Manx Grand Prix in need of better marketing, say organisers
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Manx Grand Prix in need of better marketing, say organisers
[Image: mgpfestivalgeneral.gif]

The Manx Grand Prix needs better marketing to improve its profile – that's the message from the organisers.

After an economic survey of the Manx Grand Prix revealed it gave a £5.9m boost to the Manx economy but made an overall loss to the government, organisers are facing the challenge of attracting more visitors to boost income from the event.

The event made an approximate loss of £369,000 for the government last year and a spokesman for the government’s Department of Economic Development said the £5.9m brought into the economy was still not a good enough return.

The department's chief executive Colin Kniveton said total subsidy for the event – taking into account costs incurred in all government departments – was approximately £1.1m but in return for that they would hope to generate nearer £10m in the Manx economy.

Manx Motorcycle Club chairman Harvey Garton said they were very happy to work with the department but added it was also very important to make the right decisions so the event was not diminished. "I don't think at this stage we should jump the gun and destroy the event by starting again," he warned.

"The balance (of different racing classes) is about right.

"There has been some pressure about having more classics but we already have a classic race for each class as well as the post classics.

"Unfortunately we have a situation where entries in the classic classes are in decline possibly because of the cost of running a machine on the Mountain Course. The other factor could be the age of the competitors who are not being replaced by younger blood coming in."

He added: "The main thing really is more advertising: we have to increase the profile – get the message out to the UK and Europe and to all those who don’t know about it."

In recent years the Hailwood Foundation and a team of Manx Grand Prix ambassadors have organised regular trips to the island for prospective newcomers to tour the circuit, speak to competitors and find out more about taking part.

"We have a fantastic success rate for getting over the newcomers lately so that is the life blood for the future," Mr Garton added.

David Taylor, who is both a regular Manx Grand Prix competitor and an ambassador for the event, said he thought there was no single 'magic bullet' that would solve the problem.

But he said a clear line between the classic and modern races would be popular with both competitors and spectators.

"Run the classic races (and this includes the Post Classic race) in the first half of the week and the modern bikes in the second half of the week," he suggested.

"The type of spectator that derives enjoyment from watching Manx Nortons, AJS 7Rs, Ducati 350 singles, is likely to be bored by the spectacle of modern machinery hurtling by (and vice-versa).

"There may be a nominal argument for having a mixture of old and new every day to keep spectators on the island for all of race week, I am unconvinced.

"Inevitably the congestion this results in at the end of the fortnight results in people being put off coming to the island,"
he said.

[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]
By John Turner

15-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Website Find Reply
an old man returns Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Manx Grand Prix in need of better marketing, say organisers
At last the wealth of opinion has been heard.............onwards
I was there many times a few years ago, returned in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. SUPPORT THE MGP
15-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
Many people confuse marketing with selling. Selling is one part of the mix but marketing is a much wider prspective of how something is presented to its prospective customers. Marketers often use a rule of thumb known as the "4 P's" to define their marketing mix:

Product - essentially what you are selling, the core benefit, so here that is the racing experience and the sideshow events that accompany it.

Price - what does it cost to get to the Island, accommodation, entry fees to sideshows (if applicable)

Place - where can you go to find it (not too much scope for variation here perhaps!)

Promotion - how is it sold or advertised

Each of these factors will have an effect on the demand for your product. A poor product or high price will limit demand however much you spend on selling it. The club has made some good moves in redefining the product and adding sideshows, all credit to them for that, but (in my opinion anyway) the cost is still very high, especially in these straitened economic times.
28-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Website Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
If the boat was £25 the island would be full, i have been going to iom for over 35 years as a spectator and competitor and when i talk to people about the manx generally they are interested ontill you talk about the boats then they lose interest. just this morning i was talking with a potential newcomer who said he could not justify the cost.
28-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Find Reply
FCM Offline

Threads: 17
At this weekends newcomers trip to the IOM for the MGP over 26 riders turned up, including the 5 we brought over from Germany to join our Dutch riders at this years MGP. This was the first of the 2 planned trips this year and it was a great success.

What disappoints me is that on today's Manx Radio news they reported the story of 6 sidecar newcomers visiting the IOM last weekend, no mention of the 26 MGP newcomers who are the future of the TT. These MGP riders pay their own trips to the Island not like the newcomers to the TT who's trips are paid for.
I am also a bit confused why the Tourist Department here have a Motor sports and Promotions team, who only seem to promote the TT and not the S100 or TT. Can someone please clarify what this department really do with my taxes.
28-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Find Reply

(15-02-2012, 12:45 PM)Malcolm Wrote: David Taylor, who is both a regular Manx Grand Prix competitor and an ambassador for the event, said he thought there was no single 'magic bullet' that would solve the problem.

But he said a clear line between the classic and modern races would be popular with both competitors and spectators.

"Run the classic races (and this includes the Post Classic race) in the first half of the week and the modern bikes in the second half of the week," he suggested.

"The type of spectator that derives enjoyment from watching Manx Nortons, AJS 7Rs, Ducati 350 singles, is likely to be bored by the spectacle of modern machinery hurtling by (and vice-versa).

"There may be a nominal argument for having a mixture of old and new every day to keep spectators on the island for all of race week, I am unconvinced.

"Inevitably the congestion this results in at the end of the fortnight results in people being put off coming to the island,"
he said.

By John Turner

Sorry David I totally disagree with your statement.......I feel that your opinion is your own and NOT shared by the masses.

A modern and classic race on each day is the defining way to go and the organisers must leave the race format alone.

There is plenty of speculation on the 'other' site relating to the future of the Manx Grand Prix, most of it misses the point but there are a fair few salient points. In particular...entry fees, the lack of the publics awareness of the MGP event, event promotion (even Manx Radio is guilty of this if you read the posting before this one) and IOMSPC cost. It’s good to read the press release from the MMCC I can only hope the DED decides to back the event.

Whilst I appreciate the 'loss' detailed in the DED figures, may be correct, it is difficult to dwell on a calculated figure and take the reward to the IOM out of context. It must be remembered that economic cash flow is an impossible figure to calculate. The IOM benefits from economic cash flow generated by the MGP in ways that cannot be calculated for instance services and jobs available/utilised by the MGP spend put money into the economy and thus stays in the economy....if the 'motorsport' cash flow is reduced what are the DED going to replace it with. Economic cash flow is the life’s blood of any community, without it pressure is brought onto the benefits system. Less services/jobs, less tax-less tax less money available for benefits.

The MGP needs to be promoted (sold) better. To continue to put the loss of revenue on the competitor is a flawed business plan, it’s obvious that increasing the entry fee will result in a reduced competitor entry, a reduced competitor entry, as seems to be happening, leads to a lower economic cash flow.
To dwell on a single issue, say insurance and the possible fact that the MGP entry fee doesn’t cover the cost is also flawed; the event is a golden opportunity to generate funds.
I hope progress is made.
Spread the word 'SUPPORT THE MAN GRAND PRIX'
I was there many times a few years ago, returned in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. SUPPORT THE MGP
(This post was last modified: 28-02-2012, 06:55 PM by an old man returns.)
28-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Find Reply
FCM Offline

Threads: 17
(28-02-2012, 06:31 PM)an old man returns Wrote:
(15-02-2012, 12:45 PM)Malcolm Wrote: David Taylor, who is both a regular Manx Grand Prix competitor and an ambassador for the event, said he thought there was no single 'magic bullet' that would solve the problem.

he said.

By John Turner

Sorry David I totally disagree with your statement.......I feel that your opinion is your own and NOT shared by the masses.

A modern and classic race on each day is the defining way to go and the organisers must leave the race format alone.

There is plenty of speculation on the 'other' site relating to the future of the Manx Grand Prix, most of it misses the point but there are a fair few salient points. In particular...entry fees, the lack of the publics awareness of the MGP event, event promotion and IOMSPC cost. It’s good to read the press release from the MMCC I can only hope the DED decides to back the event.

Whilst I appreciate the 'loss' detailed in the DED figures, may be correct, it is difficult to dwell on a calculated figure and take the reward to the IOM out of context. It must be remembered that economic cash flow is an impossible figure to calculate. The IOM benefits from economic cash flow generated by the MGP in ways that cannot be calculated for instance services and jobs available/utilised by the MGP spend put money into the economy and thus stays in the economy....if the 'motorsport' cash flow is reduced what are the DED going to replace it with. Economic cash flow is the life’s blood of any community, without it pressure is brought onto the benefits system. Less services/jobs, less tax-less tax less money available for benefits.

The MGP needs to be promoted (sold) better. To continue to put the loss of revenue on the competitor is a flawed business plan, it’s obvious that increasing the entry fee will result in a reduced competitor entry, a reduced competitor entry, as seems to be happening, leads to a lower economic cash flow.
To dwell on a single issue, say insurance and the possible fact that the MGP entry fee doesn’t cover the cost is also flawed; the event is a golden opportunity to generate funds.
I hope progress is made.
Spread the word 'SUPPORT THE MAN GRAND PRIX'

At a major Bike show held in Holland last week attended by 10,000s not many when asked about the MGP knew the event existed. FACT.

A problem the MGP does face is the lack of interest by the classic lads now, they are getting older and not being replaced by younger riders, this will result in a decline of the event unless something else can be found to replace the classic races

28-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Find Reply

Another lost opportunity.......Holland bike show.

There are plenty of 'classic' competitors who do not attend the MGP due to the cost and not their age.
(This post was last modified: 28-02-2012, 07:00 PM by an old man returns.)
28-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
A great thread..!! And we all have opinions... Now, I suspect that there are people that are only interested in the Classics, and there are some that love it all... changing the schedule won't affect those that love it all..(like me and I bet most of you..!)... But will that change bring more or less revenue to the Island..? I am not sure...

OK, yes there are many many race enthusiasts that do not know much about the IOM, the TT, the MGP and all the other awesome racing events..! The word needs to be spread..!!!

As far as racers for the Classics... well, I think the rules really help.. having some of the TT Stars race in the MGP is a draw in of itself..! And as the current racers go.. well true, some do not want to compete with the TT Stars, while others think of it as bragging rights.! And because the Classic bikes well... do not always finish... there is a chance of a good finish and actually "beating" a TT Star.. well those are stories to tell the Grandkids about..!

Cheers..!!!

Ron - Long live the TT and MGP..!!!
(This post was last modified: 28-02-2012, 07:47 PM by Gstarron.)
28-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
(28-02-2012, 06:31 PM)FCM Wrote: At this weekends newcomers trip to the IOM for the MGP over 26 riders turned up, including the 5 we brought over from Germany to join our Dutch riders at this years MGP. This was the first of the 2 planned trips this year and it was a great success.

What disappoints me is that on today's Manx Radio news they reported the story of 6 sidecar newcomers visiting the IOM last weekend, no mention of the 26 MGP newcomers who are the future of the TT. These MGP riders pay their own trips to the Island not like the newcomers to the TT who's trips are paid for.
I am also a bit confused why the Tourist Department here have a Motor sports and Promotions team, who only seem to promote the TT and not the S100 or TT. Can someone please clarify what this department really do with my taxes.
Got to agree with FCM, it would be nice to have some news/interviews on Manx Radio about the MGP Newcomers, I assume the Newcomers would be pleased to be interviewed.
When ever I have spoken to potential Newcomers from France/Italy, they all want to race in the TT, and when you suggest entering the MGP, they all say what is that, where is it held? Once you explain where, and what it is, most of them come and enter the MGP.
28-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
(28-02-2012, 11:53 PM)chris Wrote:
(28-02-2012, 06:31 PM)FCM Wrote: At this weekends newcomers trip to the IOM for the MGP over 26 riders turned up, including the 5 we brought over from Germany to join our Dutch riders at this years MGP. This was the first of the 2 planned trips this year and it was a great success.

Got to agree with FCM, it would be nice to have some news/interviews on Manx Radio about the MGP Newcomers, I assume the Newcomers would be pleased to be interviewed.
When ever I have spoken to potential Newcomers from France/Italy, they all want to race in the TT, and when you suggest entering the MGP, they all say what is that, where is it held? Once you explain where, and what it is, most of them come and enter the MGP.
Pleased to report that Manx Radio did have some interviews with some MGP Newcomers along with MGP Winner Dave Moffitt today on Saturday Sport.
03-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
If you go to any mainland classic meeting you will find it overflowing with entries and young riders enjoying themselves alongside the greybeards. Post classic has done a lot to bring the younger riders into the sport as they can relate better to the machines than the Manx Nortons etc their dads used to ride, and in many cases the machines are a lot cheaper to buy and run than "collectors pieces and exotica" that seem to dominate the results in the premier classes.

Remember too that the people who are riding are not teenagers who are short of money, these are mature adults with some earning power who can afford to race (or sponsor the youngsters!). The upshot is if you want to attract the spectators you need not only to spread the word but also to ensure the spectacle will be worth coming for. Full grids of bikes they can relate to in particular. Which means the cost of coming must be seen as worthwhile. Start with the riders since without them there is no show to sell. Reduce the entry fees and subsidise the ferry, the two major areas of cost. If they don't invest in the riders but just continue to milk them as part of the income stream they shouldn't be surprised when the riders decide they've had enough risking their skins and paying for somebody else to make money out of them.
28-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Going back to the original tone of the thread about needing better marketing, let me give an example: In the first issue of the new BSN there was an ad for the Manx which took up approx 1/3 of a page. Read on a few pages and you'll find a FULL PAGE advert by the Auto 66 club for their April schedule.

While it was good to see the MGP actually being advertised and the ad itself seemed to be a good one, why on earth could whoever was responsible for placing it not have specified a full page? I know that would make it more costly but are the Auto 66 club that much better off than the IOM financially???

Penny pinch with the advertising and don't be surprised if you don't get the results you were hoping for...

As far as attracting new riders is concerned (and I know I'm repeating myself) the organisers need to get some representation into the paddocks at CRMC and BHR meetings and meet the riders, make them feel wanted and try and create some interest. I was at the first BHR meeting at Mallory a couple of weeks ago and another photographer I know was at the first CRMC do at Pembrey the week before - not a sniff of the MGP to be seen anywhere.
28-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Ah.. overall today was an awesome day.... back at the races here in the states (put a new unknown rider on my bike.. and got a win too..!)..

OK, so after the races, the "Chat Session" starts... and I handed out about 20 MGP flyers... amazing how many of the guys have the IOM on their "Bucket List" but had no idea of how, etc... Of course some of these guys are all talk, but several were all ears and wide eyed... I suggested to several that they use their Holiday time to first see the action and learn more about how it all works... then work on getting prepared to do an entry the following year... we will see...!

BUT the main point was that here I am among a few hundred racers... and many have no real knowledge about the Manx Grand Prix... and that it is possible to race it...!

I will be handing out more flyers tomorrow...

Cheers..!!

Ron Big Grin
29-04-2012, 04:47 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Ron, can I suggest you address those comments to the likes of John Shimmin and his minions at the Dept of Economic development before they completely ruin the Manx...

http://www.gov.im/government/departments/trade.xml

I believe John Shimmin, Geoff Corkish and Colin Kniveton are the sort of people that need to hear stuff like this. To me it all points to them not having to fix something that ain't broke and just, for crying out loud, publicise it properly!
29-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Website Find Reply