MGP TO BE Shorter ???
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: MGP TO BE Shorter ???
KPMG welcomes MGP changes

KPMG Isle of Man’s managing director has given his backing to a shorter Manx Grand Prix.

David McGarry says shortening the MGP will mean more business for the Island with more people taking short breaks to see the racing.

In a statement, he also says the £350,000 a year needed to fund the event can’t be met from public funds any more – and fewer road closures will also be welcome.

Mr McGarry says everyone should engage with the Department of Economic Development to finalise the revised arrangements.

02-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Shortened Grand Prix is in best interests of Island

Comment by David McGarry, Managing Director, KPMG Isle of Man

The news that the DED is considering a revised programme for next year’s Manx Grand Prix may be met with some concerns and criticism from racing fans. I believe, however, that it is important that the view and concerns of all stakeholders should be taken into consideration, including the “silent majority” who I believe will be broadly in favour of the move. They may be a little less vocal than the diehard fans, but it is important to the future of the MGP that all views are taken into account.

Whilst racing is certainly a cornerstone of the Island’s culture, it is a fact that the Manx Grand Prix has been much less successful than the TT races in recent years, with steadily reducing visitor numbers. It is also worth noting that DED research indicates that increasingly MGP fans do not come to the Island for the whole of the fortnight, but instead make “short break” visits. The new programme is designed to meet the needs of the “short break” market, by ensuring that the MGP programme covers two weekends, with a full programme of activity. The refocus of events towards Classic bikes will also be well received by MGP fans.

All of us, as taxpayers, should be concerned by the fact it is costing the Government around £350,000 per annum. If, as the DED’s research suggests, that investment cannot be justified on an ongoing basis then we should surely welcome changes which help to reduce that burden, particularly in these economically challenging times. From the Isle of Man resident’s perspective, reduced road closures will also be very welcome.

As I said, not everyone will be happy with the proposal. However, I believe it delivers a fair balance between all of the stakeholders, including Isle of Man residents, businesses based in the Isle of Man and most importantly race fans.

I would encourage everyone to engage with the DED constructively as arrangements for the revised format are finalised.

02-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Website Find Reply
FCM Offline

Threads: 17
(02-05-2012, 04:53 PM)Malcolm Wrote:
Shortened Grand Prix is in best interests of Island

Comment by David McGarry, Managing Director, KPMG Isle of Man

The news that the DED is considering a revised programme for next year’s Manx Grand Prix may be met with some concerns and criticism from racing fans. I believe, however, that it is important that the view and concerns of all stakeholders should be taken into consideration, including the “silent majority” who I believe will be broadly in favour of the move. They may be a little less vocal than the diehard fans, but it is important to the future of the MGP that all views are taken into account.

Whilst racing is certainly a cornerstone of the Island’s culture, it is a fact that the Manx Grand Prix has been much less successful than the TT races in recent years, with steadily reducing visitor numbers. It is also worth noting that DED research indicates that increasingly MGP fans do not come to the Island for the whole of the fortnight, but instead make “short break” visits. The new programme is designed to meet the needs of the “short break” market, by ensuring that the MGP programme covers two weekends, with a full programme of activity. The refocus of events towards Classic bikes will also be well received by MGP fans.

All of us, as taxpayers, should be concerned by the fact it is costing the Government around £350,000 per annum. If, as the DED’s research suggests, that investment cannot be justified on an ongoing basis then we should surely welcome changes which help to reduce that burden, particularly in these economically challenging times. From the Isle of Man resident’s perspective, reduced road closures will also be very welcome.

As I said, not everyone will be happy with the proposal. However, I believe it delivers a fair balance between all of the stakeholders, including Isle of Man residents, businesses based in the Isle of Man and most importantly race fans.

I would encourage everyone to engage with the DED constructively as arrangements for the revised format are finalised.

Mr McGarry no wonder the worlds finance industry is in such a mess, when we have idiots in charge of it.

You say that the MGP has to change to make its future better and that the taxpayer should not be putting £350000 into an event that creates a lot of work for locals. Firstly the £350000 is not paid out by the taxpayers , how could it when the MGPs sister event the TT makes over £6million profit to the Government, The Government doesn't say the event MGP made a loss only says not enough profit.

The very same Government that told us humble hard working bikers years ago to protect our futures and invest in pensions, we did we went without new engines and good tyres to pay for it, which we all know now went tits up.

Are the Government going to bail us taxpayers out like they did the very same finance companies that lost our savings and futures NO.

Now lets get the sums right.

The TT makes a profit of over £ 6 million per year plus all the jobs it creates and the Hotels and cafes it keeps open, good business.

Now they say they put £350000 into the MGP, which as reported does not make a loss but breaks even. Any good businessman would invest some of the profit from his good venture to keep alive a venture that breeds new talent and many jobs etc.

At least our taxpayers here are getting some benefit out of the Islands bike racing, Pity it cant be said for all the taxpayers money that was spent in bailing out you bankers and keeps your futures safe.

Wake up and smell the coffee. If the Department of Tourism was to get rid of some of the deadwood it employs, the savings made would cover any costs made to the MGP. True !!

The £350000 the Government is trying to save by not promoting the friendly races, will soon be overshadowed in the costs in job losses to the Island when their proposals go tits up

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2012, 09:22 PM by FCM.)
02-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Minister asked to pledge support to MGP

The Economic Development Minister is being asked to declare his support for the Manx Grand Prix.

North Douglas MHK John Houghton is asking John Shimmin to announce his Department's support for the event.

Earlier this week, the DED said it wants to cut the MGP from a 2 week to 10 day festival, with all racing being held over a four day period.

It hopes the proposed changes will make it the premier series of classic motorbike races in the world.

Mr Shimmin will answer the question in next week's sitting of the House of Keys.

Now that should be an interesting session !!!

[Image: energyfmlogo.gif]

03-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
John McBride, chairman of the Manx Grand Prix Riders Association, has initiated this e-petition. If you are in agreement, please sign.
For locals. The Manx branch of the Triumph Owners Club welcome all to the Great Ramsey Bike Show at the Mooragh Park on Monday, starting at 11 am. We hope to have the Manx Grand petition forms there. I realise not everyone is a Facebook fan, but it assists to get the word out.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s...re_comment
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
03-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Website Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Threads: 4
Like many more enthusiasts and competitors i too am choked with the proposed changes to the manx. It may well have needed a few changes to swell further interest, but i would have chosen the route of advertising the event before making the sweeping changes proposed. The tt is now for the big money .business ,big spending,glitz and glamour. TV and all that stuff. The manx is,was,for the true enthusiastic amatuer rider paying their own way and most on a tight budget but loving every minute of the whole event along with the true followers of road racing. I too feel now that there is an agenda allready sorted to seal the fate of the manx. The same happened 12 years ago to grand prix motocross,take a look at the crowds if .you have eurosport,it,s allbut done for,run by the people who KNEW IT ALL and would,nt listen to the fans. ..What is needed is the truth from the .DED so we can plan our future commitments.
03-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Find Reply
FCM Offline

(02-05-2012, 04:02 PM)Malcolm Wrote:
KPMG welcomes MGP changes

KPMG Isle of Man’s managing director has given his backing to a shorter Manx Grand Prix.

David McGarry says shortening the MGP will mean more business for the Island with more people taking short breaks to see the racing.

In a statement, he also says the £350,000 a year needed to fund the event can’t be met from public funds any more – and fewer road closures will also be welcome.

Mr McGarry says everyone should engage with the Department of Economic Development to finalise the revised arrangements.

More Truth coming out

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=59408

And no mention about the Islands Hospital being asked how much they would save if the MGP was scrapped

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 02:43 PM by FCM.)
04-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Find Reply
FCM Offline

05-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Find Reply