'Modular' solution to TT accommodation shortage
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
'Modular' solution to TT accommodation shortage
[Image: manxradiomain.gif]

A new concept for TT accommodation has the full support of a senior member of Douglas Borough Council.

Chairman of Leisure Services Sephen Pitts says the proposed use of so called 'sleep boxes' to create a 'modular hotel' is an excellent idea.

The Department of Economic Development wants to bring around 200 boxes to the Island, so a temporary hotel can be constructed at the bottom end of Noble's Park.

Councillor Pitts sees it as a great way to increase the number of beds available during festival fortnight:

07-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Website Find Reply
Big Gar Offline

Threads: 1
RE: 'Modular' solution to TT accommodation shortage
I'm in. Do you think this will happen?

Gar
09-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Boxes for 200.............................I'm sure they will help a bit but it would be easier to erect a few large marquees, with, or near facilities and only sleeping bags would be needed........

Is homestay getting harder to organise ??? Why not concentrate on getting some of the hotels back up and running ?
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
10-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(09-12-2011, 06:49 PM)Big Gar Wrote: I'm in. Do you think this will happen?

Gar

The IOM tourist board and the Steam packet company keep telling us that more and more people are attending the TT each year, so to accomadate everybody something like this must happen. However to make it successful, and not primitive a lot of thought must be given to the ground that they are going to be put on. It is no good just placing these "boxes" on the grass, as we all know grass turns into mud when it rains. A decent clean hard surface must be put in place to start with. Nice bright, clean warm toilet and shower blocks with a constant supply of hot water, must be built, not just portable toilet boxes. And thought must be given to how these folk are going to be fed, especially breakfast. It is no good expecting them to go a stand in a long line at one of the overpriced fast food caravans in the paddock. Folk need to be given a choice of food for breakfast. In other words, if the tourist board are going to do this, please do it right, no half measures. Please put as much thought and effort in to it as you did the hospitality in Nobles park, I have been told by a number of people that that is a half decent effort, clean, warm and professional.
10-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Find Reply
Big Gar Offline

What kind of accommodations can one find if they're ready to spend an amount of money somewhere between reasonable and obscene? I'm not looking so much for a budget trip. Ideally, I'm looking for a nice place to stay, maybe even renting a whole house and share it with a few other friends who want to come. I'd like quick access to simple, warm food, a nice pub, public transportation or possibly a hire car, and plenty of race action. Am I just far too late to get in on something like this? Will throwing money at the problem help? I truly don't know what I'm doing, and it's rather frustrating. I've been to Scotland a couple of times on golf trips, but never have tried to book a trip for an event like this so far from home. Is there any one-stop shopping that can just set the whole thing up? I'm always up for an adventure, and certainly don't need coddling (although I'm not averse to it Smile ) I just don't want to come halfway 'round the world and not be able to access anything or have to mess about for days getting to where I want to be.

Gar
10-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Well put.......listen to the FANS......what do they want and need.... ???
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
10-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Website Find Reply
bill Offline

(10-12-2011, 07:15 PM)Big Gar Wrote: What kind of accommodations can one find if they're ready to spend an amount of money somewhere between reasonable and obscene? I'm not looking so much for a budget trip. Ideally, I'm looking for a nice place to stay, maybe even renting a whole house and share it with a few other friends who want to come. I'd like quick access to simple, warm food, a nice pub, public transportation or possibly a hire car, and plenty of race action. Am I just far too late to get in on something like this? Will throwing money at the problem help? I truly don't know what I'm doing, and it's rather frustrating. I've been to Scotland a couple of times on golf trips, but never have tried to book a trip for an event like this so far from home. Is there any one-stop shopping that can just set the whole thing up? I'm always up for an adventure, and certainly don't need coddling (although I'm not averse to it Smile ) I just don't want to come halfway 'round the world and not be able to access anything or have to mess about for days getting to where I want to be.

Gar

Big Gar
look for a PM
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2011, 04:24 PM by bill.)
11-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Just back down from my loft....I have found that for which I have been looking.......

Isle of Man Examiner Tuesday June 5th 1990.................On page12 there is a half page photo of the TENTED VILLAGE in King George V Park....It states that the Steam Packet Magic Holidays operation was looking at expanding the theme in 1991...This village housed over 400 fans but had to go elsewhere because the park was going to be developed into the sports complex.....

Apparently the TENTED VILLAGE worked, with hot food (400 breakfasts !) and good facilities for washing and bodily functions.

Surely this operation should be tried again instead of spending masses of money bringing over modules........

Bring back a CUNNINGHAMS or HOWSTRAKE camp......it worked then, it will work again !!
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
12-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Website Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
12-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Find Reply