Jump start
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
Jump start
This is out of interest really . I see on another thread the suggestion of a 5 second start time gap , which made me think what is the penalty for a jump start ?
I assume there is something in place for such an occurrence ?
Has there ever been one ?
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
15-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Website Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
RE: Jump start
An interesting question that, I don't know and can't remember there being one, but I would have thought that as lt is a time trial it would just be a matter of adjusting the time jumped + a penalty time added for the infringement. But as said I do not know how accurate that is, no doubt some one will tell us the official version,

And then there is the question of how this would be a negative against the idea of the 5 sec start gap issue, interesting, good point Kursaal

15-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Find Reply
canamant Offline

Threads: 1
A jump start would be pretty difficult to do.  You have Paul's hand on your shoulder, his voice telling you if you have anything other than a 10 second wait, then THE TAP, the starter waving his flag or the light flashing on in the timekeepers hut.  You could jump it if you tried but you'd have to try hard.
15-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Find Reply
Dougboy
Unregistered

(15-12-2014, 02:55 PM)canamant Wrote: A jump start would be pretty difficult to do.  You have Paul's hand on your shoulder, his voice telling you if you have anything other than a 10 second wait, then THE TAP, the starter waving his flag or the light flashing on in the timekeepers hut.  You could jump it if you tried but you'd have to try hard.

and in a time trial, the impulse to get the advantage into the first corner, just doesn't exist.
15-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Kursaal Flyer Offline

So say I get to the line ready to go at 5 seconds before the off I put it in gear it drags forward so I go , what happens next ?

I will add at this point if I get to the line next year there is nothing wrong with my clutch Dodgy
15-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Website Find Reply
Matjac Offline

Threads: 2
Can you jump start with Transponder times?
15-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Find Reply
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7
(15-12-2014, 08:21 PM)Matjac Wrote: Can you jump start with Transponder times?

Yes and no! Yes you can still jump start, but the way bike grids are done the transponders won't pick it up, it's still done the old fashioned way, using multiple different replay views, or grid marshals watching the start!
With the way the jump start rules are written and the way they start you on the mountain course I think it would be almost impossible to jump the start without some form of penalty!

I'll finish it one day!
16-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
In all the years I have listened to the races on Manx Radio, I can not once recall the commentery team saying that a rider had set off early?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
16-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
I cant remember the year 2004ish a rider set off early, he thought he felt a tap on the shoulder even though the flag did not drop, I am not sure who it was or if he got a penalty.
(This post was last modified: 17-12-2014, 08:48 PM by spannerman.)
17-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
The easiest way of incurring a penalty these days is breaking the pit lane speed limiter beam like Ian Lougher did in the classic.

Kilbil 
21-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

how do all the older bikes get round the pit lane speed limit, just by taking easy ? No pit lane limiters for them Exclamation
21-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Website Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(21-12-2014, 01:22 PM)kilbil Wrote: The easiest way of incurring a penalty these days is breaking the pit lane speed limiter beam like Ian Lougher did in the classic.

Kilbil 

yeah but he still won didnt he
just like chris dixon in the 2013 manx newcomers  won by good margin even with pit lane speed penaly
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
22-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Find Reply
Max Power Offline

Threads: 0
I remember Phil Hogg starting at No2 with whoever his starting partner was, being flagged off too soon by Geoff Duke as I was waiting behind to start the 1988 Manx. caused a bit of a stir further back. They had a bit of a recalculation to do in order to get things back on track!
24-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
(21-12-2014, 09:14 PM)Kursaal Flyer Wrote: how do all the older bikes get round the pit lane speed limit, just by taking easy ? No pit lane limiters for them Exclamation

They will have an idea from certain revs in a certain gear, and during practice they can work this out by doing a ride through and watch the LED speed indicators in pit lane which show their speed.

The boards are also on during the race so you can see your speed as you approach the start of pit lane and also see your speed as you leave, the only problem is if a bunch of riders arrive or leave together it's impossible to know who's speed is being shown.
24-12-2014, 01:05 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I was another rider that fell victim to the pit lane speed limit, dropping me from 7th to 12th in this year's Classic F1, with my ONE minute penalty.
To be fair, I don't disagree with this system, I think it adds to safety.  I came into the pits at 45kph. I left without even thinking about the speed limit!!
In future, my pit crew will be under orders to remind me! Doh!!
24-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Find Reply