Best Result For Halsall Racing Kawasaki's Costello At Assen
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Best Result For Halsall Racing Kawasaki's Costello At Assen
[Image: halsallracinglogo.jpg]

The Halsall Racing Kawasaki team leave The Netherlands feeling strong ahead of the remainder of the season after two solid MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship races at Assen.

Rider Lee Costello brought the Bolton-based team's Halsall Racing Kawasaki ZX-10R machine home 15th in today's first race, following it up with a solid 11th in the second.

This weekend marked the first visit for both the team and Costello, which meant the first and second practice sessions were devoted entirely to getting to grips with the track. The Bolton rider qualified 20th ahead of the opening race and got a great start, holding position for a few laps before beginning to move up the order, finally crossing the line 15th and picking up a point.

For race two he again started from 20th, and once again got a good start. As chaos ensued further up ahead with many of the Title Fighters crashing out, Costello kept his head down and was soon making his way through the field. As the tough Dutch track continued to claim more victims ahead, Costello was never in any trouble as he fought on and took 11th to record his best result of the season so far and giving him another five points.

Lee Costello:

"I'm pleased with our progress today, it hasn't been an easy weekend but I'm happy to get that 11th and to achieve my best result of the year. Of course a lot of it was down to others crashing but at the end of the day you've got to be in it to win it, and finishing the race is part of that. I was racing in the same group as people like Chris Walker, a rider who has lots of experience here so I'm very happy with that. I feel good and happy with the bike now. I think it should be easier for us to set up now for the next round, it finally feels like we've moved in the right direction. I know it's quite late now, but hopefully we can end the season with some more good results. Considering this is a track I've never seen before, I have to be happy with what we've all achieved here today."

[Image: LeeCostello_Assen.jpg]

Tony Costello, acting team manager at Assen:

"It's been a good weekend, especially when you think that this is a track we've never been to before. We had no idea what to expect when we arrived, but everyone involved with the team has worked really hard and we've pulled in two points finishes. It's been a case of turn up and learn the track, and while it hasn't been an easy weekend, Lee has come away with two good results and we all feel like we've made a big step in the right direction. Lee seems to be a lot happier now and I think it points to a good end of season for all of the team."

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship Race 1 - 18 Laps

1. Alex Lowes (Honda)
2. Shane Byrne (Kawasaki)
3. Tommy Bridewell (Yamaha)
4. Josh Brookes (Suzuki)
5. Noriyuki Haga (Kawasaki)
6. Jakub Smrz (Honda)
15. Lee Costello (Halsall Racing Kawasaki)

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship Race 2 - 18 Laps

1. James Ellison (Yamaha)
2. PJ Jacobsen (Suzuki)
3. Ryuichi Kiyonari (Honda)
4. Jon Kirkham (BMW)
5. James Westmoreland (BMW)
6. Chris Walker (Kawasaki)
11. Lee Costello (Halsall Racing Kawasaki)

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship - Championship Positions after Assen (Round 10)

1. Alex Lowes 559
2. Shane Byrne 558
3. James Ellison 538
4. Josh Brookes 535
5. Ryuichi Kiyonari 522
6. James Westmoreland 519
22. Lee Costello 16

Picture courtesy of Jon Jessop: Lee Costello in action at Assen this weekend.

23-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Website Find Reply