head injuries, a cracked rib and a fracture to his neck in the accident on a single track trail at the Arrasey plantation near Glen Maye on the day of the royal wedding.

He was knocked unconscious and was rescued by firefighters in a 6x6 vehicle as poor accessibility meant it was difficult for paramedics to reach the spot.

Despite his injuries making him barely recognisable to even his closest friends and family, Watty, 53, is recovering well and was allowed back home from Noble’s Hospital on Monday.

Speaking before he was discharged, he admitted: ‘I’m lucky to be alive – there’s no doubt about that. If I had been on my own or hadn’t been wearing a helmet it would have been a different story. The big thing is I’m doing fine and recovering well.’

He said he was appreciative of all the messages he had been sent from well-wishers, having had no fewer than 28 visitors plus numerous texts and cards.

And he paid tribute to the fire crews, paramedics, hospital consultants and nursing staff.

[Image: wattyaccident.jpg]

‘The fire and rescue were fantastic and the paramedics too. The firemen pulled me back to the ambulance and then held me up in the stretcher in the ambulance to keep me stable on the rough track.

‘Two surgeons have worked on me for three hours – I was under for eight hours in total – literally rebuilding my nose, my chin and my mouth.’

Watty had been mountain biking with a group of six friends, showing them the southern half of the End to End route – a route he knows well.

‘I’ve probably ridden it a dozen or more times and never had any previous issues,’ he said.

Then 200 yards down the single track section at Arrasey plantation he lost control and landed face first. He estimates he travelling less than 20 mph.

He remembers nothing more until he was in the ambulance about half a mile from Noble’s.

Fortunately, among his friends was a woman who had experience in the RAF dealing with servicemen injured in Afghanistan, while another pal was an auxiliary fireman and travelling marshal for the TT.

Looking forward to returning home in Peel, he said the incident showed just how easy it is to be seriously injured even in low speed impacts.

‘The surgeons said my injuries were consistent with a high-speed motorbike crash. I’m 53 and this is my first ever taste of hospital. I’m strong and healthy and I’m glad to be going home so soon.

‘The fracture in my neck is stable. I’ve got a brace on and I’m not really concerned about it. But I am really concerned about my face. Even my friends don’t recognise me. I asked the surgeons whether they could give me the face of Johnny Depp but I’m not sure that’s feasible!’
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
06-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
RE: Lucky to be alive after horror crash
Gawd, you have been very very lucky.......
Hope you will soon be back to normal..
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
06-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
RE: Lucky to be alive after horror crash
(06-05-2011, 04:57 PM)ian huntly Wrote: Gawd, you have been very very lucky.......
Hope you will soon be back to normal..

Hey John that sounds really painful and unpleasant, we hope and pray that you get back to fitness very soon. Pat ( Race Mission )
08-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Find Reply