Disappointment at Dundrod for Cummins
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390

Conor Cummins suffered a disappointing time at Dundrod last week where he was competing in both the Dundrod 150 and Ulster Grand Prix road races. The Ramsey rider suffered a number of mechanical problems during both qualifying and the races and his best result came in the opening race of the day with 6th in the Superstock race.

Engine problems during qualifying meant that Conor had to start Thursday's Dundrod 150 Superbike race from the back of the grid but by the end of the first lap, he had worked his way up to a good 7th and was right on the back wheel of fellow Kawasaki riders Michael Dunlop and Ian Lougher. However, with rain falling, the race was stopped and ultimately cancelled as time ran out. That meant that Saturday's Superstock event would be his first race in anger and after more rain fell in the morning, Conor opted for a wet front tyre and intermediate rear. By the time the race started though a dry line was appearing and the tyre choice proved to be the wrong one as those with cut slicks profited. Neverthless, Conor put in a spirited ride and enjoyed a good battle with Steve Mercer and Cameron Donald, one he ultimately won, to take 6th place.

[Image: conordundrod1.jpg]

The next races saw disappointment though as the 600cc machine refused to fire up and he had to pull off the grid before the race had even started. He started the feature Ulster GP Superbike race but was an early retirement after the engine again went sick, losing power, and the clutch also began to slip. That just left two more races and he ensured his day ended with two finishes as he claimed 12th in the second Supersport race, after a race-long dice with short circuit boss Lougher and 8th in the second Superbike event, despite having to switch to the slightly less powerful Superstock machine.

Looking back on the meeting, a disappointed Conor said;

"I came here feeling the best I have done all season and had high hopes of getting some good results but it just hasn't happened for me. I wanted to have a real good go but mechanical problems have thwarted us and it's just been one thing after another so to not get a proper crack at it has been both frustrating and disappointing. It all started during qualifying for the Dundrod 150 when the engine in the Superbike went sick and although the boys worked really hard trying to fix it, trying different maps and all sorts, we had to park it up and use the 2009 bike instead. It's still a good bike though and although I had to start Thursday's race from the back of the grid, I'd got a good start and was up to 7th when the red flag came out. It was my first time on the bike in the wet and we had no settings at all but I felt really comfortable and was disappointed to see the race stopped."

"I went for the wrong tyres in the Superstock race on Saturday although I was surprised at how hard I could push the wet front given how much the track was drying out. I ended up having a good scrap with Steve and Cameron and was pleased to get the better of them both on the final lap. It proved to be as good as it got as we again struggled with the 600, it's just lacking a bit of power compared to the other bikes. After not even starting the first race, I had a good battle with Ian in the second although 12th isn't where I want to be and we then had further problems in the opening Superbike race when the clutch started to slip and I lost power too. I switched to the Superstock bike for the last race and at least was able to salvage a result at the end of the day. I gave it my all from beginning to end and the organisers made all the right calls during the day so I'm just disappointed I couldn't get the results I know I'm capable of. There's still plenty of racing left this season though so I'll look to chalk up as many points as I can in the Superstock series and end the season strongly."

Conor now turns his attention back to the Metzeler National Superstock 1000cc Championship and the Blackhorse Kawasaki team with round 9 of the series taking place at Cadwell Park, Lincolnshire on August 27-29.

Picture by Simon Patterson

Phil Wain
Freelance PR
16-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Website Find Reply