Brookes wins after Title Fight scrap for supremacy
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Brookes wins after Title Fight scrap for supremacy
[Image: bsblogo.jpg]

Relentless Suzuki by TAS celebrated victory by securing the second race win of the day at Silverstone as the Title Fighters battled hard for the podium positions throughout the race ahead of the final championship decider at Brands Hatch in two weeks' time.

Brookes said:

"This is one of the sweetest wins of my career and I feel overwhelmed to win a race like that when you have been really fighting for it. I was conscious in the first race of not wanting to make a risky move but then I got angry in the second one after getting pushed around a bit by the other guys and just went for it. I just rode harder and I knew that with some harder passes I could get to the front and it was fun. Now I am just looking forward to Brands Hatch and those final three races as they will be a fight until the end too."

Hopkins took the lead on the opening lap from Michael Laverty and Shane 'Shakey' Byrne, but the Swan Yamaha moved from second to take the lead into Becketts as Byrne moved third at Stowe as the leading Title Fighters barged their way through the first part of the lap.

Laverty was still leading at the start of the second lap from Hopkins, Byrne and Hill as Brookes was sitting seventh and desperate to carve his way through to the front. The Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki rider snatched the lead into Copse from Laverty. Byrne then moved second ahead of the Swan Yamaha rider into Stowe as the Title Fighters diced for the positions.

Hopkins then held the lead until the fifth lap when Byrne fired the HM Plant Honda into the lead at Stowe, whilst Brookes was clashing with Jon Kirkham on the second Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki for sixth place with the Australian taking the edge.

On the sixth lap the pack streamed through with Byrne leading Hopkins and Laverty, but the Swan Yamaha rider went wide and that allowed Tommy Hill the chance to move up the order as Brookes passed Peter Hickman for fifth.

Hopkins then retook the lead at Stowe from Byrne as the pair duelled at the front. Brookes though was charging through the order and on the eighth lap he made a move on Laverty at Copse. At the front Byrne lined up a pass at Stowe but after the gap was closed the HM Plant Honda rider couldn't make it through and when he sat up he went wide as Hill was then able to move ahead. Brookes was then able to make a move on Byrne as he moved up to second behind Hopkins across the line.

Hill then stormed ahead at Farm to hit the front of the field as Brookes then moved ahead of Hopkins at the Loop, before the American cut back at Brooklands as the Suzuki rivals fought it out. Brookes finally took the second position from Hopkins at Village before he hit the front as he made a sensational move on race leader Hill at Club.

Brookes began to edge a lead as Hill, Hopkins, Laverty and Byrne fought for the final podium positions but as they started their final lap Chris Walker's Pr1mo Racing Kawasaki blew up on the start line and the race was red flagged.

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Silverstone, race two result:

Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki by TAS)
Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +1.633s
John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) +1.949s
Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) +2.110s
Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) +2.324s
Jon Kirkham (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) +2.562s
Peter Hickman (Tyco Honda) +2.980s
Michael Rutter (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +15.689s
Tommy Bridewell (Motorpoint Yamaha) +16.269s
Dan Linfoot (Tyco Honda) +16.598s

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings ahead of Brands Hatch season finale:

John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) 609
Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 601
Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 568
Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) 565
Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) 565
Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 521

26-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Website Find Reply
an old man returns Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Brookes wins after Title Fight scrap for supremacy
After all the flack directed at Brookes, that was a damn impressive ride.
I was there many times a few years ago, returned in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. SUPPORT THE MGP
26-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Find Reply