Anstey wary of Dunlop factor at UGP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Anstey wary of Dunlop factor at UGP
[Image: ugphdr2012.jpg]

Ulster Grand Prix outright lap record holder Bruce Anstey says he’s wary of the threat posed by William and Michael Dunlop at Dundrod this year.

Anstey, who reproduced some of his old magic to win his ninth Isle of Man TT in the Supersport class, joined William and Tyco Suzuki’s Conor Cummins at Parliament Buildings in Belfast for the official launch of the historic road race, which is celebrating its 90th anniversary this year.

Once again, the News Letter is on board as the print media partners of the 2012 Ulster Grand Prix and we’ll be bringing our readers unrivalled coverage of the fans’ number one road race.

Padgetts Honda star Anstey was a somewhat controversial winner of the first Superbike race at the ‘Prix’ in 2011 after starting from the second group, but he remains the fastest man ever to lap Dundrod and returns in August as one of the major players.

The unassuming Kiwi believes his record 2010 lap of 133.97mph could be under threat and joked that while he is ‘getting older,’ Ulster’s Dunlops boys are ‘getting faster’.

“The Ulster Grand Prix is a real rider’s circuit, I really enjoy it,” Anstey said.

“I’m looking forward to the Ulster this year - if we get a good day one of us could break the record.

“I’d like to say I could do it but you never know – the Dunlops are getting faster and I’m getting older!”

Manx rider Cummins, who missed out on the chance to ride at the TT after picking up a hand injury when he was struck by Gary Johnson at the North West 200, is determined to make amends at the UGP.

The Ramsey ace has pencilled in the Southern 100 next month but the former Dundrod lap record holder is especially fired up for the ‘world’s fastest road race’.

“My hand is mint now and it was a shame the Senior TT was cancelled because that’s the one we were waiting for, but that’s how it goes,” Cummins said.

“I’ve got the Southern 100 lined up but I’m really looking forward to the Ulster, although that man there [Bruce Anstey] is going to be tough to beat.”

Last year’s man of the meeting, Michael Dunlop, plus Guy Martin are also among the confirmed entries to date.

Bike Week runs from August 6-11, with the Topaz Dundrod 150 on Thursday, August 9 and the Ulster GP on Saturday, August 11.

Wristbands granting entry to the course and paddock all week cost £25 (under 16s free) and can be pre-booked on the Ulster Grand Prix website www.ulstergrandprix.net until the end of June.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

15-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Website Find Reply