TT museum a high priority
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TT museum a high priority
[Image: hailwoodonbike4.jpg]

The concept of a year-round TT visitor centre and interactive museum is being investigated as a high priority.

In a written reply to a Tynwald question from Bill Henderson (Douglas North), Economic Development Minister Laurence Skelly said he strongly supported the concept of a year-round TT attraction.

Mr Skelly said over the three years to 2013, the TT and Festival of Motorcycling had seen a 33 per cent increase in visitor numbers, 35 per cent in visitor spending and 46 per cent in government income.

He said while no final figures were yet available for 2014, all information from public and private sources indicate further substantial growth this year.

Mr Skelly said:

‘I am keen to build on this success in several ways. A physical TT attraction such as a visitor centre and interactive museum could allow us to attract TT fans all year round, boosting visitor numbers.

‘My department has already engaged several parties to investigate this concept, including Manx National Heritage. I have instructed my officers to investigate this further as a high priority.’

He said this was also linked to the concept of the TT World Series which he said could allow the TT brand to be promoted in key cities around the world.

Mr Skelly said the concept of a TT attraction is linked to other possible developments in the island. With government income limited, a ‘virtual development team’ had been formed to pursue several potentially valuable sites and projects for development.

[Image: iomtodaynewlogo.jpg]
31-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Website Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
RE: TT museum a high priority
Not a TT museum but at least a step in the right direction.

New Jurby classic museum

The building is well under way, the old guardroom has been converted to a cafe and is already open.
22-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Find Reply
Hammy Offline

Threads: 7
I visited the Jurby museum this year where all the old vehicles were on display, is there going to be a completely new building with new exhibits for 2015 ?
22-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

(22-11-2014, 05:06 PM)Hammy Wrote: I visited the Jurby museum this year where all the old vehicles were on display, is there going to be a completely new building with new exhibits for 2015 ?

More info here

You will have to be patient, the clips take an age to buffer.
22-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Find Reply
prefab Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
They could chuck a few bob Peter Murray's way, to save slapping up a new building and filling it with artefacts, that will only replicate or be a pale shadow of what's already established.
Nothing upstairs Blush
22-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
To help them attractive tt visitors to return at other times as visitors ??? Most that come to the TT are skint for the rest of the year , the last thing they are thinking of is coming to a TT museum?? On the iom

"How do you fancy a day at a museum darling ? ". Says he " oh that would be nice dear, which one were you thinking of? " says her " oh the new TT one over at Jurby " says he " you F ---ng what?? You think we are going trailing over there spending more money on that F.--ing. Place you have another think coming " shouts her in a voice you could hear the other side of yonder hills
22-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Find Reply
Hammy Offline

I think 'Museum' is not an appropriate word, 'Exhibition' would be better. When myself and a couple of mates were over this year for the S100 we visited the Jurby exhibition and there were two coach loads of 'tourists' visiting and seemed to be enjoying themselves. I think it may attract visitors to the Island who see it as an additional experience. You would be surprised the number of non-bikers who visit, was sat in the Douglas railway station waiting room and overheard two guys who had come over only for the trains ! Not everyone is skint, I always do TT and S100 (and occasionally the Manx) in the same year, as do my friends.
23-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Find Reply
stubottle Offline

Threads: 2
We're looking forward to a museum at Oliver's Mount, which has been in the pipeline for a good few years now.
I know a few bikers who visit the Island when it's quiet (and cheap), so the more attractions there are, the better.
Huh
23-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
(23-11-2014, 09:56 PM)stubottle Wrote: We're looking forward to a museum at Oliver's Mount, which has been in the pipeline for a good few years now.
I know a few bikers who visit the Island when it's quiet (and cheap), so the more attractions there are, the better.

That would be good at Oliver's mount, usually over for all the bike events during the summer. As regards the tt museum, there are plenty of bikers over all summer (not withstanding tt, S100 n Manx visitors) that go across just for the riding and lack of speed limits. I think it would get plenty of trade (especially during a race cancelled wet day)

=======================================================================
See you on the island
(This post was last modified: 23-11-2014, 11:31 PM by H2pots.)
23-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Find Reply
stubottle Offline

Threads: 2
A lot of bikers ride the circuit as part of a visit to the seaside and would probably pop into the museum, especially if a cafe was part of it. Another pie for Peter's many fingers?
Huh
23-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Find Reply
DickH Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Well, now I have resurrected my Login (and I remembered it!!) and like many things the new Jurby Motor Museum is very welcome but a bit late in the day.

I very much doubt that it will change either Peter Murray's place nor Tony East's one at Kirk Michael....even thought it may become an option for them when they retire.
But it certainly is an impressive place - very big indeed - and the rate of build progress has to be seen to be believed.
Rumour has it that some of the display contents (mainly cars?) will be coming from UK but it sounds like they still need more exhibits.
It has been suggested that Government are pulling lots of strings behind the scenes.
23-11-2014, 11:36 PM
Find Reply
Hammy Offline

If they can arrange to house the Milnhouse collection of cars and bikes that would be a good addition.
24-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

There are some great private collections around the Island, would be great to see a few of them put together. I did hear on local radio that the new owner has asked locals if they have anything interesting to add to the display.
24-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Manx National Heritage have been amassing an impresive collection of TT related material over the years including bikes. You would be supprised at what they have.
Mannin Collections in Peel also have a huge collection.
If all the collections were somehow all put together, that would be something special.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
24-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

Its a far cry from the poor display in the our national museum.
24-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
(24-11-2014, 10:58 AM)c iom tt Wrote: If all the collections were somehow all put together, that would be something special.

Yes, if all was in one place it would be a great visitor attraction, 

=======================================================================
See you on the island
24-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(24-11-2014, 10:58 AM)c iom tt Wrote: Manx National Heritage have been amassing an impresive collection of TT related material over the years including bikes. You would be supprised at what they have.
Mannin Collections in Peel also have a huge collection.
If all the collections were somehow all put together, that would be something special.

i love motor museums  im a big car/bike and motorsport fan in general
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
24-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

The Jurby site  is coming on well, it looks like it is going to be an impressive building.
27-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Find Reply
Raynetjr Offline

Threads: 6
I'm sure the House of Mannanan had signs up looking for TT related stuff for a 2015 display when we visited last August but the kids wanted to hit the shop so I didn't get a chance to read it properly. I think a proper exhibit would be a great idea - but only if done well. During the other 48 weeks of the year is there anything TT/MGP related for large numbers of visitors to see? (apart from a tiny section in the Manx Museum). If they do decide to change the scoreboard (hope not) it could form the basis of a great exhibit - a TT version of the House of Mannanan would be great - they could even try and get the smells right!
29-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
Tourism seems to be very slowly recovering, a museum focussing on the Island's most famous event would be a good thing I'm sure, especially as there is little reference to it available to the visitor for 48 weeks of the year. I hope this happens.
03-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Find Reply