17 38.64%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Sanitized
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
RE: Sanitized
(28-12-2014, 01:28 AM)Steady the Edward Wrote: Yes Dommy , but if you look at when they joined ,
some had been here a long time before we came crashing in ,

What I also noticed when I first joined this site, was the very low number of replys to most threads.
Agreed some people subscribed to both sites, but there are quite a number who joined recently.
It's good to see most threads now attract interest and receive replys.
28-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
What would be interesting to know is how many of the 2800 and what ever it was members actually log in on a regular more than once a week basis, and then what actual %of those actually post more than once in a blue millennium , but fair does there was a good response from the don't care department, begging the question why do we bother?
But is it they don't care till they have lost some thing , then it's every one else's fault , what's the word I am looking for?? Oh ye APATHY. That's the one

(This post was last modified: 28-12-2014, 04:44 PM by Steady the Edward.)
28-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
(28-12-2014, 04:43 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: What would be interesting to know is how many of the 2800 and what ever it was members actually log in on a regular more than once a week basis,  and then what actual %of those actually post more than once in a blue millennium , but fair does there was a good response from the don't care department,  begging the question why do we bother?  
But is it they don't care till they have lost some thing ,  then it's every one else's fault  , what's the word I am looking for?? Oh ye APATHY.  That's the one

I don't think we should be able to say we don't like a new thread.  If somebody new, tries posting, and was to get a few dislikes, I feel it could deter them from future postings. You should be able to tell by the number of replies, what people think.
28-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
I just thought that the simplicity of anonymously click and gone it could have tempted more participation that was all, but its irelevent now as the opportunity is gone , but as said before at least we did have the vote even if ( dont look Malcolm ) what a spineless bunch of apathetic don't care layabouts we knock about with ha ha ha ha , says he with tongue in cheek laughing his head off ,as he sits back waiting for fingers to hit keyboards lol

No anonymous click and gone here

(This post was last modified: 28-12-2014, 06:57 PM by Steady the Edward.)
28-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Find Reply
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
(19-12-2014, 12:06 AM)Hammy Wrote: Athough I originally welcomed a new TT forum after the old forum closed down I am now disenchanted with this forum. There is no longer any "banter" , immediately the heavy hand of Malcolm comes down and there is no TT news that is not copied from other sites. Although the other site could sometimes be "abrasive" (Douglas Dan, where are you ?), at least it had a beating heart and not a forum on life support. So bye and will be in the hedges in June.

I am now beginning to agree. The site is fantastic for news and updates but seems to lack a bit of soul, and personality. I agree that the old site was a bit unruly, but this one at times seems to be under the control of North Korea.

There were a few posts in the thread intimating the same, but thought the banter would pick up. Well the bikes are out of the garages, the teams have started racing and no sign of the banter yet. I hope it is not going to be the same until May then a load of threads about how excited everyone is about getting to the Island, a great fortnight of posts and threads, then nothing.

Or is it just me?
16-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Find Reply
jimmy182 Offline

Threads: 0
No its not just you every thread seems to be brought under control at the slightest sight of a repeat post or an opinion on anything/anyone that the mod/mods don't agree with. I've never heard or known of a forum of any type being brought to justice for a libel or slander claim. I'm sure if there was anywhere else to go a lot of people would of left already.

For your information:

I have already received communication regarding potentially libelous statements being made by people on this Forum since it opened up to receive all those who have moved across from iomtt.com

Never in the previous 15 years of operation have I ever received such correspondence. What does that tell you ?

Further, It is myself as owner and Administrator of the Forum  who is ultimately held legally responsible for permitting potentially libelous statements to be aired and viewed in the public domain, and that is never going to happen.

Refer to this recently published press item:-

The owners of Blackpool Football Club are suing a web forum for libel in the latest of a series of actions against fans making derogatory comments online

Is that sufficient proof for you ?

Or Perhaps 

Please be aware of the following

Telecommunications Act 1984 (c. 12) 

Part II Provision of Telecommunication Services

(1) A person who—

(a) ~ sends, by means of a public telecommunication system, a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character;

or

(b) ~ sends by those means, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, a message that he knows to be false or persistently makes use for that purpose of a public telecommunication system,

shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both.

Read the Legislation HERE

The above which is listed within the T&C's of this Forum and of which everyone who signed up to use this Forum should have read before using the Forum.

My closing comment to those who dislike the manner in which I moderate this FREE Forum, and much as I regret to say this:  

Please go and find yourself another Forum that suits your needs and requirements, and one that will be prepared to stand the cost of all judicial actions and repercussions taken against that Website/Forum for permitting libelous posts and comments to be viewed in the public domain.

Someone remaked in a previous post this morning, that I was somewhat tetchy over this matter. You better bloody believe that I am.

Malcolm.

A Further Internet search has returned this:-

On the web, the writer, the web site owner and the ISP can all be sued just like the writer, the magazine and the distributor in the print field.

A link could also be potentially defamatory if you are linking to defamatory material.

(This post was last modified: 16-03-2015, 08:41 PM by Malcolm.)
16-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

I don't think there's any heavy handedness about it, if people are making statements - even if unintentional - which could be considered libelous then Malcolm has to take action, to protect the website(which he has obviously put a lot of work into) and himself. It's all in the T&C's and what people need to realise is that not all forums are the same, something you did on one forum might not be tolerated on another.

I used to post on a boxing forum which got shutdown and admin threatened with court because of libelous statements made against a very well known and powerful boxing promoter, so you have to be very careful. What happens if the same happens here? Another TT/Road racing forum gone from the net and a lot of Malcolms hard work ruined just because people couldn't be bothered to follow the rules.
16-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Threads: 4
I think it,s vetted ok,to me it allways was for the proper ,long term fan,rather than the exciteable here today gone tomorrow type,some of whom loved and took pleasure in aggravating people,behind their sign in names. My sign in name is my name,nowt to hide behind,but i do like a bit fun now and again,and i for one DO miss duggy dan,he or she,i wonder,also liked a bit of fun and could easily wind folkes up,BUT was never offensive. The way it should be. I look in every day,and like the way it,s run.
16-03-2015, 03:41 PM
Find Reply
studiosoft Offline

Threads: 1
As a forum operator myself I would like to support the Malcolm's statement.
Most of the people who use the forums which I am involved with are responsible adults who indulge in deep and meaningful discussion in addition to banter which can sometimes get near the knuckle. These discussions are only spoilt by the occasional 'idiot' (insert your own phrase) who lacks the imagination to discuss a topic in an acceptable manner and resorts to personal insult out of sheer frustration. The more responsible members are usually quick to report such behaviour and offensive posts are automatically removed from view if they are flagged a certain number of times.
I am going to remain open minded about this forum until after this years TT and then decide whether to continue calling in. I will not be able to make it to the TT this year so I will be reliant on the forum, Manx Radio and hopefully ITV4's coverage of the event, for my TT fix.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am going as fast as I want.
16-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Website Find Reply
Dougboy
Unregistered

To be honest, I had high hopes when I moved over here and was grateful for the opportunity, but I'm becoming increasingly disenchanted.
I've had my posts edited by the moderator simply because my point of view didn't accord with his (and this was the contentious but only slightly controversial view that there is only 1 lap record) - heavy handed in my view.
I certainly don't want to go back to the days of wind-up merchants like DD ruining the site or threats of physical violence that benighted the other place, but I do want to be able to discuss, debate, argue and learn in a lively and robust manner.
The other problem is the simple lack of traffic - a thread called 'Privatising the TT' gets 5 responses and then dies??
Here's hoping that things pick up, but it ain't that far away now.
Regards all
Doug

If the Forum is not to you lliking, then feel free to LEAVE.

Malcolm
(This post was last modified: 16-03-2015, 06:27 PM by Malcolm.)
16-03-2015, 05:20 PM
cpt_pants Offline
Banned

My issue is not with ensuring that libellous posts are moved, I full understand the need and reason to do so. But as I stated earlier it now seem soulless, I don’t know if posters are scared to post, or whether they have been removed.  Most of the threads are started by Malcolm and do not get many posts, but I suppose that it is Malcolm’s train set and he can play with it how he likes.

The greater majority of the posts that I make (probably about 95% of them), contain items of information related to the sport. 

I very rarely ever become involved in the exchange of general "banter" and leave that up to those that wish to do so.

If you see any posts that I make that are not related to General Information, they are 99% of the time related to the Administration of the Forum.

Why would people be scared to post ? If they have read the T&C's and have understood what that contains, then any post that they make would of course be perfectly acceptable. 

Malcolm.
(This post was last modified: 16-03-2015, 06:03 PM by Malcolm.)
16-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Find Reply
roger9650 Offline

The forum isn't sanitized, just grown up.  There may a place for a modest amount of banter but not the kind of playground rubbish that appeared with Douglas Dan etc.  It might have resulted in lots of posts but if that's what you need surely Twitter/Facebook is the place to waste time.
16-03-2015, 05:44 PM
Find Reply
jimmy182 Offline

I agree with doughboy and cpt_pants especially the train set comment.

Well Jimmy,

If you board the wrong train, it is a waste of time running along the corridor in the other direction.

Far better to get off and head off in the direction you want to go.
(This post was last modified: 16-03-2015, 09:05 PM by Malcolm.)
16-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
I see no issues to be honest.
Its no different than joining a club of some kind and having to obey there rules. If you dont like it you leave and join another club.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
16-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Find Reply
jimmy182 Offline

That's the point. There is no other "club" and if everyone leaves what are YOU left with ? Malcolm posting copy and pasted text from other sources. At least if he loosened the reigns a bit people could debate like grown men. Don't forget for most of us this is a life long passion that we believe strongly and PASSIONATELY about. And like to have a bloody good debate about. No one is going to agree with everyone all of the time but you can't just delete or edit posts because then the whole thread becomes unreadable.

If you don't like how I moderate the Forum, then LEAVE.

Malcolm.
(This post was last modified: 16-03-2015, 06:26 PM by Malcolm.)
16-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
(16-03-2015, 05:59 PM)jimmy182 Wrote: That's the point. There is no other "club" and if everyone leaves what are YOU left with ? Malcolm posting copy and pasted text from other sources. At least if he loosened the reigns a bit people could debate like grown men. Don't forget for most of us this is a life long passion that we believe strongly and PASSIONATELY about. And like to have a bloody good debate about. No one is going to agree with everyone all of the time but you can't just delete or edit posts because then the whole thread becomes unreadable.

Its not Malcolms fault there are no other 'clubs'
You could always vent your frustration at the DED for closing down the other 'club'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
16-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Find Reply
roger9650 Offline

It might be stating the obvious but this site has been around for a long time and it seems reasonable for anyone who joins to accept the way it, is and not try and clone the other site.  If it's not what you want...............
16-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
I am tired of all this rubbish, and if it continues, then I am going to close these Forums down.

When you come onto this Forum, you are required to comply with the T&C's that you should have all read before making your first post.

If that is not to your liking then may I suggest that you please go and set up your own Forum, as I am not changing my T&C's to suit your wishes.

When you have your own Forum you can dictate your own rules and how your own Forum operates.

End of Story.

Malcolm.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 17-03-2015, 02:50 PM by Malcolm.)
16-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Website Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
Afternoon all,
Yes its quiet here at the moment,
Why ?
Season hasn't started yet, so there's nothing really to get chatting about on the racing front is there !
Malcolm has been posting all the press posts as he gets them,

But without the input from others here to get a topic going, He is going to struggle,
I have tried to get some posts going, and think they have gone down ok ?
But without Sensible conversation, like many other forums on what ever subject they dont stand a chance,
So its down to the Users of this site, to get there Thinking caps on !
Start a New Thread off about something to do with the TT, or on one of the Sub forums,
Dont just sit there, going this is rubbish,,, (Sorry Malcolm )
Get off your backsides and do something !!
And not just sit back and make replies to something when you feel like it,
Think somebody once said ?
That to make a Comment about something, you have either done it, or wished you had, and that wish is still there, So you will extol your enthusiasm into making somebody else do something that you haven't managed to do !

Dont forget, that Malcolm runs this all on his own with a little help from some long standing people that have been here from the beginning,
Unlike the old site on the Dark side,
And as such, he has his own life to lead, not just sat here 24/7,
But i understand why he wont tolerate the abuse that went on on the other site,
So Everybody,
Respect his wish,s about the T&C,s
Dont worry, i had my post deleted the other day,, lol
So he is damm fair with what he does !!

Benjies Dad
16-03-2015, 06:31 PM
Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

Threads: 4
lets all remember that it is Malcolm's butt that is on the line here and no he does not want to be sued through some clowns derogatory comments smilie

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
16-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Find Reply