MGP supporters to stage Tynwald protest
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
MGP supporters to stage Tynwald protest
[Image: mgpfestivalgeneral.gif]

Supporters of the Manx Grand Prix are expected to gather outside the House of Keys this morning (Tuesday) to voice their concerns over changes to the event.

The Government has recently announced a number of changes to the racing schedule including shortening the event and putting more of a focus on vintage and classic bikes.

Middle MHK Howard Quayle will ask the Economic Development Minister John Shimmin why his department ignored proposals put forward by the Manx Motorcycle Club on a strategy to help develop and improve the Manx Grand Prix.

[Image: 3fmlogo.jpg]
15-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: MGP supporters to stage Tynwald protest
A protest has been taking place this morning outside Tynwald.

Dozens of Manx Grand Prix supporters were out in force voicing their opposition to planned changes by the Government.

The changes include limiting the entries for newcomers, shortening the event to less than 2 weeks, and the modern bike racing cut down to a half, with a new focus on the classic machines.

Protesters are adamant that the proposed changes could have negative impacts on particularly the Manx riders, and the future of the event itself.

The group campaigning were made up of a number of riders past and present, marshals and enthusiasts alike, we spoke to them moments before they packed out the public gallery.

[Image: saveourmanxdemo.jpg]

15-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

MGP protest takes place outside Tynwald

Up to sixty people attended a protest against proposed changes to the Manx Grand Prix this morning.

Gathering outside the Legislative Buildings in Douglas, ahead of today's Tynwald sitting, many protestors were wearing marshals' bibs and some were in full motorcycle leathers.

Earlier this month the Department of Economic Development unveiled plans for possible changes to make the 90-year-old event more financially viable.

Ali Foster was one of the protestors - she says there is room for an alternative plan:

[Image: manxradiomain.gif]

Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
15-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

MGP protesters lobby MHKs ahead of Tynwald sitting

Rider past present and would-be future, along with marshals, members of the Manx Motorcycle Club, and general well-wishers turned out in force this morning (Tuesday) to lobby arriving MHKs about government proposals for the future of the Manx Grand Prix.

Among those giving support were last year’s Supertwin race winner Dave Moffitt as well as former riders Dave Sells, Monica Floding, Bill Snelling and Carolynn Sells - the event’s only female winner.

Ali Foster who called people together for the protest said it was not being done to oppose change as such but to publicise the fact that the views of the Manx Motorcycle club - organisers of the event for almost 90 years - seemed to have been marginalised.

‘The MGP is important to our economy, our pepople, the hospitality industry and to our sport as a whole. It is an integral part of our history, heritage and identity. Its survival isimperative,’ she said.

‘The government’s objective is to reduce costs but to achieve this they must work in conjunction with the Manx Motorcycle Club who have a wealth of knowledge and understanding of what is involved in racing and running our event.

‘Completely scrapping the current format and replacing it with a primarily classic-based event will not attract the visitor numbers anticipated by government.

‘We need to promote the MGP properly and attract all riders, machinery and audiences.’

Mr Moffitt said he and another former rider Nigel ‘Speedy’ John had recently been to Helsinki to promote the event. The trip was not at the behest of the Isle of Man governmant he pointed out.

The proposals by the Department of Economic Development would see the event shortened and it would also focus heavily on the classics and bigger-name riders. Two of the current four modern races would be axed.

‘I object to the disappearance of the Newcomers’ race,’ he said.

‘They need to be introducing young blood. They are talking about bringing professional riders over, but many of them ride in the BSB series which has a meeting at Cadwell during the Manx. And how many of those professional riders are road racers?’

Mr Sells pointed out the average MGP visitor spent money at the various heritage sites around the island and often stayed for longer than the average TT visitor.

Gary Compsty of the Ginger Hall Hotel at Sulby said they had already had six bookings cancelled for next year’s MGP by people who said they were not interested in coming to the revamped event if the proposals go ahead.

‘So that’s already cost me about £1,500,’ he said.

Protesters spoke to DED minister John Shimmin outside the Tynwald buildings, along with David Callister MLC and Onchan MHK David Quirk.

They are hoping the government will be prepared to concede some sort of compromise with the Manx Motor Cycle Club.

[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]

BY John Turner

(This post was last modified: 15-05-2012, 01:38 PM by Malcolm.)
15-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Just a thought,

How many present day TT riders were at the "Protest" this morning, and how many of them have voiced an opinion on the "changes" to be made to the Grand Prix ?

It would appear that perhaps with there being a lack of comment/opinion forthcoming from them, that there may well be an agenda in place that prevents them from coming forward with an opinion at all ????

As I say, just a thought and not an attempt to initiate any type of conspiracy theory whatsoever.

15-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
I'd be very surprised if any of them commented - I expect they've been gagged. The most disappointing silences are from those who recently graduated to the TT via the Manx and by recently I mean over the last 10 years or so. Gentlemen, you know who you are...
15-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Website Find Reply