hope I am not there when this happens in the IOM 

http://youtu.be/5umnqsOtw0E  

29-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
RE: Any one for a Subaru lap
(29-11-2014, 10:13 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: hope I am not there when this happens in the IOM 

http://youtu.be/5umnqsOtw0E  

I would like to think Bikers would not sit in such a stupid place Eddy, but you never know!
30-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
The rally world inspite of many, many accidents of this nature seem to continue to carry on as normal.
That said,we can not have it both ways, complaning about restricted areas in one breath, whilst complaning about incidents like this in another.
However... with regards to the TT, I go to watch MOTORBIKES racing/practicing on the Mountain course, not someone with enough money getting there kicks in a car on closed roads.
To make maters worse, we have had to put up with,and accept the Subaru laps as the powers that be keep raming down our throats the amount of revenue they bring in so the TT can fund itself ( and a huge DED presence (there words) for the duration of the NEC bike show) , whilst at the same time shutting down the main point of reffrence that anyone wanting to visit the TT for the first time.
They take incompetence to a new level, whilst patting each other on the back for how well they have done.
What I am trully shocked about is I thought with David Cretney at the helm, he would bring them all into check, where the complete opposite seems to have happened.
Sorry for the rant, I still can not get my head around it all.
As has been said before, the one positive thing in all this nonsense is we have ended up on a better forum.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
30-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
but the sad fact is Dommy they do , and the TT being what it is we can never make it any better , but the truth is that when they do risk assesment on the course it is done from a bike perspective not a car one and they are or should be totaly different ellements ,
some times I wish I had not got involved in the official side of things how much easier it was just having to think about my self and the wife , becoming a marshal put a whole different slant on my out look on things , I suffer from all or nowts disease
30-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Find Reply
studiosoft Offline

Threads: 1
(30-11-2014, 06:41 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: but the sad fact is Dommy they do , and the TT being what it is we can never make it any better , but the truth is that when they do risk assesment on the course it is done from a bike perspective not a car one and they are or should be totaly different ellements ,
some times I wish I had not got involved in the official side of things how much easier it was just having to think about my self and the wife , becoming a marshal put a whole different slant on my out look on things , I suffer from all or nowts disease

I have marshalled on many rally events and I have witnessed all kinds of incidents. In the same way that biking incidents can defy gravity, theory and physics I have seen cars end up in the most unlikely places. A risk assessment is all very well but a fast moving object of any kind is liable to bounce or deviate in the most unexpected manner.

The simple fact is that nobody who stands next to a motor sport track is 100% safe and we all stand in our chosen position at our own risk.

The Subaru laps are making money for the TT fund but at what point do they become a liability? The rule of 'Sod' will apply eventually and one of these laps, which are almost constantly a few inches from disaster, will go badly wrong and it will be the ill-equipped TT Marshals who have to pick up the pieces.

Is it fair to ask these bike fans, who willingly give their time to the TT, to have the inevitable destruction, etched in their memories at an event where 4 wheeled vehicles have no real part to play?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am going as fast as I want.
30-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Website Find Reply

good point Studio will not marshal when I think that the Subatu is coming but this year that car was sent round unanounced on two ocasions making it that I was not given chance to stand down and not take part in somthing I object to , and that is no on , it will not happen again for I will only marshal now when I know the car is not there , I am not trained to deal with cars , train me and I may change my mind , but at the very least give me the chance not to take part as they did when it first was run , dont as now take me for granted and walk all over my freedom of choice , as the shortage becomes short of one more ,
30-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
I've been close to all kinds of motorsport for a long time now and I think it's true to say that the dynamics of a high speed car crash will be rather different to that of a bike.  Something weighing 150kg doing 140mph may bounce off an obstacle but something weighing 1200kg doing the same speed may go right through whatever it hits.

I accept that as sponsors, if the organisers can raise a few quid by separating VIPs from there money by sending them out in the course cars for laps they would be doing anyway then fair enough.  I sincerely hope though that we see no more of these 'record attempts'.

Unfortunately money seems to over-ride safety these days.  Example: When North One first started covering the TT I was shooting a race from Parliament Square.  As a stills photographer I'm not allowed any further out than the end of the recticel barriers where the marshals congregate, which is fair enough.  Halfway through the race a camera crews shows up and sets up a large broadcast camera and tripod in what would be the escape lane up Parliament St.  The DSM naturally ordered them to move and they said they had permission to be there.  A phone call to race control confirmed that they did.  So - how is it unsafe for me to be there (and any competitor that might want to use the escape road) but safe for them?  As a matter of interest I saw a crew set up there camera in front of the safety barriers at the Creg this year - right at the spot where Rafael Paschaolin hit them earlier in the week.  I'm not allowed to be there, so why are they?
01-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Website Find Reply
studiosoft Offline

Threads: 1
(01-12-2014, 07:36 PM)sticky Wrote: I've been close to all kinds of motorsport for a long time now and I think it's true to say that the dynamics of a high speed car crash will be rather different to that of a bike.  Something weighing 150kg doing 140mph may bounce off an obstacle but something weighing 1200kg doing the same speed may go right through whatever it hits.

I accept that as sponsors, if the organisers can raise a few quid by separating VIPs from there money by sending them out in the course cars for laps they would be doing anyway then fair enough.  I sincerely hope though that we see no more of these 'record attempts'.

Unfortunately money seems to over-ride safety these days.  Example: When North One first started covering the TT I was shooting a race from Parliament Square.  As a stills photographer I'm not allowed any further out than the end of the recticel barriers where the marshals congregate, which is fair enough.  Halfway through the race a camera crews shows up and sets up a large broadcast camera and tripod in what would be the escape lane up Parliament St.  The DSM naturally ordered them to move and they said they had permission to be there.  A phone call to race control confirmed that they did.  So - how is it unsafe for me to be there (and any competitor that might want to use the escape road) but safe for them?  As a matter of interest I saw a crew set up there camera in front of the safety barriers at the Creg this year - right at the spot where Rafael Paschaolin hit them earlier in the week.  I'm not allowed to be there, so why are they?
Common sense dictates that they are not allowed there either but these people consider themselves immune to the laws of physics and any other official body because they are 'the press' and the event couldn't possibly take place without their involvement.

It is infuriating for everyone who has stood their position for several hours to have the 'press' come and camp in front of you, minutes before the action is due to start. In some ways, the forest car rallies are much better than the TT, in this situation because the TT lacks a plentiful supply of pine cones. The forests of England and Wales have witnessed what a fine target the blue bib of a press photographer makes in between the high speed action.
I can also say that some of our press photographer friends have born the brunt of some severe crowd castigation having ignored the advice of marshals who have a plentiful supply of knowledge to call upon when it comes to which positions are likely to be filled with a wayward competitor in desperate need of a close look at the scenery.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am going as fast as I want.
01-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
I have a freind who use to work for Greenlight. He says how frustrating and upseting it was watching North One doing and getting things done that Greenlight had asked to do in previous years but were told they could not have/could not do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
01-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Find Reply

I was on a corner and I will not say which corner as I don't want to get anyone in to trouble , but a tv crew tuned up and wanted to put up a tripod and gear in a place where there was a red dot painted on the ground, the DSM said you are not putting that there they argued that they had permission to put it there but the D S M. Said over my dead body I am in charge hear until a replacement is sent out and you are not end of, the TV crew went off muttering that there would be trouble, but as far as I know nothing ever became of it , and I have to say the D S M, was spot on correct, and I have seen the people going round marking out where they want the cameras putting and all they look at is where they will get the best shots from they have no concept of safety, and if you point it out to them they just shrug their shoulders and say oh it will be okay, then when the camera monkey turns up he says well ye but this where they want to us???? Sheep
02-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Find Reply
BRADDAN OAK Offline

Threads: 21
Good point Eddie, I also think that 'NO PUBLIC ACCESS' should be put on the TV crews gantry. I spend a lot of time having to move the public that have set up camp on there, I get a fair bit of flack. Some times when the TV crews have turned up they have complained that they can't get on the gantry.

09-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Find Reply

(01-12-2014, 09:26 PM)c iom tt Wrote: I have a freind who use to work for Greenlight. He says how frustrating and upseting it was watching North One doing and getting things done that Greenlight had asked to do in previous years but were told they could not have/could not do.

I think that is the face of changing times,  some one in God's office has realised the power of the media and thinks that TV is the B and all to the future of the TT,   I am not convinced yes it can be a great tool,  but at the same time it has the power to crash and burn things in its wake never to be seen again 
10-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Find Reply