Mike Hailwood.
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
Mike Hailwood.
Is Mike the youngest rider to have won 3 TT`s in a week? He also averaged over 100mph for 6 laps on a single when he won the 1961 TT, Has anybody else done that in that era? Doing one 100 mph was an achievement but six was phenomenal and only 21 years old.
13-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
RE: Mike Hailwood.
(13-12-2014, 06:53 PM)eman1948 Wrote: Is Mike the youngest rider to have won 3 TT`s in a week? He also averaged over 100mph for 6 laps on a single when he won the 1961 TT, Has anybody else done that in that era? Doing one 100 mph was an achievement but six was phenomenal and only 21 years old.

His race record will never be equalled, UKs greatest racer by far.
13-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Find Reply
roger9650 Offline

Threads: 0
Yes, switching from big singles to lightweight multis and back without any problem is rather different to today when the classes are basically all the same.  Not to mention nine laps in a day.
13-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Find Reply
Owl Man Offline

Threads: 1
As I have said before on the other side, Mike for me will always be the best ever. What makes me say that.... winning the TT after such a long lay off then a few days latter beating allcomers at Mallory Park Post TT meeting and supposidly on inferior machinery. Video is still on YouTube by the way worth a watch.
13-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
(13-12-2014, 06:53 PM)eman1948 Wrote: Is Mike the youngest rider to have won 3 TT`s in a week? He also averaged over 100mph for 6 laps on a single when he won the 1961 TT, Has anybody else done that in that era? Doing one 100 mph was an achievement but six was phenomenal and only 21 years old.

Mike also nearly won 3 world championships in one season {1967} he won the 250 and the 350 but tied with ago on points for the 500, ago having one win more than mike in that season he was crowned the champion. also i believe that in the whole race season of 67 mike never finished any lower than 3rd in all of the races he finished. Mike finished 3rd in his first world championship year 1959 but by 67 he had won 9 world titles and that was at a time when lots of GP's where held on road circuits. Mike was very special and will always be missed.
14-12-2014, 03:19 AM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
Greg. If the stats on wikipedia are correct Mike did this two years in a row in both 1966 and 1967 which makes it even more amazing .
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
14-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Website Find Reply
windyman Offline

For me the best race ever was 78 when he made read and the works honda look stupid while riding a supposedly outclassed Duke,
14-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

(14-12-2014, 01:38 PM)windyman Wrote: For me the best race ever was 78 when he made read and the works honda look stupid while riding a supposedly outclassed Duke,

I think it was performance bikes that was let loose on the Duke years ago now, they also put it on the Dyno and it put out about 62bhp if I can remember,  I had a day sunning at the poolside at Macau with Steve Wynn and I mentioned the Dyno run, he said it really put out between 75-85bhp which made it a more remarkable win by Hailwood,  I feel real fortunate to have seen him race over the years.
14-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12
The great Joey said that Mike was the best and his favourite TT rider, we who were lucky enough to see him race throughout his whole career, would agree from his incredible junior battle with Gary Hocking both on works MVs to his final ride with Steve's Ducati saw the true meaning of the TT.

I was fortunate enough to ride in may races that he rode in from Nationals to the TT. The incredible lap record on the 260 6 at Oulton Park after he fell off playing around with Peter Inchley, passed him on his backside at Old Hall corner, shortly after he came past my 250 Bulltaco at Knicker Brook on his way to winning. had similar experiences many times in practice and races with him on the MVs and Works Honda's. It was awesome to see fighting that 500 Honda four in 1975. A real hero and a well deserved George Medal for trying to rescue If memory serves ne right, Fittipladi from his blazing F! car
Got to know him really well, a rue gentleman and only to happy to get myself and the late Pat Walsh hard to xome by spares for our 125 MVs from Gallarat.. For me the greatest of the greats and a modest man to boot.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
14-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
(14-12-2014, 09:21 PM)Tom Loughridge Wrote: The great Joey said that Mike was the best and his favourite  TT rider, we who were lucky enough to see him  race  throughout his whole career, would agree from his incredible junior battle with Gary Hocking  both on works MVs to his final ride with Steve's Ducati saw the true meaning of the TT.

I was fortunate enough to ride in may races that he rode in from Nationals to the TT. The incredible lap record on the 260 6 at Oulton  Park after he fell off  playing around with Peter Inchley, passed him on his backside at Old Hall corner, shortly after he came past my 250 Bulltaco at Knicker Brook on his way to winning. had similar experiences many times in practice and races with him on the MVs and Works Honda's. It was awesome to see fighting that 500 Honda four in 1975. A real hero and a well deserved George Medal for trying to rescue If memory serves ne right,  Fittipladi from his blazing F! car
Got to know him really well, a rue gentleman and only to happy to get myself and the late Pat Walsh hard to xome by spares for our 125 MVs from Gallarat.. For me the greatest of the greats and a modest man to boot.

Mike Hailwood was and remains my ultimate sporting hero. My main focus is motorcycle racing but Mike's ability and personality raised him above the rest of us. Priviledged? Yes, but he converted this privilege into success in a tough, tough sport. Those of us that have raced know how tough motorcycle racing can be and to succeed in the period he did, when many of the GP circuits were 'TT like' says it all. He could win on any machine. It must also be remembered he was successful in car racing too (Le Mans podium finisher, European F2 Champion) and was awarded the George Medal for his selfless bravery saving Clay Regazzoni at the 1973 South African Grand Prix during his car racing years. Remember also his TT comeback....what can you say? I don't wish to belittle anyone but what a man!!!
14-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Find Reply
Owl Man Offline

Tom, thanks for reminding me of that race at Oultin Park, 1967 I think. I was watching from the Hill Top area on my first visit to Oulton Park having arrived on the Crossville special bus service from Woodside, Birkenhead! First lap Read (Yam) Passolini (Benelli) and Carruthers (Aermachi) came flying past and I seem to remember Bill Ivy retiring on the run down to Island Bend. Mike was nowhere to be seen but eventually came past way down the field, I can't remember much about the race except when Mike went past either Passolini or Carruthers right in front of us whilst patting his backside, amazing that record (250 I believe) stood for many many years. If my memory serves me correctly it was beaten by Kork Ballington on the works Kwaker when the Race of the Year was held at Oulton not Mallory. Might still have the prog somewhere.
14-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

(14-12-2014, 10:38 PM)Owl Man Wrote: Tom, thanks for reminding me of that race at Oultin Park, 1967 I think. I was watching from the Hill Top area on my first visit to Oulton Park having arrived on the Crossville special bus service from Woodside, Birkenhead! First lap Read (Yam) Passolini (Benelli) and Carruthers (Aermachi) came flying past and I seem to remember Bill Ivy retiring on the run down to Island Bend. Mike was nowhere to be seen but eventually came past way down the field, I can't remember much about the race except when Mike went past either Passolini or Carruthers right in front of us whilst patting his backside, amazing that record (250 I believe) stood for many many years. If my memory serves me correctly it was beaten by Kork Ballington on the works Kwaker when the Race of the Year was held at Oulton not Mallory. Might still have the prog somewhere.

With my dad I watched at Cascades that day, the sound of the six heading to Island bend was magic, for the senior race we moved to Knickerbrook.
14-12-2014, 11:59 PM
Find Reply
Owl Man Offline

(14-12-2014, 11:59 PM)spannerman Wrote:
(14-12-2014, 10:38 PM)Owl Man Wrote: Tom, thanks for reminding me of that race at Oultin Park, 1967 I think. I was watching from the Hill Top area on my first visit to Oulton Park having arrived on the Crossville special bus service from Woodside, Birkenhead! First lap Read (Yam) Passolini (Benelli) and Carruthers (Aermachi) came flying past and I seem to remember Bill Ivy retiring on the run down to Island Bend. Mike was nowhere to be seen but eventually came past way down the field, I can't remember much about the race except when Mike went past either Passolini or Carruthers right in front of us whilst patting his backside, amazing that record (250 I believe) stood for many many years. If my memory serves me correctly it was beaten by Kork Ballington on the works Kwaker when the Race of the Year was held at Oulton not Mallory. Might still have the prog somewhere.

With my dad I watched at Cascades that day, the sound of the six heading to Island bend was magic, for the senior race we moved to Knickerbrook.

Mike on a Ken Sprayson, Reynolds framed 500 Honda in the senior if I remember correctly Spannerman. Can't remember if this was the bike known as the Camel or if that was the tittle of the originl Honda framed bike.
15-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 71
I was there that day he was playing with Peter Inchley that day  and over did it at esso bend as it was called then we were all wonderering where he was when he came screaming into lodge corner at full chat he broke the lap record in the process at 97. something mph which beat Minters 500cc lap record at 92. something mph on the Gilera what a race to watch. Happy Days.
25-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Find Reply
Paroni09 Offline

(14-12-2014, 03:19 AM)cregnybaa Wrote:

Mike also nearly won 3 world championships in one season {1967} he won the 250 and the 350 but tied with ago on points for the 500, ago having one win more than mike in that season he was crowned the champion. also i believe that in the whole race season of 67 mike never finished any lower than 3rd in all of the races he finished. Mike finished 3rd in his first world championship year 1959 but by 67 he had won 9 world titles and that was at a time when lots of GP's where held on road circuits. Mike was very special and will always be missed.

Sorry Creg,

But Mike's first world championship year was 1958 when he finished 4th.

============================================
Sorry for my bad English, i'm an old Dutchman.
26-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Find Reply
A10TT9 Offline

(14-12-2014, 10:24 PM)bsa499 Wrote:
(14-12-2014, 09:21 PM)Tom Loughridge Wrote: The great Joey said that Mike was the best and his favourite  TT rider, we who were lucky enough to see him  race  throughout his whole career, would agree from his incredible junior battle with Gary Hocking  both on works MVs to his final ride with Steve's Ducati saw the true meaning of the TT.

I was fortunate enough to ride in may races that he rode in from Nationals to the TT. The incredible lap record on the 260 6 at Oulton  Park after he fell off  playing around with Peter Inchley, passed him on his backside at Old Hall corner, shortly after he came past my 250 Bulltaco at Knicker Brook on his way to winning. had similar experiences many times in practice and races with him on the MVs and Works Honda's. It was awesome to see fighting that 500 Honda four in 1975. A real hero and a well deserved George Medal for trying to rescue If memory serves ne right,  Fittipladi from his blazing F! car

Mike Hailwood was and remains my ultimate sporting hero. My main focus is motorcycle racing but Mike's ability and personality raised him above the rest of us. Priviledged? Yes, but he converted this privilege into success in a tough, tough sport. Those of us that have raced know how tough motorcycle racing can be and to succeed in the period he did, when many of the GP circuits were 'TT like' says it all. He could win on any machine. It must also be remembered he was successful in car racing too (Le Mans podium finisher, European F2 Champion) and was awarded the George Medal for his selfless bravery saving Clay Regazzoni at the 1973 South African Grand Prix during his car racing years. Remember also his TT comeback....what can you say? I don't wish to belittle anyone but what a man!!!

I think Mike and Joey had a lot in common, although they could not have come from more different beginnings. Both had a tremendous "will to win", both let the results do the talking and neither went out of their way to make themselves popular, yet their fans adored them. (It always amused me to see Joey ride back to the winners enclosure poker faced and almost embarrassed by the attention he got). Both also had the ability to win on all capacities of machine.
26-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Your right A10 the way they jumped from one machine to another always amazed me , I only ever saw Mike the Bike once but it left a lifelong admiration of the man that ended up costing me a fortune following motorcycling for the rest of my life , how I wish I could shake his hand and say thank you ,

26-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Find Reply