Freedom of speech???
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Freedom of speech???
I wonder?  

Is there freedom of speech in the ISLE OF Man?  We say things on a forum they do not like ( truth hurts,  comes to mind ) and they close it down, 

Some one puts a post on Facebook on the Public Group site TT Isle of Man Tourist Trophy,  and guess what  ??   it has been removed 

So I ask is the Facebook group run by the ded that they wanted us all to go to,  so that they could censor us by just removing any thing they disapprove of with out the fuss of closing a forum down 

And lastly how much influence do they have on this site?  Are we to be gagged if we say things they don't like how ever true what we are saying may be,  remembering that the old site was closed because they thought we were too close to the truth,  

And before I am accused of being anonymous 
I am Edmund Daynes a regular marshal from Ripon N /Yorkshire contactable. By email at eddydaynes@gmail.com or on mobile 07837509203 
30-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Find Reply

RE: Freedom of speech???
Oh and the removed item is what I posted on this site in the photo video section,  

Time will tell I suppose. 

30-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
Eddie, rest assured Malcolm has no conection to DED and runs this site independently out of his own pocket.

The only censorship Malcolm will enforce will be as he sees neccessary to keep an orderly house and to protect the site and its owner from any potential legal issues in relation to postings which could be used for example as proof of being defamatory against a named person or organisation.

Dont forget that website owners can be put into an awkward position if they allow things to get out of hand on their sites even though they havent posted them themselves and even if they dont actually agree with the postings.

Other than that you should be fine mate.
(This post was last modified: 30-11-2014, 12:41 PM by warrior.)
30-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
(30-11-2014, 10:58 AM)Steady the Edward Wrote: I wonder?  

Is there freedom of speech in the ISLE OF Man?  We say things on a forum they do not like ( truth hurts,  comes to mind ) and they close it down, 

Some one puts a post on Facebook on the Public Group site TT Isle of Man Tourist Trophy,  and guess what  ??   it has been removed 

So I ask is the Facebook group run by the ded that they wanted us all to go to,  so that they could censor us by just removing any thing they disapprove of with out the fuss of closing a forum down 

And lastly how much influence do they have on this site?  Are we to be gagged if we say things they don't like how ever true what we are saying may be,  remembering that the old site was closed because they thought we were too close to the truth,  

And before I am accused of being anonymous 
I am Edmund Daynes a regular marshal from Ripon N /Yorkshire contactable. By email at eddydaynes@gmail.com or on mobile 07837509203 

Everyone,

This site is not influenced, controlled, owned and/or run by anyone other than myself "Malcolm".

However, where posts are made that contravene the T&C's of this Forum, I shall either modify, move, or remove said postings from the Forum (as I have stated many times on here and also within the T&C's which I urge you all to read and understand).

I have stated that I welcome you all to the Forums and have stated that as long as everyone behaves in an acceptable manner and complies with the way in which this site has been run for many years, then we should not have any problems.

So, it is up to each and every one of you to comply with my wishes, and if you chose to do otherwise, then you know what the consequences will be.

Malcolm.

smilie
30-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Website Find Reply

Thanks for the reply Malcolm, I fully accept and understand your reply ,

I am known for being out spoken in my beliefs but all ways try to be factual and try to all ways stress that what I say is my opinion

Most of the things I am out spoken come under two banners first and foremost as a marshal is SAFETY, and in order my safety the publics safety and then the riders. Safety

Then there is the TT its self, it's long term ability to carry on in to the future,
30-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
There was a thread on Manx Forums a while back about a particular MHK who strongly objected to "ill-informed forums..." and wanted them shut down.  I don't think at the time that was directed at iomtt.com as the Manx government comes under regular fire on Manx Forums.  Whether that criticism is justified or not is not for me to say.

The problem with politicians in general is they only want to hear good things about their bright ideas and a contrary opinion is usually unwelcome.
01-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Website Find Reply

There is an American saying ( Politicians are like Diapers , they should be changed regularly for the same reason )

but that is not a thing that is unique to the Manx , in all my years I have not met any that it does not apply to ,
and that is in the opinion of me myself and I Steady the Edward

At the end of the day the Manx people were left a legacy by the grandfathers , and I would hate to see that legacy thrown away through incompetent management

as any surfer will tell you , you can ride the crest of a wave ( which is what we are doing right now at the TT ) but that wave can disappear right out from under you faster than you can blink an eye ,

01-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

The trouble Eddy is that they (the DED) haven't thought too hard about who they're annoying.  You're a marshall and there were many others on the old forum.  The event will not function without marshalls.  I'm a photgrapher/journalist.  For the TT/Classic TT/MGP this year I produced about 9 pages of coverage across two daily papers sold throughout the county - readership probably around 180,000.  If you had to buy that space to advertise the racing it would run into thousands.  I'm not paid to do this so it was all entirely at my expense - probably the wrong side of £2500 and a month spent on the Island.  But none of that matters.  According to the DED our opinions are irrelevant.

It's very fortunate that Malcolm has been able to accomodate us here and hopefully we can express ourselves without a DED representative barking at us if we're not 'on message'.

Just need to avoid saying anything that would land us or our new host in hot water!
01-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Website Find Reply

Yeah I know what you mean, to an extent I can see some of their problems , but having a problem is no big deal its how you deal with it that is the nuts of it,

They have been and are paying Duke video to provide and administrator the Web Page and forum, I would love to see the bill for the hrs that Duke will say they have been putting in to administering the forum, instead of using volunteers to help run and police it

We use marshals to run the racing they are volunteers ! why not have accountable volunteers help run the forum,

Malcolm will know more about this but I would suspect he has trusted helpers keeping. An eye on us,

I have for years been that they could make some big savings by some good house keeping but the art of good house keeping. Is to do it with out loosing out on quality
01-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

The trouble with any governmental body is if they can prove that they can function on less money than they're getting, then they'll be given a lower budget for the next year.  Not a politician on the planet that wants that, so they'll always talk about saving money while making sure they spend of much as possible to make sure they can keep doing the same next year.

My brother (a very capable economist) once interviewed for the local council and said he could probably save them a few hundred grand a year in operating costs.  They were horrified and he didn't get the job...
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2014, 10:20 PM by sticky.)
01-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Website Find Reply

The up date of the FaceBook saga is that I have been banned from the FaceBook TT site , for trying to defend what I posted Oh well , wonder if I will be banned from marshaling or setting foot back on the Rock ??
01-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
(01-12-2014, 10:14 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: The up date of the FaceBook saga is that I have been banned from the FaceBook TT site ,  for trying to defend what I posted Oh well , wonder if I will be banned from marshaling or setting foot back on the Rock ??

Eddy, I seem to remember you saying somewhere that after a couple of bad experiences at this years TT you might not go back again. Have you like many of us said that then after a while have changed your mind & say 'well maybe just one more time', 'just one more time', 'just one more time' etc. etc. Undecided
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
01-12-2014, 11:05 PM
Find Reply

No what it is , is that the wife will not be back so I will not be doing our usual three weeks and me doing every session,

A friend of mine wanted to come for the first time next year but could not do the full two weeks so I am coming over on the TT taster , over on the Thursday before and come back on the Thursday of practice week , so will be there for the first practices when they are short of marshals, and they will not have the Subaruuuuus there to throw at me so jobs a good'n, as for the rest of the year I don't know yet

We have never done the Southern 100 so may do that but I would like to do the best bit of the Manx the Jurby day. So when I get time I am going to have a look and see if I can get a day return foot passenger ticket, but not sure as if I do that I would miss the Caswell BSB round and I like that one
02-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
Ah right. I did the Southern 100 in 2012 & really enjoyed it, not a lot going on during the daytime obviously but if you like just chilling out in the IOM countryside its fine. Totally agree with you about Jurby day, I must say the 2013 one rates amongst one of the best Shows I have ever been to.  
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
02-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
Eddy,
Without the like of yourself, the TT coudnt run,
And i can understand your frustration, at not being able to say what you want when you want !
And something that Sticky said really rings true to me,,,

My brother (a very capable economist) once interviewed for the local council and said he could probably save them a few hundred grand a year in operating costs. They were horrified and he didn't get the job...

I have just finished a job with a local council,
And over the last few years have saved them around the same !
And oh boy iam glad to be out, can sleep at night for the first time in ages,,

But back to the DED,
They need a Shepard in Charge, rather than let the sheep run all around them,
Too many sheep can overrun the Shepard in charge,,
Yikes i have been in the Politically world too long!! lol

Come on Benjie !! lol
03-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Find Reply

as anyone that knows me will tell you I love the IoM and I love the TT in that order , and much of my ramblings are driven from the desire to see the TT run as safe as it can be , and the Island to flourish and prosper in such a way as to be able to continue running the TT and maintaining the fabric of the Island in a sympathetic way that can keep what we true supporters have been fortunate enough to have had the pleasure of being part of for the last 107 years

and strange as it may sound I think if they did but realise it they have been doing a good job of things , but every now and then they need to just be careful , slow down and not run the risk of crashing and burning in the pursuit of the big ££££ everything has a limit , find your limits BEFORE your limits find you

03-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Find Reply
Yoda Offline

Threads: 3
Said it many times before on the other side, the S100 is by far and away the best motorbike race meeting of the year in my opinion so you wouldn't be disappointed if gave it a try.
05-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Find Reply