Fairy Bridge
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Fairy Bridge
A man has taken down all the cards and letters and stuff from the Fairy Bridge tree , he did not know who owned the land or any thing and did not know if it was legal to do it but he has , and just because he did not like the look of it ??

hope the Fairy's get him 

14-12-2014, 11:37 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Fairy Bridge
An anonymous man clears out some of the memorabilia that has amassed around the tree at the Fairy Bridge

[Image: fairybridgecleanup1.jpg]

For some, it is a place of interest, something that typifies the quirky Manx obsession with fairy folk and superstition. For others, it’s a place to hang memorials and mementos to sadly missed friends or relatives.

But to one unnamed man, the Fairy Bridge had turned into just an eyesore.

Last week, the man, who wished to remain anonymous, took it upon himself to clear the tree and the Fairy Bridge itself of all the accumulated posters, stickers, trinkets, dolls, messages, badges and the many other memorials.

Although he revealed that it wasn’t a spur-of-the-moment decision, it wasn’t something that was publicised in any way.

I happened to drive past him that morning as he was finishing his quick, covert operation.

Although he was nervous at being caught removing all of the items around the bridge and, as such, was unwilling to give me his name, he revealed he had been considering it for quite some time.

‘I’ve driven past it often, and thought that for a while now it was getting out of hand,’ he said, while climbing on to the bridge and removing a bike helmet from a high branch. ‘I had a day off today, so I thought I’d just come down now and do it quickly.’

He admitted he wasn’t sure if he had the right to clean up the area, but felt that not everyone was comfortable with the state in which the landmark bridge had been left.

‘I don’t know if this is legal or not,’ he said. ‘I don’t even know who owns the land. But I don’t know if it is legal to put this stuff here in the first place. So I think I’m justified in removing it.’

[Image: fairybridgesign.jpg]

The amount of memorabilia has gradually, and visibly, grown over the past few years, and has attracted many memorials to visiting bikers who have been killed or injured over TT Week.

In 2009, Sonya Bowness, who lived at the Fairy Bridge cottage and owned the land on which the items were being left, grew exasperated as the popular tourist spot turned into an eyesore.

However, her plans to have a visitors’ centre and a public access space built on land next to the bridge were denied.

Earlier that year, questions were raise in Tynwald about the safety of the area, with David Callister MLC calling for a letter box to be installed so that letters to the Little People could be handled without the need for notes to be posted on the tree itself.

However, all these plans came to nothing, and the growth of items has continued unchecked.

Among the many items removed were a bike helmet, and an entire bike fairing, dolls, necklaces, wing mirrors, scarves, photographs and written testimonies to lost friends and relatives.

One or two items proved to be just a bit too far out of reach for the vigilante cleaner.

So, for now, Paul Latty’s dog tags remain, as does the memorial to Nigel. Dedications to Tony Morton, killed in 2008, are still there along with the photo of Trev Vilder, immortalised with a pint in his hand, and a padlock hung on the tree in 2007 to ensure Karina and James remain locked in love forever. A red bra continues to hang on a branch and the French flag flies highest of all.

[Image: iomtodaynewlogo.jpg]
Mike Wade
15-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Website Find Reply

I spoke to a family member of the lady that lives in the house and the told me that one of the concerns they had was that a lot of stuff that was left there was not secured well enough and got blown in to surrounding fields creating a potential hazard to cattle and wildlife, and at the busy times of people stopping to look at the stuff and hang new stuff often parked cars and bikes in a way that caused concerns to them of possible accidents and inconvenience of access to their property.

15-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
Discussing, just like taking flowers from a grave!
15-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

Threads: 1
(15-12-2014, 04:30 PM)cpt_pants Wrote: Discussing,  just like taking flowers from a grave!

Bear in mind, it's not the actual grave or spot where people passed away, it's a tribute spot. On the one hand, what harm does it do, but like Ed describes above, apparently it got a bit out of hand for those people on premises. Which on the other hand is not the man clearing it..!! I thought it was a bright sight, but don't have to live near it, nor have cattle suffering from it...
15-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
(14-12-2014, 11:37 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: A man has taken down all the cards and letters and stuff from the Fairy Bridge tree , he did not know who owned the land or any thing and did not know if it was legal to do it but he has , and just because he did not like the look of it ??

hope the Fairy's get him 

The fairies might also be thankfull unless they are pikey fairies.
15-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Find Reply
dave1400 Offline
Banned

Hmm wonder if he,s going t do a sweep with a metal detector in the stream for the coins people have chucked in ? Dodgy
15-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
(15-12-2014, 05:19 PM)Amsterdam Wrote:
(15-12-2014, 04:30 PM)cpt_pants Wrote: Discussing,  just like taking flowers from a grave!

Bear in mind, it's not the actual grave or spot where people passed away, it's a tribute spot. On the one hand, what harm does it do, but like Ed describes above, apparently it got a bit out of hand for those people on premises. Which on the other hand is not the man clearing it..!!  I thought it was a bright sight, but don't have to live near it, nor have cattle suffering from it...
My friend's daughter had a letter and a picture posted there asking the fairies to look after her mum  and to show her their pictures in heaven! 
15-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Find Reply

The Island is all about heritage and tradition , and at times there is a duty on all of use to show respect and to take care that we as visitors don't offend or abuse the areas , and then on the other hand as visitors we expect to be able to see and get involved in the traditions and heritage ,

we as visitors don't go just for the racing we go for the quaintness the magical ness , the horse drawn trams are in danger take them away then before we know it the Steam trains and Electric Ramsey line and what are we left with ?? this time I am one of the don't like change brigade , but I like to think I show respect to the people and their beloved Island
15-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

(15-12-2014, 08:00 PM)cpt_pants Wrote:

Bear in mind, it's not the actual grave or spot where people passed away, it's a tribute spot. On the one hand, what harm does it do, but like Ed describes above, apparently it got a bit out of hand for those people on premises. Which on the other hand is not the man clearing it..!!  I thought it was a bright sight, but don't have to live near it, nor have cattle suffering from it...
My friend's daughter had a letter and a picture posted there asking the fairies to look after her mum  and to show her their pictures in heaven! 

Sorry to hear that, then for her to try and fiend consolace in the fact that it had been sitting there for a while and sure won't have gone unnoticed.
15-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Typical busy body. It had nothing to do with him, but takes it upon himself to 'clear' it up.
What a bundle of joy he must be.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
16-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
I'm probably in a minority here, but last time I went over the bridge at the MGP, I thought it was beginning to look a bit like the local Tip.  Is it really neccessary to leave things such as complete bike fairings etc ?  A few coins thrown in the river is all that is needed, and the place looks a whole lot more magical. Just my view!
16-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Find Reply

They say that about me C Iom, "a right bundle of joy that one" we'll I think it was joy they said lol

16-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21

It's not a "Tribute spot" it's where the fairies and little people live. 
16-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Find Reply

I feel it is a case of taste to me full bike fairings and bash hats are a little ott little notes and bits of ribbon at a push, it is a hard one where do you draw the line.? I don't know, may be put a sign up saying that any thing left there will be cleared once a year and large objects will be removed as soon as, as I have said else where I love going there, there is just something about the place a place to reflect on those we miss and gather our thoughts, the magical ness of the Iom, big greasy bikers talking to the little people the Fairies, where else in the world would you get something like that, and for me that is what makes the Iom the place it is, it's not the time trial it's that Magical Fairy dust, every time I see the Island coming in to view from the decks of the ferry to that disappearing dot on the sky line as you leave as you try and hide that little tear in the corner of your eye,

Is it nearly time to go back yet??

16-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

(16-12-2014, 06:01 PM)dommyman Wrote:

It's not a "Tribute spot" it's where the fairies and little people live. 

...which in my opinion has been created into a tribute spot by people placing cards, trinkets, lights what have you... First time I visited and was driven around by Manx friend, she said, here is the fairy bridge, now make a wish. Nothing really could be seen, except the name as put down by municipality, the sigh shield... This was around year 2001 or 2002 I think...
16-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
Imop.The small things and trinkets and notes have that sort of magic about them it is fairy bridge ! Where fairings and larger objects do not.
Keep it respectful to those that live around there and I think it is OK.
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
17-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
I do agree that some of the items left there are in appropriate, but I do have issues with some do gooder taking it upon himself to 'clean' it up when it has nothing to do with him.
What I do find interesting is why the items are placed there in the first place. The Fairy Bridge has been there for decades, and people have been going there for the same time. It is only in recent years however that most of the items you see now have appeared, so what has changed?
The only thing I can think of is the change of the type of visitor that comes to the TT now since the 'New World Order' (DED) took over in promoting the event.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
17-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Find Reply

Yes the change of people , and is it a change for the better ??

17-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
There is now more acceptance for people to leave tributes - maybe for a loved one - especially since Diana's death whereas before it wasn't really something widely done in British culture. However once a place is recognised as somewhere to leave tributes, then others will follow.

I appreciate there are many nationalities visiting IOM who have their own way of doing things and may well be leaving something in what they believe to be a tradition.

A tradition builds as more people follow it and carry out the act repeatedly. Given the number of tributes on the tree and around Fairy Bridge, you could argue that is it now tradition to leave a tribute. Traditions can start at any time - they do not have to be old.

Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

17-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Find Reply