DVLA set date for scrapping paper licence
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
DVLA set date for scrapping paper licence
[Image: licencepart1.jpg]

Do you know where the paper part of your driving licence is?

Well, soon it won’t matter as the DVLA has now set a date for their abolition.  

From June 8 2015, the paper counterpart licences will no longer be valid and the authorities will cease to issue any more.

The counterpart is currently used to keep a record of motoring convictions such as speeding. When you’re required to provide proof of licence, such as on track days, both parts of the licence are required. From June next year, the paper part will be ditched in favour of an online database much like the one now used for Vehicle Excise Duty (more commonly known as road tax).

The DVLA announced they’d be scrapping the paper counterparts back in July with many assuming the change would come into effect from 01 January 2015.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR ME?

Photocard Driving Licence Holders

You will need to destroy your paper counterpart after June 8th 2015, although there’s probably nothing wrong with keeping hold of it as it can still be used to change the address on your licence. From this date your photocard will be the only valid part of your licence so it is important to keep this.

Paper Driving Licence Holders (those issued before 1998)

If you have a paper driving licence only (issued before 1998), you should keep hold of this as it will remain valid. However endorsements and penalty points will no longer be recorded on these licences from 8th June 2015 as the information will, as with photocard licence holders, be stored online.

The next time you need to renew or change your licence, you’ll be issued with a photocard only.

You can view a 'Beta test' version of the online database and check your details HERE

The full version of the site will launch closer to the abolition date next year.
23-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Website Find Reply
desmophile Offline

Threads: 1
RE: DVLA set date for scrapping paper licence
Apologies for that, didn't mean to quote.

Just meant to say 'about time too'

No problem, just sorted that for you.

Malcolm.
(This post was last modified: 23-12-2014, 09:37 PM by Malcolm.)
23-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
Nothing been mentioned about the IoM dropping them - or paper tax discs
23-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 393

"If you have a paper driving licence only (issued before 1998
)"

Oh Heck!!!
Mine was issued in 1999!
I think circumstances will force everyone to 'convert' to photo licences eventually, I sometimes have a problem with I.D., some places only accept a photo licence.
Like when I got to the pub! Ho Ho! Icon_biggrin
24-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Website Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
Captain. I think mine was issued in 1980 when I moved to my current house . Even when I had my R6 on the road which I used to most of its potential I somehow managed to keep it clean.
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
24-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Website Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
always thought it was a stupid idea
thats 1 of the main reasons ive still got a old paper licence no photo card for me
it was funny a couple of weeks ago when i got pulled over the young know it all child pc couldnt read my old style licence he had never seen 1 before
the other officer that was with him was having a good laugh at him and actualty said that will teach you for being a clever c##t
i too have problems sometimes with id as i dont have a passport or photo licence but i do have a photcard for operating machinery at work so sometimes they accept that
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
25-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Find Reply