Lorenzo Scores Superb San Marino Grand Prix Victory
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Lorenzo Scores Superb San Marino Grand Prix Victory
[Image: yamaharacinghdr.jpg]

Yamaha Factory Racing’s Jorge Lorenzo brought his 2012 race win tally to six today, leading from the start grid to take victory in the Grand Prix of San Marino. The victory was doubly special for Yamaha as it was achieved running a special Yamaha ‘Race- Blu’ livery. The race itself started in dramatic fashion after Karel Abraham stalled on the grid causing yellow flags to come out and the start lights to remain on. Confusion followed with some riders false starting. In the chaos arch rival Dani Pedrosa suffered some technical issues and was then relegated to the back of the grid. The Spaniard was soon to crash out of the race, giving Championship leader Lorenzo the opportunity to wrap up Misano having secured a 38 point advantage and a total of 270 points from his six wins and six second place finishes.

Ben Spies was pleased to finally complete a race weekend without major incident, the Texan starting well from his third row start to jump to sixth on the first lap. A lack of feeling with the less than perfect set up resulted in a little loss of speed mid-race but Spies was soon to step up the pace again, eventually passing Stephan Bradl to take fifth at the line just seven seconds behind his team mate in first. The 11 points taken puts him on 77 and he remains in 10th place in the standings.

Jorge Lorenzo - Position 1st - Time: 42'49.836

“It’s been a very tough weekend because Dani and I have been very close in the qualifying and the warm up. Unfortunately today he had really bad luck, first with the lights at the beginning of the race and then Hector took him out. This was really unfortunate for him. In Holland we were unlucky and today he was unlucky, anything can happen in these races. We have to be happy with our result and the point advantage we now have, for sure we are much more calm now than before the race! The race was difficult for everyone, only having qualifying was not enough when you have to set up the chassis and electronics and everything for the race. It was hotter during the race so there was less grip too. I almost crashed in turn one but managed to save it too!”

Ben Spies - Position 5th - Time: +7.543

“I know we didn’t get on the podium but I’m glad we were able to finally just have a normal race. Some of the times weren’t quick enough for the podium but we put on a good charge in the end. We struggled with a few things, especially some feeling with the front tyre. It’s been a difficult weekend and we didn’t start the race with the perfect set up but luckily could still put together an ok race. After what’s happened in the last eight weeks it almost feels like a podium for me!”

Wilco Zeelenberg - Yamaha Factory Racing Team Manager

“A very spectacular race and an important victory. Of course I feel sorry for Dani because he didn’t deserve what happened. At the end of the day you can’t have 18 races without incidents, it would be nice but impossible. We’re leading now with 38 points with five races to go so we need to keep up the pressure to the end.”

Massimo Meregalli - Yamaha Factory Racing Team Director

“A great victory for Jorge, especially during a special event for Yamaha with the Race-Blu launch. A shame for Dani, suffering the same as we did in Assen. We’re in a great position now but from here to the end we need to stay consistent. Unfortunately Ben didn’t have a great feeing with the front tyre which compromised his results. A top five finish is good anyway after such a difficult weekend and definitely a step in the right direction.”

16-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Website Find Reply