Mick Chatterton installed as TT Riders Association President
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Mick Chatterton installed as TT Riders Association President
[Image: bikesportnewslogo.jpg]

[Image: ttrahdr.jpg]

It came as no surprise to the guests at the TT Riders Association annual lunch that the main dish on the menu was Barnsley chop. For it was Mick Chatterton, son of that famous Yorkshire town, who did the traditional "ride in" as newly elected President of the TTRA for the coming year.

Three hundred guests covered their ears as what looked like a TZ Yamaha - Mick's favourite bike - revved its way into the auditorium at the Motorcycle Museum, near Birmingham's NEC, sounding like a modern-day MotoGP bike arriving on the grid!

As someone who saw his first TT in 1954 - when Ray Amm scored a famous Norton victory over Geoff Duke's Gilera, the race being stopped after four laps - Mick was greeted with warm and enthusiastic applause as he reminded a receptive audience that the TT, having been written off when it lost its world championship status in the seventies, had not only survived but prospered to be the most famous race in the world.

"And the reason," said the man who has competed in more TTs than any other solo rider, "is the Mountain Circuit. That is what makes the TT different and makes it better known round the world than any other race."

The ageless Yorkshireman, in an amusing and self deprecating speech - "No, I am not Derek Chatterton's brother, he was a bit quicker than me" - described his introduction to the racing 'drug' when his father took him to speedway, his early years accompanying Peter Middleton, his first races on a dope-fuelled Tiger Cub and his first race on the TT course in the 1964 Manx Grand Prix.

"I raced there every year up until a few years ago when they banned racing bikes. The factories dictated that production-based bikes were the thing and that was the end for people on 125s and 250s, proper racers," said Mick."I had already given up the likes of Cadwell and Brands Hatch and from then on did all my racing on proper tracks in Ireland."

Acknowledging that Roy Hanks, as a sidecar rider, had competed in more TTs than him, Mick also thanked all contributors to the TTRA and spoke of its work in supporting riders in need. He made special mention of the work of Frances Thorpe, wife of Tom who passed away during the year; John Kidson and the many volunteers.

Footnote: The machine ridden into the auditorium by the President was an interesting hybrid owned by Phil Morris of Oswestry. A TZ Yamaha, it is powered by a V-four 250cc Yamaha engine. A four-stroke import, it never appeared in the UK.

26-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
RE: Mick Chatterton installed as TT Riders Association President
Very pleasing to read that Mick has been installed in the prestigeous position as President of the TTRA.

I used to meet up with Mick on the ferry at Liverpool, with Steve Murray and Bill Smith......and this was an annual event for many years.

Mick and I got to be good friends..It culminated at the TT in 2011 when he and I were invited (separately of course) to go to meet the new Governor at the Governors residence. A very pleasant evening...

Mick is one of the true TT fans and everyone involved in the TTRA is privileged to have him as President.

See you in 2012 Mick !!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
26-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Website Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
RE: Mick Chatterton installed as TT Riders Association President
Well done Mick it couldnt go to a better person .
Roll on Kells 2010
29-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Find Reply