TT 2011
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
TT 2011
TT practice starts in 20 days time, is anybody even a little excited ?. Can we have some action on this site, does anybody have any thing to say ??.
10-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
RE: TT 2011
Pat. I AM excited, and I WILL be there! I'm just not as excited as I used to be, but the TT still means an awful lot to me. I would be interested to know of your thoughts on the TT3D film. I saw it recently, and was slightly disturbed at the constant reference to the "near death experience" by virtually everyone who appeared in the film.
It will be of interest to me to see if the numbers are up this year, with the Centenary Lap in mind, AND with the exposure of TT3D.
I look forward to seeing you in the Paddock. Surely not your last year?
10-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
RE: TT 2011 TT3D
I am like Nick, the TT means so much to me, it triggers off memories of my parents going and I have recently found again, photos going back to the late 1920s when my Dad started going. They must have been wonderful days ................

I'm now very disappointed that the TT heritage is being forgotten, and being replaced by such brain thumping things as the 3D film. I really felt enthusiastic at first, we were having a bang-up-to-date film about the TT in 3D and and all that, but on retrospect, I feel that people who have never seen a TT will think it is quite potty that we fans go over to see crashes and follow men who act and speak like rude little boys.
A sort of "Gladiator" on wheels..........

My son went with a group of his pals recently to see the 3DTT................ Not one of his pals said "OOOO, we are going to the TT because of that film" and most said that while they had seen Guys boat programme and enjoyed it a little bit, were actually put off by his turns of phrase in the film finding them a bit over-the-top..

"No Limit", in its simplicity, is a better advert for the good things about the TT and we showed them my DVD as a follow up when they came back for coffee.......They loved George Formby, he was the underdog TT rider who got the girl and the franchise....And he could sing and play a ukelele !

My son didn't pull any punches about the 3D movie and he has been to the TT earlier in life (before I was "allowed" to go on my own). He said himself that it was not how he remembered his happy times over at the TT with his parents.

Nobody in his group PRAISED what they saw, they laughed AT Guy Martins disgusting morning habits and discussed quite animatedly the crashes...

But the ESSENCE of the TT was lost to them. We, who go over each year see the TT as an annual event which brings together people from all over the world, together in a common love, together in a great fraternity, together in friendship. All of us have lost someone close to the racing but I don't go to experience that if I can help it..

I do not think the 3DTT film SELLS the TT at all and I said at the beginning that a guest spot should have been created for Jason Statham or Jeremy Renner with the explosions, mayhem etc.

Frankly they should have produced a good 3D re-make of No Limit and accomplished far more with that.

I feel this hysteria about the 3DTT film will disipate fairly soon now, when people calm down and some will actually feel as I do.

Don't let us forget the history of the TT, it is still going because of the strong foundation laid by those riders of the past. Crash Bang Wallop is not the TT......................

Finally, I wish we had this website flying high again, though I see lots of good and bad stuff on Facebook these days. I admit to putting my two pennyworth into Facebook as well, but you can't beat a forum such as this one when we can get response.

I have always been a bit of a Devils Advocate during my association with the TT, being honest, with my own considered analysis, trying to get responses both negative and positive..

I hope this submission will trigger off replies but don't make them too abusive thank you !!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2011, 08:00 PM by ian huntly.)
10-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
Nick, Ian, Pat - I'm sorry, but what you're seeing is what I saw quite some years ago.

It's not Sport any more (save the barrowboys, and they're mad . . . . .) but SHOW BUSINESS.

I got taken to task on another thread because I "denigrated" the modern TT, and dared to suggest that many people will not be back to what, courtesy of Mr Phillips and his Government colleagues, has become a vast (and costly) "Commercefest".

In support of what I wrote a few weeks ago, just look at the "Accomodation" threads on this site.

Until even last year, they were full of "Where can we stay"s - this year for the first year that I can remember, the majority are "Come and rent our House/Flat/Apartment/Homestay".

Says it all, doesn't it??

Icon_frown
10-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

I also have noticed how easy it is to get accomodation this year.

I put out a plea on behalf of a couple of friends and I received a PILE of offers, all super ....

Paul Phillips has done a terrific amount for the TT but we are aware of many people jumping on his bandwagon for their own financial benefit, to the detriment of what he has tried to accomplish.

That will cause the demise of the TT, for they are in danger of pricing it out of the market, without any thought for the future.

They need to stand back, take a very deep breath and look at what the TT could turn into if care is not taken...........And take action NOW........
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2011, 10:07 PM by ian huntly.)
10-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Website Find Reply
Lee Offline

Pat, I'm really excited. I always am every year. It doesn't matter if I'm going there or if I have to wait for the DVD.

I've just discovered another forum were it seems most share my enthusiasm.

Frankly I'm getting tired of all the negative comments on here.

Lets just look forward to the race?

This comment is not written to offend. I'd just like to see the odd "can't wait" comment.

It's going to be a blast! I can't wait!
11-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Hey, you cannot think that this forum is negative, it is built upon the observations of people, probably like yourself, who go every year to an event which is the highlight of their year.

But you also cannot stop people who can see a rationalised view of the TT fortnight, making a point here and there which we hope will be taken as constructional criticism...

I go every year too !!!!
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
11-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Website Find Reply
Lee Offline

Ian, lately I do think this forum has more negative than positive comments.

Of course I cannot stop people "making a point here and there which we hope will be taken as constructional "

I'm just trying to encourage a bit of fun in the lead up to this years event. It is in a couple of weeks as the thread title explains.

Roll on the 27th! Thats when my holiday starts!
11-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

It could be the most open TT for a few years, this year. Oh aye sure enough..

So who is going to get up onto the winners rostrum..

Michael Dunlop to do a Hutchy ??

but who else ??? Anstey, McGuinness.......
or someone we would never expect to win ??

Let's put a few names forward in this section..

Will there be "TT3D - the Sequel" ?
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
13-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

(13-05-2011, 03:31 PM)ian huntly Wrote: It could be the most open TT for a few years, this year. Oh aye sure enough..

So who is going to get up onto the winners rostrum..

Michael Dunlop to do a Hutchy ??

but who else ??? Anstey, McGuinness.......
or someone we would never expect to win ??

Let's put a few names forward in this section..

Will there be "TT3D - the Sequel" ?

How about Guy Martin to take FIVE !, however the Relentless Suzuki's will have to be screwed together a lot better that last year.
13-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Find Reply
Lee Offline

We also had Ryan Farquhar, Cam Donald, and kieth Amor stand on the podium last year. We can't write off John McGuinnes...
And is the Manx Man Conor Cummings fit enough?

It's could be a cracker!
14-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
I love the movie No Limit... and think it should be mandatory viewing for all newbies to the IOM..!!

I WISH I could go to the TT this year.. and see fellow Yank Dave Roper lead the way on that 1911 Indian..! But I will make the Manx...! Yes, life is very good when visiting the IOM..!!!

Cheers..!!!

Ron Big Grin
14-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

I think Guy will win one but there are so many others biting at his heels.

Could John McGuinness ADD to his total ??????

Did you see Ryan leave the rest well behind on the TV ??? That's a fast motor !

Can I believe that Bruce Anstey will make a comeback ?

I used to love looking in my crystal test tickles and think who would win....

Let's have a few suggestions please
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
14-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

(14-05-2011, 09:48 AM)ian huntly Wrote: I think Guy will win one but there are so many others biting at his heels.

Could John McGuinness ADD to his total ??????

Did you see Ryan leave the rest well behind on the TV ??? That's a fast motor !

Can I believe that Bruce Anstey will make a comeback ?

I used to love looking in my crystal test tickles and think who would win....

Let's have a few suggestions please

One of the "special" things about the TT is the unpredictability of who will win, and who will be on the rostrum. As there is no sighting lap before a TT race things must play on a riders mind. There are a few things to put into that equation. The weather, Has it has rained in the hours prior to the start, ? where are the wet patches ?, is it wet under the trees ?, if it is windy and blowy have I got the correct gearing ?. Have the team prepared and screwed the bike together to last the distance ?. Lots of things to think about etc, but that is what makes a TT so special. I would dearly love to see Guy win a TT, are Relentless Suzuki prepared for him ?.
John Mcguinness has to be a favourite, Him and Honda bonded a long time ago. I know that they had mechanical problems last year but if the Honda stays together John has to be the one to beat. And of course Bruce and Ryan cant be ruled out.

I look forward to hearing all the paddock gossip again this year. That is another part of the TT that makes it special.

And I really do not know what to say about your crystal test tickles Ian.!
14-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
(10-05-2011, 08:57 PM)larryd Wrote: Nick, Ian, Pat - I'm sorry, but what you're seeing is what I saw quite some years ago.

It's not Sport any more (save the barrowboys, and they're mad . . . . .) but SHOW BUSINESS.

I got taken to task on another thread because I "denigrated" the modern TT, and dared to suggest that many people will not be back to what, courtesy of Mr Phillips and his Government colleagues, has become a vast (and costly) "Commercefest".

In support of what I wrote a few weeks ago, just look at the "Accomodation" threads on this site.

Until even last year, they were full of "Where can we stay"s - this year for the first year that I can remember, the majority are "Come and rent our House/Flat/Apartment/Homestay".

Says it all, doesn't it??

Icon_frown

how correct you are larry i big rip off
Roll on Kells 2010
16-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
I am quite shocked at how poor the Supersport (Junior TT) is. Why is there not a full entry, no reserves either? I have a feeling that 'market forces' have come into play, and the TT has peaked!
16-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
The local IOM Police have just phoned me after having checked my van getting of the boat tonight. They have confirmed that My Iveco 35s12 with 1 bike , wheels and tools ect will not be allowed to leave the port until the weight is reduced to its plate. They have also said that all vans coming into the IOM on the lead up to TT will be put on the scales and any van over the limit willbe rfused entry.
How many nails does the TT coffin have. Most of the irsish and private lads travel to the TT with loaded vans due to costs etc.
17-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Find Reply