Wrist movement
Aceofspades Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
Wrist movement
Do any of you guy have problems with wrist movement? And if so how does it after your riding racing? Can you still ride well etc

I broke my scpahoid 2 years ago now while racing , and while I race motocross it hasn't been such a major issue for me, I am considering doing my test and getting a road bike. Or maybe just do the odd track day. Any advice would be appreciated, I literally can't bend the right wrist back what so ever

Cheers
14-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Find Reply
NB12 Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Wrist movement
Broke my right wrist in a highside at Knockhill in 09, when the cast came off I was worried about the movement. I was advised to buy a 'powerball' a little ball with a gyroscope inside, you start it with a pull string and keep it going with wrist movement. It helped me regain strength and full movement.

When Toseland packed it in due to losing the movement in his wrist I wondered if he could have used a thumb operated throttle like on a quad bike?.
@neilbrownNB12
14-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
If i've read your post properly and hope that's the case - If you're doing moto-x ok then i'm sure you'll be fine with a road bike.
14-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
A man to have a word with would be Big Mitch from the old site , a great guy has done the Manx with only the use of his right arm , totally different I know but am sure he would be able to give you some good advice , not sure if he has made it over here on to this site ,

14-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
Broke my left scaphoid 1985 racing, I was going into the tyre wall so I stretched my arm out and my wrist went back, in Wigan hospital they had difficulty in spotting it, it was that fine a break yet 30yrs later I still have bouts of pain and times were I cant hold anything in my left hand then I can go for months or a couple of years pain free then all of a sudden watching tv relaxed doing nothing and its back, one year playing golf in the club championship I was four shots in the lead on the 16th hole then my wrist let go and I had to walked in, it very unpredictable and sudden when the pain sets in.
(This post was last modified: 14-12-2014, 11:38 PM by spannerman.)
14-12-2014, 11:37 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
I had a minor op for De Quervains tenosynovitus about 10 years ago. I had to give up riding - bicycles as well as bike - as I couldn't brake safely as my grip was lousy before the op. Since then, I've not had the money to get another bike but my grip, although vastly improved, is not what it was before I developed DQT.

You don't realise how much you do with your hands until they are not working (properly). I still do physio exercises time help with flexibility but it will never be 100% again.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

16-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Find Reply
uncle buck Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
If you can ride MX a road bike will be no problem. I. Broke mine year's ago when racing.it wasn't set properly and did not heal properly.after that when racing at lydden got blow out on the rear,force or trying to keep some form of control broke small bones in the wrist. Anyway after a couple of ops over the years I. Have no movement in wrist but still ride on the road without to many problems. My surgeon who rides a fire blade told me not to ride sports bikes due to too much pressure on my wrist.stick with say an adventure style bike
19-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Find Reply
Aceofspades Offline
Just Getting Started

I'm actually going through putting a thumb operated throttle on my bike now. Not sure how it will work out, but find myself bending my elbow down a awful lot which doesmt help. As said its crazy how you take it for granted until you don't have it, I only thought it was minor at first but it affects you more than you realise.

As for Mitch, what a guy I saw him race at post TT in 2013, a total inspiration to everyone, not just bike racimg too.

Thanks for the reassurance though, hopefully won't affect my riding too much on the road Smile
29-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Find Reply
Aceofspades Offline
Just Getting Started

I know toselamd said he didn't feel like he was in full control, and I'm sure a thumb throttle would help a lot of guys, just not sure whether the rules would allow them too?

Didn't hopkins have similar problems 3 or 4 years ago?
29-12-2014, 12:22 AM
Find Reply