PAINT THE KERBS!
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
PAINT THE KERBS!
An important aspect of safety on the course has become increasingly neglected in recent years. The painting of kerbs seems to have almost vanished from the list of priorities of the otherwise very safety conscious organisers. Faintly marked kerbs on very fast or tricky sections of the course are almost impossible for the rider to detect, particularly in fading evening light or when dappled leaf shadows camouflage them. It is a simple solution and will prevent calamities. Put the pressure on now and make sure that they PAINT THE KERBS.

[Image: 1.1307554856.15.jpg]
07-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
RE: PAINT THE KERBS!
Totally agree! A vital safety measure in all conditions, but especially when there is strong sunlight.
08-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

(08-03-2012, 12:01 AM)NickJ Wrote: Totally agree! A vital safety measure in all conditions, but especially when there is strong sunlight.
Have a look at state of the kerb nearest to camera here, for example.  The camouflaging effect of the dappled sun can also be seen clearly.  150mph+++!

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

08-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Find Reply
FCM Offline

Threads: 17
They are done every year by the DOT, normally starting about now
08-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

(08-03-2012, 02:16 PM)FCM Wrote: They are done every year by the DOT, normally starting about now

That is the popular perception but only some kerbs are painted every year and the number appears to be reducing annually. We complained very strongly last year that, at the very least, the kerb on the inside of Gorse Lea bend should be painted. The DOI came out and painted the kerb at Knock Breck. Confused

Do you honestly believe that, in this photo of Guy in 2011, that the kerb had been freshly painted within the previous few weeks?

[Image: Guy-Martin-2011-Isle-of-Man-TT-SuperStock-Race-2.jpg]

Or here at Gorse Lea?

[Image: Hunchy-blasts-through-Gorse-Lea.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2012, 03:24 PM by John Foster.)
08-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Find Reply
FCM Offline

No they don't look freshly painted, they could always put it out to tender. Or is this work part of the health and safety track preparation tender that's just been awarded to Marlow Construction
08-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

(08-03-2012, 06:15 PM)FCM Wrote: No they don't look freshly painted, they could always put it out to tender. Or is this work part of the health and safety track preparation tender that's just been awarded to Marlow Construction

I doubt if that is in the remit, but I certainly hope so.

08-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
John - could I suggest that the Gorse Lea Crew take a couple of pots of paint and a few brushes on site for first practice?

If there's anywhere that needs done, it's there.

From memory (last time was 1986) there was no paint at all - mind you, I was going through there so slowly, it didn't matter Icon_lol

P'raps FCM would sponsor this ?? Icon_lolIcon_lol
08-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Find Reply
FCM Offline

(08-03-2012, 10:01 PM)larryd Wrote: John - could I suggest that the Gorse Lea Crew take a couple of pots of paint and a few brushes on site for first practice?

From memory (last time was 1986) there was no paint at all - mind you, I was going through there so slowly, it didn't matter Icon_lol

Larry I would not have a problem of doing a section in time for the MGP. BUT the Heath and Safety and all the paperwork that's involved would put any man off

Risk assessments, H&S File, Facilities for the men doing the works, Notifications, signage and more.

The painting is only a low cost, its all the add ons that make it the big problem.

Example we have to paint a few doors for a Gov department, A independent H&S inspector has to be employed to prepare a H&S file, A First aider and a Fire coordinator also have to employed, The H&S inspector has to make daily visits. Toilets also have to be provided even when there is a public loo just across the road. The lads also have to have a brew hut. This is all law to comply with H&S.

Been doing the job over 30 years without any problems, its now just a case of creating jobs for the suits. This is one of the reasons why Government cant afford to pay the tradesmen to do a job because the men in suits come first.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2012, 06:10 PM by FCM.)
09-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Find Reply
an old man returns Offline

Threads: 22
I could do with income and have a suit where do I sign Blush
I was there many times a few years ago, returned in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. SUPPORT THE MGP
09-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Guarantees sought after new company wins contract for TT course

Guarantees were sought in the House of Keys after the TT course contract was awarded to a new company for the first time in 35 years.

Economic Development Minister John Shimmin confirmed that following a competitive tendering exercise, the contract had been awarded to island-based Marlow Construction.

He explained the contract was awarded following an evaluation by his Department and Treasury, taking into account ‘value for money and the quality of the tender submissions’.

Mr Shimmin said: ‘The course contractor performs a critical role in the physical preparations for both the TT and MGP races and it was important to select a company that could demonstrate ability to devote appropriate resources to the work and deliver the course requirements within the specified timescale.’

But Howard Quayle (Middle) questioned how much the process has saved the taxpayer and whether the company awarded the contract had the ‘necessary experience required for running such an important role as the TT and Manx Grand Prix’.

‘Is he confident that preparations for TT and Grand Prix 2012 are on schedule and there will be no disruption or reduction in service levels as a result of this new contract being awarded?’

The Minister replied that in common with most other contracts, this contract contains a clause preventing disclosure of details, unless both parties gave permission for that information to be divulged - and it had not been possible to get Mr Marlow’s permission as he was off-island.

But he insisted: ‘This was never an exercise to save money.’

He explained that the new contract evolved because Kissack Bros Ltd who he said had been doing an ‘outstanding job’ for the past 35 years, had not actually had a formal contract. When it was put out to tender Kissack Bros chose not submit a tender.

Mr Shimmin admitted: ‘It is unlikely there will be any saving. Indeed, it may well be initially more expensive to the taxpayer whilst the new company gears up for the same work as has been done in the past.’

He added: ‘Certainly they will not have experience in this area. However, my department have been satisfied they do have the experience to take responsibility for the necessary work.’

10-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Off what lunatic production line does the House of Keys select these idiot Ministers ?

Icon_confused
10-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
(10-03-2012, 12:33 PM)larryd Wrote: Off what lunatic production line does the House of Keys select these idiot Ministers ?

Icon_confused

possible rejections from westminster????????
10-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

(10-03-2012, 01:37 PM)cregnybaa Wrote:
(10-03-2012, 12:33 PM)larryd Wrote: Off what lunatic production line does the House of Keys select these idiot Ministers ?

Icon_confused

possible rejections from westminster????????

Probable is the word, I think!!
10-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

"Lets save a tin of paint or two, boys. Just leave that one half finished."

[Image: motoczysz-on-iomtt-course.jpg]
10-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(09-03-2012, 05:54 PM)FCM Wrote:
(08-03-2012, 10:01 PM)larryd Wrote: John - could I suggest that the Gorse Lea Crew take a couple of pots of paint and a few brushes on site for first practice?

Larry I would not have a problem of doing a section in time for the MGP. BUT the Heath and Safety and all the paperwork that's involved would put any man off

Risk assessments, H&S File, Facilities for the men doing the works, Notifications, signage and more.

The painting is only a low cost, its all the add ons that make it the big problem.

Example we have to paint a few doors for a Gov department, A independent H&S inspector has to be employed to prepare a H&S file, A First aider and a Fire coordinator also have to employed, The H&S inspector has to make daily visits. Toilets also have to be provided even when there is a public loo just across the road. The lads also have to have a brew hut. This is all law to comply with H&S.

Been doing the job over 30 years without any problems, its now just a case of creating jobs for the suits. This is one of the reasons why Government cant afford to pay the tradesmen to do a job because the men in suits come first.

All this reminds me of the time about 15 years ago when Race Mission was approached by the racing fraternity to run a creche and childrens play area in Nobles park. The authorities by way of regulation blocked it. I can remember one of the reasons they used was, "that is what the Hailwood centre is for ", my reply was that on race days sometimes it was impossible to see from one side of the room to the other because of cigaret smoke.!! Anyway,...during race days the Race Mission tent was usually full of baby's and children whilst mom went and watched dad race. i only hope that regulation and H & S does not finish the TT off.
12-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

(08-03-2012, 12:29 AM)John Foster Wrote:
(08-03-2012, 12:01 AM)NickJ Wrote: Totally agree! A vital safety measure in all conditions, but especially when there is strong sunlight.
Have a look at state of the kerb nearest to camera here, for example.  The camouflaging effect of the dappled sun can also be seen clearly.  150mph+++!

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Compare the condition of the kerbs in the photo above with the gleaming paintwork seen in this one taken looking back to the same stretch in 2008.

[Image: DSC_7126.jpg?t=1331911602]
16-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Please report any sightings and exact location of any new kerb painting on here.
21-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Marshals pictured during a recent Kerb-Painting Training Course.

[Image: 529544_418497108164628_100000130279054_8...0940_n.jpg]

The Kerb Inspector takes a close look at the paintwork.

[Image: tt_jpg_400x400_q85.png]

(This post was last modified: 28-03-2012, 08:32 AM by John Foster.)
27-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Important Announcement from the Organisers

In response to the serious concerns expressed on http://www.iomtt.com and on other forums, we have this morning agreed a major sponsorship deal with Massey Ferguson UK & Ireland. We have accepted the offer by Massey Ferguson to decorate all the kerbs on the TT Course, in advance of TT2012, using the classic Ferguson engineering black and white livery.

It is anticipated that this will eliminate any further confusion.

[Image: 10123OldGreyFergie.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM by John Foster.)
01-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Find Reply