Rain lights for Solo Road Race machines
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Rain lights for Solo Road Race machines
For Those That Missed It.

For 2015 Red Rear Warning Lights will be a requirement for solo road race machines.
Classic and Vintage machines racing exclusively in their own races or events are exempt. 

The requirements for these lights are as follows,

All motorcycles must have a functioning red light mounted at the rear of the machine to be used in rain or low visibility conditions as instructed by Race Control. The team must ensure that the light is switched on whenever a rain tyre is fitted on the motorcycle and/or when any practice or race is declared “wet” by Race Control.

Lights must comply with the following:

a) lighting direction must be parallel to the machine centre line (motorcycle running direction), and clearly visible from the rear at least 15 degrees to both left and right sides of the machine centre line.  

b) mounted on the seat/rear bodywork approximately on the machine centre line, in a position approved by the Chief Technical Officer. In case of dispute over the mounting position or visibility, the decision of the Chief Technical Officer will be final.  

c) power output/luminosity equivalent to approximately: 10 – 15W (incandescent) 0.6 – 1.8 W (LED).  

d) the switch must be accessible.  

e) rain light power supply may be separated from the motorcycle main wiring and battery.
30-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Website Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
RE: Rain lights for Solo Road Race machines
they were using them at BSB last season
31-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
But we dont race in the rain or poor visibility anymore?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
01-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
They might not start a race in rain or poor visibilty but with the Isle of Man weather you can never be sure there isn't either before the end of the race.
Sometimes at the Manx practice sessions I think it is getting close to the point where they need headlights never mind rear red lights!!!!
01-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Very true. I think the point I was making was them saying they must be switched on when the race is declared wet when there will never be another wet race.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
01-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
It can be set off knowing there is a visibility issue somewhere on the circuit with fog , and is this not a blanket ACU rule for all road racing , there for covering short circuit racing , where you do get wet races ??
01-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

All my comments are ref the TT.
It was my understanding that they were never going to start a race again when it is raining, or where the visability is poor, so other that it starting to rain or mist, fog coming down after the race has started, they wont be needed as the race is never going to be declared wet ever again.

01-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Find Reply
canamant Offline

Threads: 1
This is for all tarmac racing, not just the TT or MGP.
08-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I found them useful when catching slower riders in places like Glen Helen during evening practice, so I'm ok with this ruling.
09-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Find Reply