IOM TT 2011
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
RE: IOM TT 2011
(19-06-2011, 07:23 PM)ian huntly Wrote: ......and please tell me, a credited photographer who has been coming to the TT for 64 years, why I was told I was illegally taking photographs in 3D (for my non-commercial experimental website in the old style anaglyph 3D red/cyan) because a certain Isle of Man company had total and sole rights to 3D photography.... ???

Where is this written ???

I started my experiments in STILL 3D long before the film was even conceived !

It's all getting a bit closed-shop !

Ian, At this years TT Race Mission gave away well over 500 bottles of water to competitors, mechanics, teams, officials and marshals and others. I was approached by somebody who told me that I could be flaunting some kind of a regulation whereby the franchise for supplying liquid refreshment in the grandstand area had been sold to a retail firm, and it could be construed that I was undermining them by giving it away thus depriving them (the retailer) of the business . I don't know if there is any truth in this, perhaps somebody could let me know.
19-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
Apologies for the delay in replying, but I was taking part in a 24hour mountain bike race for charity at the weekend and this is the first real chance to go on line. I will answer all questions as best I can.

Q1 What about the Race service vans Of Ernie Coats and Co being told that they are not welcome, Is this untrue or will someone call these important people to the events liars?

A1 Yes this is untrue. Nobody has been told they are not welcome.

Q2 Have Toyota Motors not made an approach to attempt a lap of the TT ?

A2 No. Nor have two other manufacturers (or in fact any other manufacturers) as previously stated by George. This is pure fantasy.

Q3 Have riders not in the top 15 also been banned from having a camera on their bikes, something that could gain them some sponsorship, as well as being a learning tool ????.

A3 Nobody has ever been allowed to run an on board camera without the permission of the Clerk of the Course. The ruling in the regulations which mentions the top 15 is to ensure that any of those bikes can carry one without too much prior arrangement. It is important that on board cameras are fitted properly. The CoC has given permission for non broadcast rights holders to run cameras in the past, and at the same time there have been instances where people have fitted cameras of their own after technical inspection which have subsequently fell of a machine on a lap of the TT Course.

Q4 Why did the IOM Gov buy the rights or whatever deal from the ACU only for them to get their feet back in the door. ???.

A4 IOMGov obtained the rights to run the TT so it could take control of the event and maximise the earning potential from it by effectively becoming the promoter. ACU Events are contracted to organise the competitive element of the event and nothing more.

Q5 Did another film company offer to produce coverage of the TT for free to the same degree as has been shown this year ???.

Q5 The broadcast rights for the TT were awarded subject to tender in line with the financial regulations on the basis of quality of service and value for money. Nobody at that time offered to 'do it for free'.

Q6 Why was more pressure put on riders and teams senior race day after they had prepared to race by asking them to empty their pits of all fuel and equipment ?

A6 I agree that this was unfortunate. The fuel had to be emptied due to items in the safety plan for the Subaru lap. However, this wouldn't have been an issue had the car lap took place in its allotted time. The reason it was brought forward was at the request of a number of riders who wanted the time and the traffic on the course to allow time for the conditions to improve. This proved to be a good move as the race went ahead in good conditions and was an excellent race with no incidents.

Q7 And finally please tell us all, - what is more important a TT bike race or a demo lap by a car ?

A7 A TT Race

Q8 and please tell me, a credited photographer who has been coming to the TT for 64 years, why I was told I was illegally taking photographs in 3D (for my non-commercial experimental website in the old style anaglyph 3D red/cyan) because a certain Isle of Man company had total and sole rights to 3D photography.... ???

A8 I'd be interested to know who told you this Ian. Clearly this isn't correct.

Q9 At this years TT Race Mission gave away well over 500 bottles of water to competitors, mechanics, teams, officials and marshals and others. I was approached by somebody who told me that I could be flaunting some kind of a regulation whereby the franchise for supplying liquid refreshment in the grandstand area had been sold to a retail firm, and it could be construed that I was undermining them by giving it away thus depriving them (the retailer) of the business . I don't know if there is any truth in this, perhaps somebody could let me know.

A9 As with my reply above, I'd be interested to know who told you this Pat. Again, this is incorrect.

Regards

Paul Phillips
TT & Motorsport Development Manager
20-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Thank you Paul for replying and explaining why it was only now this morning that you could do so.

Whilst the last two points 8 & 9 have left you with no resolutionary answer as yet, to respond with, will you fully investigate the matter and revert with developments on same ?

Point 1 still appears to be in contention and I suppose only resolution to this will be provided if the "offended" are prepared to come forward with their own public statements and identify who the individual is who has informed them of their "unwanted " status.

Point 2 is still contentious to a degree as the point being made by George is not quite factually correct (I am being informed). Rather, a.n.other organisation has been approached to record the filming of attempts by "other" manufacturers. It could however be that this is simply the initial step in the process prior to application being made to the Government, or perhaps the application has been made and is simply awaiting process.

Points 3 & 4 - Understood.

Point 5 - Certainly seems strange that anyone would provide such a service for free as they would have to at least cover their basic overheads at the very least.

Point 6 - Understood.

Point 7 - Understood.
20-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Website Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
I have again spoken to the owners of the service vans, and they state again that they were told that they were not wanted in the Paddock they presented a bad image and that the TT was an international even and the teams should or do carry the spares needed.

As a matter of urgency I think this should be cleared up as it could end up with no support vans at the MGP this year.

Their words not mine.

Riders out of the top 15 WERE denied the use of a camera on their bikes by Technical inspectors. As to a camera being a safety issue a good mechanic would make sure that any camera fitted was secure.
Was it not the fitting of a camera by a skilled technician that caused Mick Ds bike to expire during racing ???

Why was so many passes handed out to people not involved with racing, giving then access to the walled area of pit lane whiceh caused some teams problems getting back to their pit areas with Tyres. Also may of the riders families who had tickets for the reserved seating were turned away due to the amount of passes handed out to NON race people.

Thanks for the reply Paul, this topic is in no way a personal attack on you or your staff.
(This post was last modified: 20-06-2011, 12:35 PM by George.)
20-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
I agree, we are not attacking you, Paul, but I must say that some of your staff seem to interpret certain important rules and regulations to suit the time of day and try to confuse others when all they are doing is confusing themselves.

Statements have been made in a number of instances which are now proving to be unfounded and untrue.

I would therefore beg you Paul to clarify the issues with your staff and prevent this happening next year......
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 20-06-2011, 01:13 PM by ian huntly.)
20-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Website Find Reply
George Offline

Heard there was a big meeting today and it was discussed about putting the prices up to the Vendors in the Paddock. The main Burger van Toxic,s being increased from £9k to £11k, Ice cream Vans being charged £500 per 20 feet. Also hear that the area behind the Hospitality area is to be fenced off to allow other vendors and bike shows.
And Guess what at this year MGP on the Saturday the paddock is to be a Classic car show, What the feck cars have to do with the MGP I dont know.

WHATS HAPPENING IS ONLY THE THIN EDGE OF THE WEDGE, Blush

I believe thats todays meeting was an exercise to get as money as possible out of the races.
07-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
It certainly appears that the show is getting bigger.
As long as the general public can find more entertainment and better facilities on offer, without being ripped off, why should anyone complain?
09-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
(17-06-2011, 10:06 AM)Jan Grainger Wrote:
(16-06-2011, 11:12 PM)George Wrote:
(16-06-2011, 07:44 PM)larryd Wrote:
(16-06-2011, 06:32 PM)George Wrote: At least three other manufacturers have asked to have an attempt at the car lap record

Could this be the first step towards the suicide of the TT?

Dodgy

Money dictates the TT now, and these manufacturers pay top dollar for the chance to race the TT.
I don't like the sound of all of this............... Although I love 4 wheel racing I don't think the TT course is the place for a 4 wheel demonstration......demonstration?

They are doing this only because the Isle of Man can offer a long closed road on which they can go as fast as they can......

The "Car People" couldn't care less about what the TT is !
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
09-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Website Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
(09-07-2011, 04:50 PM)ian huntly Wrote: They are doing this only because the Isle of Man can offer a long closed road on which they can go as fast as they can......

The "Car People" couldn't care less about what the TT is !

Ian, this may be true on the adjacent isle but is far for the truth here on The Island. Many motorsport enthusiasts here support and/or compete on two and four wheels, and in numerous other sporting disciplines.

The goodwill and generosity of a large percentage of the 80,000 population provides endless support to enable a whole host of activities to take place.

Were such bigotry to exist here, to put on such a range of high quality sporting events simply would not be feasible, and the tremendous, sometimes world-class, sporting achievements from such a small population would not be possible.
09-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Well, I sure hope the Vendors will be there for the MGP... I need them..!! I need a new set of Avon's and a new chain...(and who knows what else..??) There is not enough room in the shipping crate for the tires. And the chain.. well it is pretty heavey for the size... So I plan (as in prior years) to buy those items there... Besides, it just seems wrong for me to buy genuined Made in England tires in the states, then bring them back...

Cheers..!!

Ron - what 40 days until first practice..!!
09-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1
Hmm, as a relative "Newbie" to the IoM, (first visit TT 1967 - 20 years less than Ian Icon_biggrin), I still feel that the race days this year were diluted with the car events. This was mainly due to the loss of valuable course time which, was limited because of variable weather.

The income from the four wheeled sponsors must be considerable but should not be given priority over actual bike racing.

Local chat by the more experienced members of my marshalling point came up with the suggestion that "They" should have started off the TT Zero bikes immediately after the "Demo Car" had passed the Grandstand. Now, I don't know how this may have affected the Safety Plans of the Car and Electric Bikes but these could have been coped with around the course. It was pointed out, at the marshal post, that the bikes would never catch up with the car and that both events were "One Lappers". So I would support such a change, should we have to tolerate the event repeated in 2012.

Better still, negotiate with the Southern 100 Club and put the Electric Bikes round the Billown circuit for six laps from a massed start. That would be a better race.Icon_lol

Regarding the supporting Trade Vendors, the TT would not be the same without these, either essential parts or fast food. If, as George commented above, rents for Vendors is increased sharply then due to the proportionall highr selling prices, it will be perceived by riders and the public that they are really being ripped off.Icon_eek

(Ps Ian: I heard your request played on the radio. Louis Armstrong, as a "Thank you" to the Crosby for looking after you. Nice gesture.)
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2011, 07:33 AM by Chris Maybury.)
10-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Find Reply
George Offline

RE: IOM TT 2011 - Request from Vendors
Request from the Vendors.

Question requiring an answer by a TT official.

Some of the Vendors , (service vans) have been pushed out to the bottom Paddock, they maintain that they were told this past TT that they were not wanted at the TT.

They have read a previous denial regarding this issue, but they do want an official answer on why they have been moved from their usual positions in the paddock. Was it a cost issue or simply a case of not being wanted at the TT, as they were informed.

In addition, can you answer why a T Shirt stand was allowed to operate in the top paddock while the service vans were denied this privilege.

Any profits these independent service vans may make at the TT is ploughed back into their losses attending the MGP and S100. Without these services being available at these other events, there could be a safety issue. If they stop coming they will be gone forever, then what happens ?

Come on give us an answer.

What is more important in the top paddock, a T Shirt stand or a service Stand ?
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2011, 10:26 AM by Malcolm.)
10-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Find Reply