new one make series for scotland?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: new one make series for scotland?
I have read all the comments and opinions which have been posted. Its good to see people that obviously love and care for this sport. I thought I would post my views and answers to some of your questions.

Liz mentioned if there would be a bike for a rider if they write theirs off, yes there will be spare bikes along with spare plastics and a host of others to get the bike back on track if need be.

Stella was asking where will the riders come from. I was hoping for all new riders,so to make the series as even as possible. 20 riders would be great but depending in interest 32 can go on the grid. The only thing is if we do not get around 20 riders the series will not happen.

It was mentioned about East Fortune. I would like to take the series there but again depending on interest it may not happen due to added cost. If say the series went ahead 2004, if say 4 riders wanted to enter in the 600's at East Fortune, I would take the bikes down there for them (to make sure bikes can not be altered in anyway) the riders would have to pay for there entry, fuel, all running costs, etc along with any damage to the machines )no hire charge for the bike. I feel if 2004 was successful then it may be easier to introduce the East Fortune meetings in 2005 with the success of 2004.

Cost wise, yes its expensive, but its a very expensive sport as we all know.

As you know a full breakdown of what the rider would receive throughout the year is on the web site. My opinion is if you write down all the costs from bike to spare bolt, tyres, oil, entries etc its pretty good value (I know what your thinking. "he would say that anyway").

There is a hundred and one things that could be mentioned good and bad things. Overall I love bike racing, and if the single series takes off I'll be delighted to be a part of it and its cause.

Looking forward to East Fortune this month.

The awning will be open to anyone who has any ideas to better the series or even just to pass comment whether good or bad.

Scott.

02-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott,

A bold venture and then some! When an entrepreneur moves for change there will always be sceptics who claim it will never work.

If the series gets the backing and receives a high profile then I'm sure it will be a success.

The Benjie Cockerills, Tommy Hills, Kieran Clarkes etc... will be on the shopping lists for Supersports and Superbikes in the near future just to prove that one make formulas can work.

The Scottish series may not have the media coverage of the Yamaha R6 Cup but I'm sure a lot of people will be taking notice of the front runners. As you mentioned it would be good if the series attracted the younger riders.

Good Luck!

Gordon

03-07-2003, 12:24 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes thanks for responding to all our comments, and appreciate the points that you have answered. I love and live roadracing as many people know and wish you good luck with your plans for the future even if we don`t agree with some of the points, we obviously both care a great deal about racing and its future. Will be at East Fortune too, not sure that i know you but please say hi !
cheers,
Stella
03-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott,

Good to see you reply to this thread.
I notice from what you are saying that you are open to suggestions etc, And quite willing to take the machines to East Fortune for the riders involved.
At least you are able to accomodate for that.
All i can say is i wish you well for 2004!
How much interest have you had in the series up to now?
how can you decide who is eligible for this series? (age? licence grade?)
the reason i ask is :- after i had two years out from racing i had to start afresh with a novice licence, What is to stop this happening again to someone else?
One other thought.
How many people are involved with yourself?
what i mean is, Two mins before a race and it pours of rain!
is it you and a couple of people running around changing wheels on 20 Bikes?
Or are wets even going to be a concideration?
Albeit problems that can be overcome.
Good luck with your venture

Regards John
03-07-2003, 04:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gordon, Stella, John

Thank you for your best wishes I do appreciate them.

John, you asked about the number of people involved. There will be mechanics for repairs, breakdowns etc on the Sunday racing. The bikes run of road stock tyres dry or wet so this deletes the problem you mentioned. I thought about wets but due to the problem you mentioned it would waste valubale time for everyone (even other classes) and it would also take so many people to make it work.

You also asked about the entrants, the age group would be from 18 yrs onwards. They would have to have an novice / qualifiers licience dated from 2004 with no previous race experience apart from the previous year if they hold a qualifiers. Each proposed entrants name would be checked from a list from SACU listing previous licence holders. The main purpose for this series (for me) is to give the new (novice)/ newish (qualifiers)riders an even par as possible so everyone has a chance of winning. It may be a case of depending again or interest, say 10 riders are novice and 10 riders are qualifiers, that there are two first prizes which also would be good. The good thing is nothing is set in stone at present, thing can be taken or or added in.

I hope that answers your queries.

Scott

03-07-2003, 06:08 PM