Should bikes race in the wet ?
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
RE: Should bikes race in the wet ?
Dare I add to this..? Well, as a Classic fan.. (or is that NUT..? or..??).. I have to smile a bit.

The rules state...
"Approved rear tyres for 500 cc machines are Avon AM22, Dunlop KR 124, KR124A and KR108. Other makes of tyre are acceptable providing the maximum width does not exceed 4.50” (114mm).

Now that Avon is a very good tire in the wet.. Years ago I used to run an Avon GP, which is still available... I wonder if that is considered OK..? (I suspect it is).. Now that Avon GP is as sticky as it gets...

Not sure what would make any tire a "full wet" that would fit on a Classic.. are there any..??

Cheers..!!

Ron
12-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Find Reply
tripod Offline

Threads: 0
(12-09-2011, 09:53 PM)George Wrote: Just to clarify things, this thread is not intended to slag off the COC, Technical crew, medics or Marshall's plus the many more people behind the scenes who in all weathers turn out and do a fine job.smilie

This is my last post on this thread.

Just to clarify things,
1 I have acted as a C of C and I believe the C of C should have full control of a race meeting.
2 I have a scrutineers licence.
3 I marshall at race meetings.

That's it, I've finished.
12-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
Any measures that possibly slow the ever increasing list in my eyes is the way forward, racing in the rain NO

This does not make good reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sna..._accidents
12-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Threads: 4
I remember each and every one of Joey,s races at the tt,both wet and dry. I also remember Joey,s last ride,and we all remember the conditions for that particular race. Should bikes race in the wet? THE rider will make his own mind up on that. Should the junior have started so early.NO. Tough decisions for all. PS, had to check,i thought for a minute I was on the other site.
13-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
I was told today that the money paid to the riders at the TT dictates the start of the races (start money) and for the seeded riders this could be many £1000s compared to the odd £100 the others get.

The big named riders mostly profesionals would want the best conditions to race in and this is to be expected if they want a big pay day.
13-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Find Reply
ade! Offline

Threads: 30
THEN, UNFORTUNATELY, THE TT HAS CEASED TO BE A SPORT.
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
15-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Find Reply
ammo Offline

Threads: 3
Racing in the wet? As we live in "The British Isles" not the South of France. YES
17-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Threads: 4
Just returned from Oulto n Park michelin cup. It was absolutely pouring down,bikes skidding down track,one bike retrieved with a JCB the bike in two pieces,all riders ok to my knowledge,.None of the bikes hit a wall or house,get my drift.No intention of upsetting anyone,just making a comment. Please take it that way.
17-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1
Going back to first principals, the original concept of the TT (remember Tourist Trophy) was to test, compare and prove motor cycles under the most severe and difficult "road" conditions. (Off road racing being a different concept).
During the 53 that I have been riding powered two wheelers for getting to work, fun, "touring", pilgrimages to the IoM, etc, I never had a choice of what the weather may be.
As has been said, the wet is a great leveller where the big bucks of high horsepower are less effective and more is down to rider skills and safe handling of the bikes.
I understand that the insurers won't allow racing on the Mountain Course if visibility precludes safe helicopter use but otherwise, I feel that racing should continue on wet roads with, of course, suitable tyres.
I've said it before (Sorry Malcolm) but I still believe that we should use different warning flags for oil and water.
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
18-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Well, maybe a slightly different perspective... many kinds of "sports" has their risks... I suspect you all have heard but the major tragedy at the Reno air show took out 9 people so far.. And only shear luck that the death toll was not in triple digits.. If we take the "risk" out of our sports, then we have (almost) no sports...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...plane.html

Yes LIFE is dangerous... none of us gets out alive... we take our risks as we see fit.

Geeesh 11 months until next year's MGP....

Ron
18-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Find Reply