IOM TT replicas on Ebay
SPEIRMOOR Offline

Threads: 4
IOM TT replicas on Ebay
One is Real and one is unsure?
(This post was last modified: 26-11-2014, 03:17 PM by SPEIRMOOR.)
25-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
RE: IOM TT replicas on Ebay
It really is a shame that some riders need to sell their trophies. No amount of money is worth the blood, sweat, and tears that of gone into winning one.
25-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Find Reply
Boltonswanderer
Unregistered

(25-11-2014, 02:35 PM)SPEIRMOOR Wrote: One is Real and one is Fake

Just had a look. Am I right in thinking the first one is NOT a genuine TT trophy ??

The second one looks more like the real thing but quite old and there's no name / date plate with it.

Are there any TT trophy experts on here could enlighten us further    Huh
25-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Matjac Offline

Threads: 2
They both look correct to me the second one ( not the round base) is a lot older probably from the70's early 80's.
It is up to the person who has won them if they need or want to sell. I have only 6 but would not like to part with any of them. Cheers Matt.
25-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Find Reply
Boltonswanderer
Unregistered

(25-11-2014, 08:42 PM)Matjac Wrote: They both look correct to me the second one ( not the round base) is a lot older probably from the70's early 80's.
It is up to  the person who has won them if they need or want to sell.  I have only 6 but would not like to part with any of them. Cheers Matt.

Cheers Mat,

Ant.
25-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Matjac Offline

Threads: 2
Hi Ant, have you still got my picture off the Pub wall? Might have a run over to Warrington next week catch up then if you get there. Cheers Matt.
25-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Find Reply
Boltonswanderer
Unregistered

(25-11-2014, 08:53 PM)Matjac Wrote: Hi Ant, have you still got my picture off the Pub wall?  Might have a run over to Warrington next week catch up then if you get there. Cheers Matt.

Certainly have Matt it's hanging in pride of place among my other TT collectibles including the Ian Lougher picture you got signed for me.

Sorry I didn't manage to catch up with you in the pits this year, the week just went to soon.

I'll be at the Warrington show on the 5th with a group from work, so i'll look out for you.

Ant.
25-11-2014, 11:55 PM
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
(25-11-2014, 05:39 PM)cpt_pants Wrote: It really is a shame that some riders need to sell their trophies. No amount of money is worth the blood, sweat, and tears that of gone into winning one.

I have had this conversation with a rider that was selling all of his trophys apart from the first replica he won, and his podium replica.
He said that part off the reason he was selling them was it use to make him feel sick when he realised how much money he had spent over the years to get them, and looking at them all the time just reminded him.
Charlie Williams sold all of his trophys to Mannnin Collections in Peel. His reason was they were not on show, and stored in cardboard boxes!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
(This post was last modified: 26-11-2014, 12:15 PM by c iom tt.)
26-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Find Reply
Boltonswanderer
Unregistered

(26-11-2014, 12:12 PM)c iom tt Wrote:
(25-11-2014, 05:39 PM)cpt_pants Wrote: It really is a shame that some riders need to sell their trophies. No amount of money is worth the blood, sweat, and tears that of gone into winning one.

I have had this conversation with a rider that was selling all of his trophys apart from the first replica he won, and his podium replica.
He said that part off the reason he was selling them was it use to make him feel sick when he realised how much money he had spent over the years to get them, and looking at them all the time just reminded him.
Charlie Williams sold all of his trophys to Mannnin Collections in Peel. His reason was they were not on show, and stored in cardboard boxes!

This subject makes you realize just how much commitment and sacrifice riders and their family's / friends make year in year out  and the stress it leaves behind.
26-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
There's a hell of a lot of effort in winning a replica. Everyone I earned has a story behind it.
I wouldn't dream of letting mine go, but..... well  in years to come, my daughters won't want them!
Incidentally, I don't THINK the second one is genuine. Can anyone else enlighten us? Our family have earned TT replicas since the 60s, and I have never seen one like the one marked fake, even though the mercury itself looks genuine.
26-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Find Reply
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7
I agree with splashdown. I know the cost of a replica and my family have put a huge amount into racing over the years but I would never consider getting rid of them. They take pride of place in the trophies I have on display!
Having said that I can understand what Charlie Williams is saying. At best I'm a slightly better than average club rider. Last weekend I was sorting out the loft I've got 5 big bags of trophies in their boxes that will probably never see the light of day as I don't have space to display them all. That's without seeing what trials trophies are still at my parents.

I'll finish it one day!
26-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Find Reply
SPEIRMOOR Offline

Hey I changed the original "Fake " to "unsure" as the seller has listed it as " no information plate" so it may be legit. I asked for more info and will report back
26-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
I have never seen a TT replica with a square base before, and if you look at the bottom of the statue itself, the bottom on that is square, so the base has not been changed for a square one. It is probably an old car racing trophy.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
26-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Find Reply
SPEIRMOOR Offline

Swift reply and reasonable explanation. Seller has 100% record.

"Hi Speirmoor,

Sorry I do not know the year henceforth no plate.

All I can tell you is that the trophy was bought at a regulated sports memorabilia auction and is possibly a Manx trophy as shown by the unusual base.

Thanx for your interest"
26-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Find Reply
Carole Offline
Multi tasker

None of Steve's TT replicas have a square base like the one shown, so either its well before the 80's, or it is as suggested a car Trophy- the Manx ones are much smaller . The other one looks genuine to me.
Life's too short- live it to the max and enjoy yourselves
26-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Hi Carole.
Hope all's well down there.
I've seen TT reps from the 20s, 30s 40s and 50s, plus ours from the 60s. They've never been like that one. However, I haven't ridden the TT since 2002, but I'm told these Classic TT replicas are the same as the TT ones........aren't they?
On mine, the "round bit" that Mercury's wheel is riding on is taller than all my earlier (80s onwards) replicas.
I doubt very much that the "fake" or unidentified replica is a genuine TT Race replica.
26-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
(26-11-2014, 06:22 PM)Carole Wrote: None of Steve's TT replicas have a square base like the one shown, so either its well before the 80's, or it is as suggested a car Trophy- the Manx ones are much smaller . The other one looks genuine to me.

Carole, what would Steve know about replicas?  hehe,  most if not all the car trophies, Mercury stands on a globe and not a wheel, Hailwood had replica on his return with a square base and I am sure Joey had some for one year only 1978, kindest regards to Steve and the boys, Bill.
(This post was last modified: 27-11-2014, 03:18 PM by spannerman.)
26-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
Looks like it could be one made by Glen English for the 100 years of the TT.
27-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
(26-11-2014, 12:12 PM)c iom tt Wrote:

I had not thought about the reasons for selling other than maybe falling on hard times. Thanks for that.
27-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Find Reply
y2blade Offline

Threads: 13
Very sad if these are genuine items
27-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Find Reply