Glenn Irwin puts TT plans on hold to focus on world ambition
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Glenn Irwin puts TT plans on hold to focus on world ambition
[Image: girwindundrod150.jpg]
Glenn Irwin (Kawasaki) leads the start of the Supertwins race at the Dunrdod 150.
PICTURE BY STEPHEN DAVISON

Happy-go-lucky British Supersport title prospect Glenn Irwin has shelved plans to make his debut at the Isle of Man TT as he plots a path to world championship competition in 2016.

The Carrick man, who came of age this season as he scooped five victories on his way to fourth place in the British series on the Gearlink Kawasaki, made his road racing bow at the Metzeler Ulster Grand Prix in August and will join team-mate Ben Wilson as the pair make their debuts at the Vauxhall International North West in May.

However, the 24-year-old - who was invited over to the Isle of Man during the Classic TT festival by TT and Motorsport Development Manager Paul Phillips in August - says his current career strategy does not lend itself to a tilt at the infamous Mountain Course in the immediate future.

“The TT is not in the future for me,” said Irwin.

“I went over this year during the Classic TT and the place was spectacular, very different. But with how this season ended and my plans for next year, I’m hopeful my career will go along the world route in 2016 and I’m not sure if a world team would understand about me wanting to compete at the TT.

“That’s why I’m doing the North West 200 now when I have the chance, because if my career goes in the world direction then I might not have the opportunity over the next few years.

“I can go to the North West next year and hopefully be competitive straight off because it’s mostly just a few straights and chicanes,”
he added.

“But it’s different at the TT; the event is a time trial, which I’ve never done before and the circuit would take time to learn, so right now it’s out of the ballpark.”

Irwin opted to remain in the Supersport class for 2015 with Gearlink Kawasaki but admitted it wasn’t an easy decision to make.

“I gave it a lot of thought. There were Superbike teams in for me and offers in nearly every class, including World Supersport, with some top teams,” he said.

“But I think I owed Gearlink some loyalty. We finished the season strongly and I feel that I need a year of that again to show that I can do it week in, week out for the full season.

“I’m bound to be labelled as one of the favourites to win the championship next year but I’m not worried about pressure - I put myself under enough of that.

“I’ve got my old confidence back from a few years ago and now I need to go and win this championship in 2015 and back up the promise that I’ve shown in the past,”
Irwin said.

“I’m a full-time professional now and I can really focus on the job of challenging for the British title.”

Irwin, meanwhile, is set to confirm his plans this week to run a young rider in the 2015 Irish Supertwin Short Circuit class.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
15-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Website Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
RE: Glenn Irwin puts TT plans on hold to focus on world ambition
i enjoy watching glen irwin race and would love to see him more on the roads
but i think he needs to change his style a bit if he was to race at the tt hes a little too ruff and ready for the tt a smoother more steady riding style is needed to be safe
i look forward to watching him again next year see how far he can progress
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
(This post was last modified: 15-12-2014, 01:56 PM by scaramanga.)
15-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Find Reply