TT3D reaches 60,000 DVD sales in first week
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TT3D reaches 60,000 DVD sales in first week
[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]

[Image: closertotheedgebanner.jpg]

Manx film industry bosses are celebrating the phenomenal success of TT3D – Closer to the Edge.

The CinemaNX film was a hit at the box office, amassing £1.25m and becoming the eighth highest-grossing documentary of all time in the UK.

And in only the first week of its launch on DVD it has exceeded all forecasts – with 60,000 sales in the UK and stores reporting unprecedented demand for a documentary.

Current TT star Conor Cummins and former winner Richard ‘Milky’ Quayle met fans at the launch of TT3D on DVD at HMV in Douglas on Monday last week.

[Image: tt3dsigning.jpg]

CinemaNX chairman Steve Christian said his team was now working on the US release. ‘If we can crack America, the UK result will be a drop in the ocean,’ he said.

It’s a shot in the arm for the Manx movie industry following a year in which it has hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons – after CinemaNX funding became the focus of a series of questions in Tynwald

Mr Christian said: ‘The DVD release of TT3D: Closer to the Edge has exceeded all of our forecasts. Our first week sales in the UK looks like they will be in the region of 60,000 units – an extraordinary number for a documentary. First year sales forecasts are now being revised to be in the region of 200,000-plus units.

‘This strong retail performance means that TT3D will get that vital shelf space in stores across the UK at the busiest time of the year. Given that we are competing against the Hollywood giants that is an incredible accomplishment for an independent film.’

He said online sales had been just as successful.

‘At the moment we are ranked in the top three films on iTunes and TT3D is the number 1 featured film on iTunes since release on November 28.

‘TT3D is the only independent film in the iTunes top 10 and currently has the highest rating of any top 10 iTunes film, with 5 stars from over 90 per cent of the buyers.

‘TT3D has a very positive impact on the 2011 TT which was unexpected given that the film was only released in April.

‘The 2012 TT will be really elevated by the film. Already, bookings look to be up for 2012 and the feedback from the Motor Cycle Show at NEC this weekend was stunning.’

He added: ‘Looking further ahead, TT3D will also be a more general boost for the Isle of Man – in the UK alone somewhere in the region of two to three million people will end up watching the film, which let’s face it, is a 90-minute advert for all that is good about the island.

‘The UK release is going to boost the TT, the Isle of Man generally and our film industry. Hopefully, the latter will earn a little bit of respite from the ill-informed criticism and negative headlines of the past six months.’

The film tracks the fortunes of racers such as Guy Martin, Conor Cummins, Ian Hutchinson and John McGuinness at the 2010 race as they race at speeds of up to 200mph. The DVD also comes with never before screened extras and behind the scenes interviews with the leading racers.

05-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Website Find Reply
Big Gar Offline

Threads: 1
RE: TT3D reaches 60,000 DVD sales in first week
There are thousands of us patiently waiting here in America for the movie to be released in a format that our DVD / Blu Ray players can work with. I think it's inexcusable that it would not be released in both formats simultaneously. I hope they hurry this along as we're an impatient lot over here as you well know!! Now who has a few rooms for me this year? I'm heading over with at least three others and we will sleep in a doorway if necessary.

Gar
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2011, 06:47 PM by Big Gar.)
09-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Wink  RE: TT3D reaches 60,000 DVD sales in first week
Hi Big Gar..! Yes, I am with you.... waiting here patiently...!!

Cheers..!!

Ron - California..!!
11-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Where will the Americans stay when they come to the Island ???

Can't see them sleeping in little boxes or tents !!!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
12-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Website Find Reply
Big Gar Offline

Threads: 1
I've been known to sleep in bushes, on pub floors, sidewalks . . . Yes, a comfortable bed is preferred but I can do a week or so in a tent if necessary. My wife may not be so enthusiastic unless access to a warm shower would be in the offing :-)

Gar
12-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
God Bless ya Ian...!! Worrying about us Yanks... heh... Big Grin I can not properly state how wonderful the IOM's Home Stay plan is..! Getting to met new people each year.. and all of us have the races in common.. I have met people from all over the world...

FYI, in 2000 the Ferry was late... way late... we arrived just after daylight. And while my pals went on with their first IOM lap adventure, I went to sleep in the bushes near Laxey Wheel...

That was my first trip to the IOM... a very memorable trip... then no 2001 races... then in 2002, 2004, etc.. all very special trips with my pals... sigh... and now one of them recently passed away... Which is why I have TOLD even scolded people to not wait... save their pennies and get to the IOM NOW...!

Happy Holidays all.. and more importantly, I wish you all good health..!!!

Cheers..!!!

Ron

13-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
There is a good accomodation section on this site ----- but I RECOMMEND WHO EVER IS CONSIDERING COMING FOR TT 2012 Do not put off bookings any longer....

Take the plunge NOW -----get organised, book, and look forward to the best Annual event in the whole world !!

see http://www.ligan.co.uk/bukplaz.htm

I hope to meet some of you since 2012 will be a special year for me !!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 14-12-2011, 09:48 PM by ian huntly.)
14-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Website Find Reply