TT World Series role ‘unlikely’ for North West 200 and Ulster Grand Prix
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TT World Series role ‘unlikely’ for North West 200 and Ulster Grand Prix
[Image: ttmonsterlogobig.jpg]

The organisers of Northern Ireland’s two biggest international road races say it is unlikely the North West 200 or Ulster Grand Prix will be part of a proposed new TT World Series.

The Isle of Man Government has shelled out almost £190,000 as part of a feasibility study to examine the potential of expanding the TT races as a global brand.

Last month, it was confirmed that £116,348 had already been paid to the London-based Sports Consultancy firm carrying out the study, with an additional £72,080 due to the company.

The TT World Series includes plans to hold races in the Middle East and the Southern Hemisphere and the Manx Government is now seeking a commercial partner to move the plans forward in 2015.

However, NW200 Event Director Mervyn Whyte and Ulster Grand Prix Clerk of the Course Noel Johnston say they doubt either event could become a part of the TT World Series in the future.

“The TT organisers seem to be pushing this themselves and I talked to Paul Phillips about it a few years ago, but since then I’ve had no more discussions around it,” said Whyte, who flies out to the Far East on Monday to attend the Macau Grand Prix.

“We paddle our own canoe at the North West if you like and we have the best line-up of riders coming to our event who only compete at the North West – the likes of Alastair Seeley, Stuart Easton and Jeremy McWilliams. Part of the problem is that we have our own title and race sponsors and the TT World Series is seeking an overall commercial partner, so there are many different issues that arise from that, like how would it affect our PR around the North West and our branding of the circuit etcetera,” he added.

“There are a lot more factors that come into the equation to do with a World Series and I do have my reservations about it.

“At this moment in time we are not in any plans relating to the TT World Series.”

Dundrod boss Johnston said that although he had no concerns about the Ulster Grand Prix hosting a round of the series, he believes such a scenario is unlikely based on the financial confines involved in the promotion of the historic old road race, which held Grand Prix World Championship status from 1949 until 1971.

“It’s something I’d like to see happening but you’ve got to think of the money that it will cost to put this on. If you’re talking about having rounds in the Far East you wonder who will be able to afford to do it competitor-wise – will you just have the top road racers who will be paid to go there or how will it work?” Johnston said.

“It seems to be mainly a marketing tool for the TT in foreign countries; they’re not thinking about the North West or the Ulster Grand Prix or Ireland at all really.

“It’s about going to these foreign countries to market the TT and maybe generate some interest amongst foreign competitors then bring them to the TT itself in the future,”
he added.

“Obviously the more marketing you get for your event the better and I would like to see it happening, with the Ulster Grand Prix involved, but the possibility seems remote because it will all come down to money.

“We’re the poor relations when you consider the amount of money that the Manx Government is pumping into the TT and will continue to pump into the event.”

“For us, who knows what will happen in the next few years – we could be on our own with very little funding coming from the likes of the Tourist Board.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
by Kyle White
10-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: TT World Series role ‘unlikely’ for North West 200 and Ulster Grand Prix
The Manx Government have got more money than sense, and fall into the hands of consultants far too easily. Another victory for Mr Phillips ??
10-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12
RE: TT World Series role ‘unlikely’ for North West 200 and Ulster Grand Prix
I am pretty certain there is no way Johnston and Mervin White would touch this idea with a barge pole, it is just another way of promoting the TT commercial brand and when you look at the entries below the top few riders there is not a chance of most road racers affording to travel take the time from their source of income, formula one and Moto GP it ain't and a road racing event with just a dozen or twenty top sponsored riders would be a waist. There are now less starters in the GPs than there used to be in the old Brands Mallory and Oulton Park Easter Internationals.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
22-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Find Reply