38.64%
17 38.64%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Sanitized
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
RE: Sanitized
(21-12-2014, 11:26 AM)Mountain Man Wrote: We have the thumbs up/thumbs down facility on our local newspaper site (York Press). The facility is somehow abused/manipulated/hacked by some posters, (particularly political viewpoints); which causes it to lack credibility. I'm not saying that this would be the case here, however, just stating that it can, and does occur elsewhere.

I'm not especially for or against bringing such a system in here; however, if it merely becomes a "popularity vote" in favour or otherwise of any particular posters, (regardless of their contribution), then I think you will see a downturn in those wishing to contribute to the discussions.

As for the O.P., I think Malcolm is doing an excellent job moderating the forum - remember at the "other place", there were regular outcries for some moderators to maintain some order, regulate silly postings etc.
I think that was what I was trying to say before I did a Will Self style disspearance up my own derriere (why use one word where ten will do).
Cheers
Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
(This post was last modified: 23-12-2014, 01:14 PM by Sam Pato.)
23-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
just like politics a low turn out ,and then when its too late and they dont like how its gone they will come out mumbling , but hey what a host we have , we are given a chance to vote on things , Long live King Malcolm

26-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Find Reply
dave1400 Offline
Banned

Threads: 1
Yea...............2869 members and only 37 voted, that's enthusiasm for ya !
26-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Find Reply

Yes Dave but I suppose we should follow that by saying how many of that 2869 are active members ,

like on the old site I can't just remember but wasn't it something like 50,000 + ? , but once again how many were active members , actual active regular posters visitors I would have thought you would be lucky if there was more than ??? Oh I don't know but I bet it would make for interesting reading , and highlight the fact that we were no where near the representative % of visitors supporters and riders some would like to think we were, and that is part of why it was so easy to drop us , and why they thought it bad that such a small amount of posters could leave such controversial comments as to their competence at running the TT , Oh god these long dark nights ,

26-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
(26-12-2014, 11:30 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: Yes Dave but I suppose we should follow that by saying how many of that 2869 are active members ,

like on the old site I can't just remember but wasn't it something like 50,000 + ? , but once again how many were active members , actual active regular posters visitors I would have thought you would be lucky if there was more than ???  Oh I don't know but I bet it would make for interesting reading , and highlight the fact that we were no where near the representative % of visitors supporters and riders some would like to think we were,  and that is part of why it was so easy to drop us , and why they thought it bad that such a small amount of posters could leave such controversial comments as to their competence at running the TT , Oh god these long dark nights ,

26-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Just my opinion but if DD's very very obvious intellect and banal "banter" is a highlight or to be looked forward to then I think you're missing much of the point of TT Racing. Difference of opinion is one thing .. setting out to deliberately wind people up and then play the go-to last resort "banter" card is at the other far end of the spectrum. Unless anybody has an explanation for the jollies and pleasures gained from doing so ?.
26-12-2014, 11:53 PM
Find Reply

Oh no Alf I do not think for one moment that the stuff that DD came out with had any influence on the longevity of the Old Forum , lets face it he had not been on for some time , no I think the more factual critically accurate posts are what hurt them , and just look at the site now and who is going to be the winners ? the likes of Regency Travel because any one that has no previous idea of the Island and goes on the site now is only offered the official EXPENCIVE way of doing things

MONEY MONEY MONEY

27-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

(27-12-2014, 12:01 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: Oh no Alf I do not think for one moment that the stuff that DD came out with had any influence on the longevity of the Old Forum , lets face it he had not been on for some time , no I think the more factual critically accurate posts are what hurt them   , and just look at the site now and who is going to be the winners ? the likes of Regency Travel because any one that has no previous idea of the Island and goes on the site now is only offered the official EXPENCIVE way of doing things

MONEY MONEY MONEY

Sorry Ed, nothing personal, I didn't mean to quote or single you out there with the quote, me and my fat fingers are still getting the hang of this site's system. I was just making an observation that the large majority of DD's "input" wasn't exactly the most inspiring, enlightening or relative.
27-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Find Reply

No problem Alf , I personally was not bothered about DD and I don't think many took him at all seriously , I think most took him with a pinch of salt , for at times he could be quiet funny and sometimes quite  knowledgeable , but ok there were times that he did winde some people up but thats life ,
I think there are more than one or two that find me , what shall  we say ? not someone they would add to their best friends list , too opinionated and stubborn big mouthed  and many other things we wont go into  very few of which could be classed as slanderous ( it can only be classed as Slanderous if it's not true ) lol  

so as long as Malcolm doesn't get sick of me you are stuck with me , tough ,   ha ha ha ha ,

27-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 7
I just think that most people are like myself.Read the forum to keep in touch with what's going on,without getting too involved in the "politics" 
27-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Find Reply

Yes and that is fine and you are far from being on your own, I just think that it would just be a way of sometimes showing your approval or otherwise on a subject by simply ticking a box anonymously that way contributing without having to go to the extreme of actually posting , that lets face it many are too shy or frightened of ridicule if they get it wrong or what ever but there you go , it is all down to the anonymous vote that we are privileged to be able to participate in
27-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
(27-12-2014, 07:29 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: Yes and that is fine and you are far from being on your own, I just think that it would  just be a way of sometimes showing your approval or otherwise on a subject by simply ticking a box anonymously that way contributing without having to go to the extreme of actually posting , that lets face it many are too shy or frightened of ridicule if they get it wrong or what ever  but there you go , it is all down to the anonymous vote that we are  privileged to be able to participate in
It's quite noticable that a large percentage of contributors are names from the "Other" site. 
28-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Find Reply

Yes Dommy , but if you look at when they joined ,
some had been here a long time before we came crashing in ,

28-12-2014, 01:28 AM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Fair point Eddie.If Malcolm decides to include the tick box option,I'd probably use it.
28-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Find Reply

Be care full Eric agreeing with me , it will do your street cred no good at all , you could be thrown in the stocks and flogged ' lol

(This post was last modified: 28-12-2014, 11:29 AM by Steady the Edward.)
28-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Don't think I've much street cred left.Everbody else goes to Tenerife or similar for their holidays.I go to the MGP every year and spend most of the time wondering if the tents going to blow away, and spending a fortune.I think that's considered to be a bit weird.
28-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Find Reply
dave1400 Offline
Banned

Threads: 1
Heres a thought...............if at the end of the poll the " Yea,s "  and the " Nays " are neck and neck, do the " Not Bovverds " get added to one or the other to cast the vote ?   smilie
28-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Poll Results

The Poll that I loaded onto the site last week has now run its course and the results show that:-

The overall number of registrants (new and old included), who voted was very low, and the final figures were all very close.

a) - Those in favour of a Posting Rating facility were - 29.55%

b) - Those in favour of NOT having a Posting Rating facility were - 31.82%

c) - Those who weren't bothered, one way or the other were - 38.64%

The outcome of the Poll therefore, taking into account the following:-

Those in favour of a Posting Rating facility were in the minority,

There is already a REPORT facility on the Forums for people to use if they find a posting to be unacceptable and/or non-relevant.

Registered members of the Forums already have the facility to make contact with myself to make their own anonymous comments regarding any posting that is made on the forums.

The site is monitored and administered more or less continuously with every posting being viewed and considered "fit for purpose" or otherwise.

I am not going to introduce a Posting Rating facility, as this in my opinion could only possibly lead to further issues of divergence and contradiction. ( I get enough of that already).

Malcolm.

smilie
28-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Its a shame that only 44 member chose to vote, but it is a quite time of the year, so there it is!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
28-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Find Reply

(28-12-2014, 01:10 PM)c iom tt Wrote: Its a shame that only 44 member chose to vote, but it is a quite time of the year, so there it is!

Yes I feel it is a shame , I think that many were reading more in to it than was there , seeing opportunities for abuse and disagreements that , I don't see , as long as it was anonimas one tick per member where would the abuse have come from , I think it was just a way of encourage involvement by people that do not like posting but none the less have an opinion , but there we go at least we had the opportunity to be involved with decision in a democratic way , thank you Malcolm for that opportunity not many forums would give its members the chance    

28-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Find Reply