IOM TT 2011
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
IOM TT 2011
Hi,

I heard a lot of comments about the TT this year, let's have a sensible debate on what people thought. I picked up on a couple of issues that I think are worth debating. I heard one person talking to one of the "officials" about the Arari lap. His comments were something like," it appears that this lap is more important that the racing", his reply was, " we had to get it in as Nicky Hayden and Cal Crutchlow have to get back to Silverstone for Motogp practice" what do you think ?. The second point is regarding the Subaru involvement and Mark Higgins demonstration lap. We are told that Subaru have a three year deal to supply cars for the officials to drive around in, and for the roads closed and open cars, part of this deal seems to allow a "demonstration" lap. However how much influence does the Subaru deal have ?, I overheard a very influential team member talking on his telephone on Friday,( I don't know who to,) after he had learnt that the pit had to be completely emptied of tools, equipment, and all the petrol filers had to be emptied, to comply with the insurance regulations for the Subaru lap. Whoever he was talking to, he told them that it was a not good enough that the senior TT, one of the most important road races in the world was being humiliated by a car demonstration lap. I do realize that the TT needs commercial sponsors but perhaps the tourist board/ organizers can release what the deal is £££££'s, and let people make their minds up weather it is worth it. Please lets have sensible replies.
11-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
RE: IOM TT 2011
I think you will hear a very hard statement from a couple of the big teams regarding the running of this years TT, Eddie Nelson being one of the concerns, the other is the way Riders and teams from both ends of the field are being treated.

The lives of riders at this years TT were put in further danger despite the protest from several of the top names.

What I would like to know is why did the IOM Government buy the rights to the TT off the ACU for a very large sum of money only for the ACU to sneak its way back in, creating new jobs for those in ACU events and moving sideways officials from the IOM that had been doing a good job.
Did the ACU pay the Money back to the IOM Taxpayers before jumping back on the Gravy train again.
12-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
A couple of points regarding the Subaru Sponsorship and their Demonstration Lap (record attempt) on the course.

The TT is a motorcycle based event, why are car sponsors who have no connection to motorcycles being accepted as major sponsors and being allowed to associate their products to the most arduous event in the world, for motorcyclists ? (ok cars were involved with the TT over 100 years ago, but not since then).

It could be understood if the involvement of such organisations were for example - Honda, Peugeot, BMW or Suzuki or any other manufacturer who has a foot in both camps, so to speak.

The fact that Subaru have now accomplished what they set out to do, albeit with a car that would appear to be only available in the USA, will this lead to further 4 wheel drive Demonstration Laps (record attempts) around the mountain circuit ?

I dread to think what could follow - John Deere, JCB, Caterpillar (with Clarkson or his sidekick Hamster, no doubt at the wheel ) ???????

Does the insurance required for the motorcycle racing coverage also include coverage for the 4 wheeled vehicle to attempt a flying lap to achieve a new lap record for this type of transportation, if not, who pays for any additional premium ?

The Road Racing aspect of the TT Festival event itself is "managed" by the ACU is it not. In that case, does this mean that the ACU also manages the 4 wheel vehicle attempts at lap records ? If not, (and I believe that is the case) under what "controls/jurisdiction" are such record attempts undertaken.

I dread to think of the general repercussions and the resultant effect on the main event, if the 4 wheeled vehicle were to be involved in any type of "accident" on the circuit that resulted in injuries to spectators and/or damage to private property adjacent to the roads around the circuit.

If (God forbid) the vehicle was involved in an incident whereby control of the vehicle was lost and then ended up crashing into a private residence, this could potentially result in a far more serious incident by way of the overall damage incurred directly or collaterally and the consequential repercussions could thereby be potentially terminal for the TT and the Manx Grand Prix.

There are many who are of the opinion that the marketing arm of the TT "Festival" are leading the event onto a slippery slope and that the brand "TT" is being diminished for the sake of the mighty dollar.

The TT Races are a totally worldwide unique event and the Road Racing that takes place constitutes, and deserves the accolade of being "The Event", and not all of the peripheral diversions now being incorporated into "The Festival".

The die-hards are all pretty much against any encroachment upon the long established agenda and criteria for inclusion within the annual fortnightly period of activity, and well they might, as with "progress" as it is being promoted, there comes many negative aspects as well as the positives.

A personal opinon based on observances and discussions partaken.
(This post was last modified: 16-06-2011, 09:05 AM by Malcolm.)
14-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Website Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
(14-06-2011, 06:17 PM)Malcolm Wrote: A couple of points regarding the Subaru Sponsorship and their Demonstration Lap (record attempt) on the course.

The TT is a motorcycle based event, why are car sponsors who have no connection to motorcycles being accepted as major sponsors and being allowed to associate their products to the most arduous event in the world, for motorcyclists ? (ok cars were involved with the TT over 100 years ago, but not since then).

It could be understood if the involvement of such organisations were for example - Honda, Peugeot, BMW or Suzuki or any other manufacturer who has a foot in both camps, so to speak.

The fact that Subaru have now accomplished what they set out to do, albeit with a car that would appear to be only available in the USA, will this lead to further 4 wheel drive Demonstration Laps (record attempts) around the mountain circuit ?

I dread to think what could follow - John Deere, JCB, Caterpillar (with Clarkson or his sidekick Hamster, no doubt at the wheel ) ???????

Does the insurance required for the motorcycle racing coverage also include coverage for the 4 wheeled vehicle to attempt a flying lap to achieve a new lap record for this type of transportation, if not, who pays for any additional premium ?

The Road Racing aspect of the TT Festival event itself is "managed" by the ACU is it not. In that case, does this mean that the ACU also manages the 4 wheel vehicle attempts at lap records ? If not, (and I believe that is the case) under what "controls/jurisdiction" are such record attempts undertaken.

I dread to think of the general repercussions and the resultant effect on the main event, if the 4 wheeled vehicle were to be involved in any type of "accident" on the circuit that resulted in injuries to spectators and/or damage to private property adjacent to the roads around the circuit.

If (God forbid) the vehicle was involved in an incident whereby control of the vehicle was lost and then ended up crashing into a private residence, this could potentially result in a far more serious incident by way of the overall damage incurred directly or collaterally and the consequential repercussions could thereby be potentially terminal for the TT and the Manx Grand Prix.

There are many who are of the opinion that the marketing arm of the TT "Festival" are leading the event onto a slippery slope and that the brand "TT" is being diminished for the sake of the mighty dollar.

The TT Races are a totally worldwide unique event and the Road Racing that takes place constitutes the accolade of being "The Event", and not all of the peripheral diversions now being incorporated into "The Festival".

The die-hards are all pretty much against any encroachment upon the long established agenda and criteria for inclusion within the annual fortnightly period of activity, and well they might, as with "progress" as it is being promoted, there comes many negative aspects as well as the positives.

A personal opinon based on observances and discussions partaken.

Must say I agree with most of the above comments
14-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Frankly I think the Subaru laps were the most insane idea I have ever witnessed.....After seeing Alan McNish crash in the Le Mans I blenched to think what would have been the result of that Subaru going out of control and going into a group of spectators on the TT Course...I believe Mr Higgins, good rally driver he may be, still managed to do a "tank slapper" at one point on the course and if this had happened approaching the Crosby Hotel where I was watching, it could have taken out the hotel, my friends and me !

I appreciate the need for sponsorship but to put in fast laps on a circuit where spectators are so close to the action is putting not only the spectators at risk but also the TT itself.....

Otherwise I enjoyed the TT even though it seemed disjointed at times and one group of organisers didn't seem to know what another group were doing.

The Senior was, and always is the best race of the week and I have learned to accept that we are back to three solo classes (like the olden days !) plus the sidecars ......

The technology we can now use to follow the TT is awesome. I sat in the Crosby with my two laptop computers and could see progress of each rider, sometimes before the commentators did.

Add to this the increasing number of webcams and we had great way of knowing where each rider was going fast etc.

I still love the whole TT period but think there must be a rethink about parade laps. The ones we witnessed this year were a shadow of other years.

Ferry Brouwer brought some lovely machinery but we saw very little of them....And David dumped his Dads Honda !!

Did the world famous TT really need its profile raised by a couple of MotoGP riders ?? I actually think MotoGP needs something to raise its profile !!!!

Main memories of 2011 were the rides by Conor Cummins who deserved his very special Award (Spirit of the TT) and Hutchy doing a lap with the cage on his leg. The TV coverage in HD is the best I have seen !

I loved the Vulcan !!!

Roll on 2012 when I can get back over ------- hoping to see Sandor Bitter with works machinery...That guy deserves it....
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 15-06-2011, 01:38 PM by ian huntly.)
15-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

(15-06-2011, 01:04 PM)ian huntly Wrote: Frankly I think the Subaru laps were the most insane idea I have ever witnessed.....After seeing Alan McNish crash in the Le Mans I blenched to think what would have been the result of that Subaru going out of control and going into a group of spectators on the TT Course...I believe Mr Higgins, good rally driver he may be, still managed to do a "tank slapper" at one point on the course and if this had happened approaching the Crosby Hotel where I was watching, it could have taken out the hotel, my friends and me !

I appreciate the need for sponsorship but to put in fast laps on a circuit where spectators are so close to the action is putting not only the spectators at risk but also the TT itself.....

Otherwise I enjoyed the TT even though it seemed disjointed at times and one group of organisers didn't seem to know what another group were doing.

Ian, Good thinking perhaps the TT organizers could "sell" a package to the British MotoGP organization of Top TT riders on TT bikes for a parade demonstration lap during one of their breaks.!. That would certainly raise the profile of MotoGP.

The Senior was, and always is the best race of the week and I have learned to accept that we are back to three solo classes (like the olden days !) plus the sidecars ......

The technology we can now use to follow the TT is awesome. I sat in the Crosby with my two laptop computers and could see progress of each rider, sometimes before the commentators did.

Add to this the increasing number of webcams and we had great way of knowing where each rider was going fast etc.

I still love the whole TT period but think there must be a rethink about parade laps. The ones we witnessed this year were a shadow of other years.

Ferry Brouwer brought some lovely machinery but we saw very little of them....And David dumped his Dads Honda !!

Did the world famous TT really need its profile raised by a couple of MotoGP riders ?? I actually think MotoGP needs something to raise its profile !!!!

Main memories of 2011 were the rides by Conor Cummins who deserved his very special Award (Spirit of the TT) and Hutchy doing a lap with the cage on his leg. The TV coverage in HD is the best I have seen !

I loved the Vulcan !!!

Roll on 2012 when I can get back over ------- hoping to see Sandor Bitter with works machinery...That guy deserves it....
15-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23

Be careful what you wish for Ian,that statement could equally apply to bikes.!
(This post was last modified: 15-06-2011, 10:02 PM by beepee.)
15-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

I was careful to think what I was saying here......Somehow, one thinks that a bike "lies down" when crashing but a bulky car just goes on rolling on and on and on !!

Still, I think I was right to fear the consequences of Subaru Mayhem !
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
16-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Website Find Reply
George Offline

At least three other manufacturers have asked to have an attempt at the car lap record
16-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Where have you got that information from George ?

Are you aware as to who they are ?
16-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
(16-06-2011, 06:32 PM)George Wrote: At least three other manufacturers have asked to have an attempt at the car lap record

Could this be the first step towards the suicide of the TT?

Dodgy
16-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

(15-06-2011, 09:05 PM)pat slinn Wrote:
(15-06-2011, 01:04 PM)ian huntly Wrote: Frankly I think the Subaru laps were the most insane idea I have ever witnessed.....After seeing Alan McNish crash in the Le Mans I blenched to think what would have been the result of that Subaru going out of control and going into a group of spectators on the TT Course...I believe Mr Higgins, good rally driver he may be, still managed to do a "tank slapper" at one point on the course and if this had happened approaching the Crosby Hotel where I was watching, it could have taken out the hotel, my friends and me !

Ian, Good thinking perhaps the TT organizers could "sell" a package to the British MotoGP organization of Top TT riders on TT bikes for a parade demonstration lap during one of their breaks.!. That would certainly raise the profile of MotoGP.

I loved the Vulcan !!!

That is a good idea of yours Ian, perhaps the TT authorities could sell to the British MotoGP a parade lap of top TT riders and TT bikes, and perhaps that might "up" the profile of MotoGP, it certainly needs it.
16-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
I have to say I agree with most of what Ian says.The only thing I don't agree on is Hutchy's lap.I have to admire his toughness at doing that lap,and his super ability,but in view of his injury and the external fixator on his leg,was he insured should he have crashed? As with the cars,he could have injured others.Health and safety?
16-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

(16-06-2011, 07:44 PM)larryd Wrote:
(16-06-2011, 06:32 PM)George Wrote: At least three other manufacturers have asked to have an attempt at the car lap record

Dodgy

Money dictates the TT now, and these manufacturers pay top dollar for the chance to race the TT.
16-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
(16-06-2011, 11:12 PM)George Wrote:
(16-06-2011, 07:44 PM)larryd Wrote:

Dodgy

Money dictates the TT now, and these manufacturers pay top dollar for the chance to race the TT.
I don't like the sound of all of this............... Although I love 4 wheel racing I don't think the TT course is the place for a 4 wheel demonstration......demonstration?
17-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

So, -- the word on the street is that yes there are a couple of CAR manufacturers who have come forward as potential "Sponsors" of future "TT Festival" events, by way of being allowed to perform a "Demonstration Lap" around the TT circuit with one or more of their (soon to be sold) models.

It is hoped that the money they are putting up to be allowed to do this, will more than pay for the additional insurance premiums that will be required to permit a 4 wheel vehicle to race around the TT circuit at speed, and perhaps, who knows, some of it may filter down to those at the bottom of the pecking order when it comes to Start/Prize money ???

It is accepted nowadays that events such as the "TT Festival" require ever increasing amounts of finance and that where this comes from appears to be totally irrelevant to the core intent of the event being sponsored. Look at Football today as a prime example.

Can we perhaps expect to see Aero Racing around the Island next, or maybe even Hot Air Balloon Racing. They are after all, both means of transportation and do have some relevance to the TT in that respect.

Maybe even the re-establishment of the Clypse course for Penny Farthing racing (they are classics after all and meet the green legislation don't they ?) However no room for 2 strokes, 400's or Big Singles, which would provide added entertainment and certainly keep the "punters" happy between the main racing activities.

It is thought by many that the TT is on a long and lengthy slippery slope, and that its heritage and historical values are being compromised with scant regard for the event, to simply please both the "bosses" and the sponsors, All for what would appear to be, the sake of the mighty dollar !!
17-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Website Find Reply
George Offline

Its funny, they tell the middle and lower ranking riders there no money left in the kitty to give them some start money, but when the grass gets wet in the A paddock many £1000s can be found to supply and lay 200 ton of gravel down to level the trucks and many £1000s more to supply the labour and timber to build stages outside all the big trucks.

And did any notice the many, many hire cars with ACU stickers on that were parked in paddock C resulting in pushing riders and teams down into the shi**y fields
(This post was last modified: 17-06-2011, 08:40 PM by Malcolm.)
17-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
The 'word on the street is incorrect'. No other car manufacturers have asked to do a demonstration lap of any kind of the TT Course. The DED has a commercial agreement with Subaru for a further two years that sees them supply sponsorship funding and course cars in return for a package of sponsorship rights (branding etc). The laps that took place this year were scheduled for this year only.

Sponsorship revenues in the TT are increasing sharply with all funds raised being ploughed back into the event, primarily into improvements in safety and infrastructure.

Many £1,000's were not spent on gravel in paddock A. A small fee was paid to put some hard standing in to allow trucks to park in poor conditions. This was budgeted for expenditure. If it hadn't been spent the trucks would not have been able to park for several days into the TT event which wouldn't be appropriate.

Floors installed by teams in Paddock A were paid for by the respective teams themselves and not by the DED. The DED agreed to pay for one floor to be erected which was due to a problem following the aforementioned hard standing being laid.

Paul Phillips
TT & Motorsport Development Manager
17-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

(17-06-2011, 09:22 PM)Paul Phillips Wrote: The 'word on the street is incorrect'. No other car manufacturers have asked to do a demonstration lap of any kind of the TT Course. The DED has a commercial agreement with Subaru for a further two years that sees them supply sponsorship funding and course cars in return for a package of sponsorship rights (branding etc). The laps that took place this year were scheduled for this year only.

Can you provide a 100% guarantee that this wont happen in 2012

Sponsorship revenues in the TT are increasing sharply with all funds raised being ploughed back into the event, primarily into improvements in safety and infrastructure.

Many £1,000's were not spent on gravel in paddock A. A small fee was paid to put some hard standing in to allow trucks to park in poor conditions. This was budgeted for expenditure. If it hadn't been spent the trucks would not have been able to park for several days into the TT event which wouldn't be appropriate.

Floors installed by teams in Paddock A were paid for by the respective teams themselves and not by the DED. The DED agreed to pay for one floor to be erected which was due to a problem following the aforementioned hard standing being laid.

Paul Phillips
TT & Motorsport Development Manager

What about the Race service vans Of Ernie Coats and Co being told that they are not welcome, Is this untrue or will someone call these important people to the events liars ?

Have Toyota Motors not made an approach to attempt a lap of the TT ?

Have riders not in the top 15 also been banned from having a camera on their bikes, something that could gain them some sponsorship, as well as being a learning tool ????.

Why did the IOM Gov buy the rights or whatever deal from the ACU only for them to get their feet back in the door. ???.

Did another film company offer to produce coverage of the TT for free to the same degree as has been shown this year ???.

Why was more pressure put on riders and teams senior race day after they had prepared to race by asking them to empty their pits of all fuel and equipment ?

And finally please tell us all, - what is more important a TT bike race or a demo lap by a car ?

We await your answer on this. I doubt you will.
(This post was last modified: 18-06-2011, 08:04 AM by Malcolm.)
17-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

......and please tell me, a credited photographer who has been coming to the TT for 64 years, why I was told I was illegally taking photographs in 3D (for my non-commercial experimental website in the old style anaglyph 3D red/cyan) because a certain Isle of Man company had total and sole rights to 3D photography.... ???

Where is this written ???

I started my experiments in STILL 3D long before the film was even conceived !

It's all getting a bit closed-shop !
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 19-06-2011, 07:30 PM by ian huntly.)
19-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Website Find Reply