Successful Scarborough outing for Farquhar
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Successful Scarborough outing for Farquhar
[Image: ryanfhdr.gif]

Ryan Farquhar enjoyed a successful day's racing at Oliver's Mount, Scarborough on Sunday taking 4 wins including the feature Barry Sheene Classic Superbike Trophy race. Riding an assortment of machinery, Ryan took wins on Roger Winfield's XR69 1000cc Suzuki and his own Kawasaki ER6 Supertwin as well as claiming a new class lap record in the Classic Superbike race, his only disappointment on the day being a mechanical failure with the 500cc Paton.

Held in glorious conditions, Ryan's opening race was the first leg of the 400cc and Supertwins, a race he led from start to finish on his KMR ER6 Kawasaki, and his eventual winning margin over Ivan Lintin was 16.95 seconds. He then rode the same machine in the Open race although he pulled in after just a couple of laps deciding it wasn't safe to compete against 600cc and 1000cc machinery on the slower, but more nimble Supertwin. He was also forced to retire from the opening leg of the Denis Parkinson Trophy race, problems with the 500cc Paton causing him to grind to a halt on the penultimate lap at Mountside Hairpin whilst leading.

However, that was his last DNF of the day and he was unbeaten in the remainder of his races. The second leg of the 400cc/Supertwins was another benefit for Ryan, his winning margin on this occasion 10.5seconds, again over Lintin, and he then swapped to the big XR69 Suzuki for the second leg of the Geoff Barry Superbike event, a race he dominated eventually taking the chequered flag some 69 seconds ahead of his nearest rival! He also claimed a new class lap record of 74.831mph.

The feature race of the meeting, the six lap Barry Sheene Trophy Race for Classic Superbikes, was Ryan's final outing of the day and, with a near 9-second lead at the end of the first lap, he was never under threat on the Suzuki and at the end of the race, the margin of victory was almost 26 seconds as he swept to his 4th win of the day.

Speaking later, a happy Ryan said;

"It's been a good meeting for me today and although it's a shame the entry wasn't a bit bigger, you can only race who you're up against and I'm naturally pleased to come away with a number of wins and a new class lap record. There were a few date clashes with the meeting namely Goodwood and Spa but it was great to have such fine weather and see a big crowd turn out to support the event. The Paton was going really well in practice so it was a shame we broke down in the race but the big Suzuki was flying and the changes we've made to the carburation have been a major step forward. i couldn't fault the bike at all so I'm really looking forward to racing it at the Manx GP in August. I'd only taken my Supertwin with me and another two wins in that class was spot-on as we were close to lap record pace all day. I took the wee bike out in the first Open race but it was getting a bit dangerous as although I was a lot faster through the corners, the big bikes would come flying by along the straights and with some of the boys taking some weird and wonderful lines, I decided to park the bike and stick to the other classes. All in all, it's been a good day so I'm going to enjoy the rest of the week before heading over to the Isle of Man on Saturday to prepare for the Southern 100 road races. I'll have a full compliment of machinery there so it will be a busy old week."

Ryan's next meeting sees him back on the Isle of Man where he'll be defending his Southern 100 Championship, the event taking place from July 11-14.

Words: Phil Wain - Freelance PR
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
05-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Website Find Reply