TT World Series
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TT World Series
The Treasury Department have just released an "Expression of Interest" as per the following:-

The Department of Economic Development wishes to capitalise on the growing success of the Isle of Man TT brand through the creation of a global TT World Series.

The objective of the proposal is to create additional income streams for the Isle of Man from the TT brand through a series of road race events which reflect the character and values of the TT.

The TT World Series must provide an attractive and commercial opportunity for participating locations whilst protecting the reputation of the Isle of Man and the commercial potential of the TT brand.

Expressions of Interest are invited from individuals and/or businesses that have a proven track record in relevant consultancy work particularly in Global Motorsport to carry out a feasibility study into the TT World Series initiative.

So, can we look forward to a Carmelo Ezpeleta and/or a Bernie Ecclestone type character coming forward to promote and develop the TT "brand" worldwide ?

I wonder how that is going to pan out ???
22-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: TT World Series
ISLE OF MAN GOVERNMENT INVITES EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FOR TT RACES
WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CONSULTANCY POSITION

The Isle of Man Government Department of Economic Development, the commercial rights holders for the TT Races, has invited expressions of interest from individuals or businesses to carry out a feasibility study for the proposed TT Races World Championship Series. The move comes as the Department looks to capitalise on the growing popularity of the TT Races by creating additional revenue streams from the event.

The Department announced the intention to review the possibility of creating a TT World Series in March 2011 and this latest move is designed to further research the idea.

The intention is to build a platform that will increase the Isle of Man Government’s return on investment in the TT Races brand through sponsorship, television, licensing and hospitality, generate revenue earning opportunities for the competitors and teams who take part, and to provide economic and commercial benefits for the destinations and other commercial partners who host rounds. It will also seek to develop economic opportunities for the Island by promoting a greater awareness of the Isle of Man as a business jurisdiction.

Colin Kniveton, Chief Executive, Department of Economic Development commented:

“Having held preliminary discussions with teams and riders about the event we are now looking to take the proposal to the next stage by seeking expressions of interest from suitable qualified businesses or individuals, with global motorsport experience, to provide the Department with an initial feasibility study which will set out the mechanics of how a TT World Series might operate. We believe that with the growing interest in the TT Races, the World Series has great potential both to generate revenue and also increase the profile of the Isle of Man and the TT Races.”

Interested parties are required to register with Rebecca Williamson, Procurement Services, The Treasury, Government Office, Bucks Road, Douglas, Isle of Man IM1 3PU or email rebecca.williamson@gov.im by 5th August 2011.

Download - Expressions of Interest TT World Series
22-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
The TT is unique to the Isle of Man (Ok, there is a Dutch TT) because it is a Time Trial, for the Tourist Trophy.

We get entries mainly from Ireland and the UK with a smattering of continentals and antipodeans plus the odd eastern european entry.

Unless there is representation of other countries on our planet it can't be called a World Series. Unless similar races are held on the five continents it can't be called a world series.......

In America there is the World Series of Baseball (Rounders for men) but it was called "world" because of a sponsor of that name. The world series is also limited to american teams.

I can understand the desire to go planet after all the ever-expanding publicity with DVDs and 3D films but unless we get representatives of Africa, Mongolia, Antarctic, Korea, Greenland etc participating, a title saying "World Series" really is a laugh. Think again please.........

Observations please
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
27-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Website Find Reply
pppdrive Offline

Threads: 0
(27-07-2011, 10:26 AM)ian huntly Wrote: The TT is unique to the Isle of Man (Ok, there is a Dutch TT) because it is a Time Trial, for the Tourist Trophy.

We get entries mainly from Ireland and the UK with a smattering of continentals and antipodeans plus the odd eastern european entry.

Unless there is representation of other countries on our planet it can't be called a World Series. Unless similar races are held on the five continents it can't be called a world series.......

In America there is the World Series of Baseball (Rounders for men) but it was called "world" because of a sponsor of that name. The world series is also limited to american teams.

I can understand the desire to go planet after all the ever-expanding publicity with DVDs and 3D films but unless we get representatives of Africa, Mongolia, Antarctic, Korea, Greenland etc participating, a title saying "World Series" really is a laugh. Think again please.........

Observations please

Possible, as Mongolia certainly has the Horse Power but I think it'd be skating on thin ice to include Antartica. Seriously though I can see a possible increase in exposure with the IOM TT being the lead event in a World Series. There appear to be a lot of dangers though with the possibility that the whole thing could end up like a bigger MotoGP shambles (without the Moto2 and 125s, is the MotoGP even worth watching?). Worth looking into as long as a hasty decision is not made in my opinion.
27-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
There is a International road racing series which has full grids at its events, its called the IRRC, held in Belgium, Holland,Germany and the Czech Republic.
27-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1
During 2005 / 2006, the Cape Breton Island (Nova Scotia) administration attempted to stage a Mini "TT" during their September 2006 Festival of Speed Week. Meeting1

The plan for a race on the public roads was squashed in May of 2006, after some "Do-Gooders" heard that it was a bit dangerous and people could get hurt. Icon_eek

Having pledged my support, I attended for the week for the other activities and the folks there made a bit fuss about us coming. My wife and I have limited issue little pin badges to commemorate that we completed a lap of the Cape Breton Island TT Course. Cool

There is still an undercover group of dedicated people over in Canada, who are hoping for a change of attitude so that they can have another go at racing on public roads. Party1

From my personal experience, the proposed "TT Course" would have needed o lot of expensive TLC to overcome the safety issues, remembering of course, that the hard Canadian winters take their toll on road surfaces.
[Image: FestivalofSpeedlogo1.jpg]
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
(This post was last modified: 28-07-2011, 07:19 AM by Chris Maybury.)
28-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
(27-07-2011, 11:15 PM)George Wrote: There is a International road racing series which has full grids at its events, its called the IRRC, held in Belgium, Holland,Germany and the Czech Republic.

You are quite correct George, but i think the TT Series that is being proposed is in a 'different league' to the IRRC. I think I probably prefer the IRRC version, but TV, and money can 'talk'.
29-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Find Reply