Subaru Releases Video of Record-Setting Isle of Man TT Run
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Subaru Releases Video of Record-Setting Isle of Man TT Run
Having recently set a new record for a production car on the Isle of Man TT motorcycle circuit, Subaru has now released a video to document the feat on the 200 turn, 37 mile course.

The mostly stock WRX STI was driven by Isle of Man native Mark Higgins who managed to shave 20 seconds off his first 19:56.7 run. With a new 19:37 time Higgins further solidifies himself in the record book, edging slight closer, but still very far away, from the motorcycle record. That time is a 17:12.3, set by John McGuinness in a Honda CBR1000RR back in 2009.

“This is one of the most daunting tracks I have ever driven, and the most terrifying,” said Higgins, a Manx native. “We were only able to get two practice runs and on our second practice I had the biggest ‘moment’ of my career. We had a passenger on the run and so coming into Bray Hill at more than 150 MPH, the extra weight compressed the suspension more than on previous runs and shifted the Subaru to the left and then right as I corrected–it was a real tank slapper. The whole thing went by so quickly that we never slowed below 110 MPH, and then we were back on the power. It was amazing and the helicopter shots really show just how hairy it really was.”

Watch the YouTube uploaded version of the attempt HERE

I have uploaded this because it is a matter of interest to a lot of people and I suppose that it promotes the TT in some way. I leave the decision on the validity and purpose of the attempt, and the authenticity of the film against what it is like to do a lap at speed around the circuit etc up to the individual.

All I will add is that he was one hell of a lucky bloke and his "incident" at the bottom of Bray Hill could have been oh so much, much worse.
24-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Website Find Reply