Oldest Living TT winner
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Oldest Living TT winner
Elsewhere, there are people wondering if Geoff Duke (90 on Friday coming) is the oldest living TT rider who has won a TT Race.....

I checked my lists and believe he is with Ken Kavanagh a close second (he was 89 on December 12th)

Can anyone confirm or disagree with us.......and who is the THIRD oldest living TT Winner // ?????
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
27-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Website Find Reply
Carl Coleman Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
RE: Oldest Living TT winner
Hello Ian

My name is Carl Coleman, living in New Zealand. My father is Rod Coleman, ex-AJS factory team member and winner of the 1954 Junior TT aboard an AJS 7R3. With regard your posted question, Rod is now aged 90, having his birthday recently on 19 June 2016. Rod and Geoff Duke were very good friends both during their racing years and later years. At one stage, Geoff and his wife were seriously trying to emigrate to New Zealand, but our government (in their misguided wisdom) did not approve their application. They visited our family a few times in New Zealand and enjoyed the boating and relaxed lifestyle down here (particularly Lake Taupo where my family had a holiday home and motor yacht). Upon hearing of Geoff's passing, Rod asked me if I knew whether or not if Ken Kavanagh was still alive. To my knowledge he still is and is still living in Italy, as he married an Italian lady at the end of his racing career. I am unaware of any other past TT winner being older than Ken, and do think that Rod is probably now the second oldest living TT winner. I would appreciate your confirmation or otherwise. Regards, Carl.
(This post was last modified: 29-07-2016, 01:17 PM by Malcolm.)
29-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Good to hear from Carl Coleman. I believe that he is correct. His father IS the 2nd oldest TT winner. The oldest being Ken Kavanagh (born 1923). Second Rod Coleman (1926) . Next oldest would be Cecil Sandford (1928), followed by Luigi Taveri(1929), three days older than Carlo Ubbiali .
I reckon that John Surtees is probably the next along the line, (1934)!
Please pass on my best wishes to your father, who would remember my father (Allan Jefferies), who for many years was the Riders Liaision Officer, and Deputy Clerk of the Course.
01-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Find Reply
Paroni09 Offline

Jim Redman is born 1931-11-08, so, he is older as John Surtees is.
20-08-2016, 07:37 PM
Find Reply
Paroni09 Offline

After Carlo Ubbiali, Jim Redman is next oldest TT winner.

========================================

Sorry for my bad english, i'm an old Dutchmen.
20-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
Hi Carl,
I met your dad when he was in Australia in the fifties, together with his brother Bob. He was a very popular competitor, especially amongst the AJS importers, P & R Williams, group. My dad worked and rode for P & R's and he got the Coleman autographs for me. Still have them. lovely to hear about Rod.
Jan
16-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Find Reply