IOM TT Paddock
George Offline

Threads: 50
IOM TT Paddock
I have heard that Douglas corporation are going to ban the parking of Motor-homes and large commercial vehicles from residential areas within Douglas. The parking of these types of vehicles would have to be in a permanent Parking area. At first I thought this was just another Manx Tale until I spotted this.

https://www.gov.im/planningapplication/s...11/01741/C

How will the racers cope with the loss of parking space.
05-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
RE: IOM TT Paddock
(05-01-2012, 06:39 PM)George Wrote: I have heard that Douglas corporation are going to ban the parking of Motor-homes and large commercial vehicles from residential areas within Douglas. The parking of these types of vehicles would have to be in a permanent Parking area. At first I thought this was just another Manx Tale until I spotted this.

Will this affect the TT paddock ?
06-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

(06-01-2012, 06:26 PM)pat slinn Wrote:
(05-01-2012, 06:39 PM)George Wrote: I have heard that Douglas corporation are going to ban the parking of Motor-homes and large commercial vehicles from residential areas within Douglas. The parking of these types of vehicles would have to be in a permanent Parking area. At first I thought this was just another Manx Tale until I spotted this.

Will this affect the TT paddock ?

Who knows, but if the IOM Douglas Corporation lease out long term parking places to those people that have had to move their Motor homes from their own properties then it could end up with problems.
Looking at the planning application its the entire rear paddock (the hard standing area) that's having its use changed to parking for motor homes and commercials. Where would they put these vehicles during race periods especially if the spaces are leased out.

06-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Find Reply
Lee Offline

Threads: 11
I'm thinking it's only to stop boys like me back in our day packing the van with bikes beer and bodies, jumping on the ferry and camping on the Prom..

Any Council would try and discourage that and try and make a few bob from it these days.

The "motor homes" will have to hide down the road somewhere else.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2012, 07:23 AM by Lee.)
07-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Find Reply
George Offline

(07-01-2012, 07:18 AM)Lee Wrote: I'm thinking it's only to stop boys like me back in our day packing the van with bikes beer and bodies, jumping on the ferry and camping on the Prom..

Any Council would try and discourage that and try and make a few bob from it these days.

The "motor homes" will have to hide down the road somewhere else.

Its the motor homes and commercial vehicles owned by the Yocals, that the IOM want moved from private houses, not visitors

07-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
I must say that the willy-nilly parking on the prom did get out of hand (too many willys, not enough nillys) but it was part of the TT Fortnight when people did as our friend above said about packing a van and heading over...........I've done it myself and wouldn't have minded paying to park if I'd had to !

However there must be areas, even in Douglas, where the vans and motorhomes could be parked safely and securely. Trouble is, these days motorhomes are like houses and take up a lot of room. Are these huge motorhomes over the top ?? Can the IOMSP place a size restriction on the big ones ?

The racers must have priority - but other people (spectators) now bring over vehicles instead of Homestaying etc....Is that the group which must be re-assessed ?
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
09-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Website Find Reply
George Offline

(09-01-2012, 06:19 PM)ian huntly Wrote: I must say that the willy-nilly parking on the prom did get out of hand (too many willys, not enough nillys) but it was part of the TT Fortnight when people did as our friend above said about packing a van and heading over...........I've done it myself and wouldn't have minded paying to park if I'd had to !

However there must be areas, even in Douglas, where the vans and motorhomes could be parked safely and securely. Trouble is, these days motorhomes are like houses and take up a lot of room. Are these huge motorhomes over the top ?? Can the IOMSP place a size restriction on the big ones ?

The racers must have priority - but other people (spectators) now bring over vehicles instead of Homestaying etc....Is that the group which must be re-assessed ?

This has nothing to do with visitors and motor homes, its to do with the yocals parking outside their homes, The IOM Gov are tryinf to ban the practice

09-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Find Reply
an old man returns Offline

Threads: 22
Presume this would also mean a problem for competitors coming over to the PreTT/Southern and leaving motorhomes etc on the island until the TT/MGP (saves a ferry crossing charge)
I was there many times a few years ago, returned in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. SUPPORT THE MGP
10-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
(09-01-2012, 08:57 PM)George Wrote: This has nothing to do with visitors and motor homes, its to do with the yocals parking outside their homes, The IOM Gov are trying to ban the practice

The problem for racers then, is that if the TT Paddock is used up as a campervan parking area for the locals there will be a lot less space that can be allocated to the race paddock at TT/MGP time. I wonder what they intend to do given that the paddock already stretches well down the field into the swamp.

(10-01-2012, 08:47 AM)an old man returns Wrote: Presume this would also mean a problem for competitors coming over to the PreTT/Southern and leaving motorhomes etc on the island until the TT/MGP (saves a ferry crossing charge)

If they were parked on private land eg somebody's farm then no. However if they found a bit of road and plonked it there for 10 months of the year then yes, and rightly so. But I don't think this is aimed so much at them as at the locals. With caravans banned on the IoM many people have campervans instead, and I'm guessing that is leading to parking problems in the burbs and a blot on the designed prettiness of the Island.
13-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Plan to change rules for motor homes at Noble’s Park

Douglas Council is continuing to look at allowing motorhomes to use a designated area within the campsite at Noble’s Park outside of motorsport periods.

At the latest council meeting on Wednesday, council leader David Christian said he ‘firmly supported’ the proposal. The council’s leisure services committee believes it would encourage people into the park and be a benefit for Douglas.

Differences in the proposed rules at Noble’s Park and Mooragh Park, in Ramsey, include that awning and wind breakers would be allowed in Douglas.

Leisure ervices committee chairman Stephen Pitts said the committee was due to give further consideration to the rules and regulations relating to the use of the campsite for motorhomes next week.

[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]

09-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Website Find Reply