Fire proof pit overalls specification
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
Fire proof pit overalls specification
Where can I find more information about specs for the pit attendants fire suits . Looked about and found nothing . 
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
20-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Fire proof pit overalls specification
Here is a list of potential suppliers for you to look at.

Top of the range type - HERE

More Expensive Type - HERE

A Range of cheaper products - HERE

Dickies Products -HERE

The only comments I can find in last years regs are:-

Fire retardant overalls must be worn by all personnel in Pit Lane and this rule will be strictly enforced. Anyone involved in the refuelling of machines in the Parc Ferme area must also wear fire retardant overalls.

Footwear worn by Race Mechanic pass holders must adequately protect the foot and not contain any studs, steel tips or anything likely to cause a spark.

Team Managers and Attendants must wear fire retardant overalls and suitable footwear at all times in the pit lane. Footwear worn by Team Managers and Attendants must not have any studs, steel tips etc.

Malcolm
(This post was last modified: 20-01-2015, 01:20 PM by Malcolm.)
20-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Website Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Malcolm.
Thanks for that , but what I was after more was the organisers/ACU specification sheet , I do not want to kit my crew out and then find what they are wearing is not acceptable.
After the pit lane incidents the other year I thought they had tightened what was OK to use.
Or are the items on the links you have put up alright ?

A bit more searching I found this in the 2015 TT regulations I assume the Classic/Manx will be covered by the same set of rules.

Each competitor is permitted up to three Attendants. Bona fide Team Managers who are representatives of licensed entrants and who are attending more than one rider will, on application to the Clerk of the Course, be given an additional pass to enable them to attend more than one pit in addition to the three Attendants working in each of those pits.

Team Managers and Attendants must wear the following Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):

The attendant responsible for refuelling must wear a suit that meets the higher standard of SFI 3.2A/5 / FIA 8856-2000. The overalls must have collars, ankle and wrist cuffs and be zip up not pop stud. The attendant responsible for refuelling must wear a double layered fireproof balaclava and fireproof gloves while refuelling.

Other members of the Pit Crew must wear a suit that meets the standard of EN 531/533 / NFPA 2112. They must also wear a fireproof balaclava.

Balaclava. The Balaclava must be a double layer FIA approved Balaclava

Gloves. Must be FIA approved to standard SFI 3.2A/5 / FIA 8856-2000

Suitable footwear must be worn at all times in the pit lane. Footwear worn by Team Managers and Attendants must not have any studs, steel tips etc. All Team Managers and Attendants must remain in the pit allotted to them, except when their competitor is at the pit, when Attendants may assist or carry out replacements and repairs, only using the spares previously deposited in the pit. Wheels fitted with tyres may be brought into the pit during a race. The PPE outlined above must be worn fully by the Team Manager/Pit Attendants whilst their rider is stationary in the allotted pit area.
Self-contained remote starters for the Superbike and Senior TT races will be permitted, provided applications are made to the Clerk of the
(This post was last modified: 20-01-2015, 01:46 PM by Kursaal Flyer.)
20-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Website Find Reply
ace Offline

Threads: 4
Check out TT2015 regulations . on the iomtt site, under 2015, then Competitor.

The rules are slightly different from the 2014 Manx GP.

Hope this helps!
20-01-2015, 01:49 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

If  were you, I would get in touch with Caroline Etherington or Ann Kinvig at the MMCC office in order to have 100% clarification:

Tel : 00 44 (0)1624 644 649
Fax: 00 44 (0)1624 620 174
E:mail: ann@mgp.co.im

Malcolm
20-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Website Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Cheers Malcolm E mail sent.
20-01-2015, 05:13 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Hi KF,

Here is what I have just received, straight from the "People who matter".

Page 22 and 23 of the TT Regs – extract given below……………

i) Conditions

The TT Pit Lane is a Licenced Petroleum Storage Area under the Isle of Man “Dangerous Goods Act” and as such the following conditions apply:

a) There must be NO SMOKING or naked lights. Engines must be stopped whilst the machine is being refuelled. Any electrical equipment used or taken within 14ft of refuelling equipment must be either intrinsically safe or flame proofed. This includes power tools, two-way radios, transistor radios, cameras etc. Spare batteries must be protected.

b) Petrol cans used for filling and draining must be metal or BSI approved.

c) Filling or refuelling of tanks must not commence until an announcement is made from Race Control. It must be completed no later than thirty minutes before the start time. Fire retardant overalls must be worn when filling or refuelling tanks.

d) When refuelling tanks are being filled or drained, only those persons immediately involved and race officials are permitted in the pit area.

e) Refuelling tanks must be drained when the pit lane is closed towards the end of the race. Fire retardant overalls must be worn when draining tanks. Important Note: Refuelling of tanks must not take place once the race has started. Pit Crews need to ensure that Tanks have enough fuel to complete two pit stops (Superbike and Senior Race).

f) When a competitor vacates his pit he must not carry unused fuel or empty drums that have contained fuel beneath the Grandstand.

g) The refuelling equipment supplied by the Organisers must be used and must not be modified. All filler nozzles will be to unleaded specification

ii) Attendants

Each competitor is permitted up to three Attendants. Bona fide Team Managers who are representatives of licensed entrants and who are attending more than one rider will, on application to the Clerk of the Course, be given an additional pass to enable them to attend more than one pit in addition to the three Attendants working in each of those pits.

Team Managers and Attendants must wear the following Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):

The attendant responsible for refuelling must wear a suit that meets the higher standard of SFI 3.2A/5 / FIA 8856-2000. The overalls must have collars, ankle and wrist cuffs and be zip up not pop stud. The attendant responsible for refuelling must wear a double layered fireproof balaclava and fireproof gloves while refuelling.

Other members of the Pit Crew must wear a suit that meets the standard of EN 531/533 / NFPA 2112. They must also wear a fireproof balaclava.

Balaclava. The Balaclava must be a double layer FIA approved Balaclava

Gloves. Must be FIA approved to standard SFI 3.2A/5 / FIA 8856-2000

Suitable footwear must be worn at all times in the pit lane. Footwear worn by Team Managers and Attendants must not have any studs, steel tips etc. All Team Managers and Attendants must remain in the pit allotted to them, except when their competitor is at the pit, when Attendants may assist or carry out replacements and repairs, only using the spares previously deposited in the pit. Wheels fitted with tyres may be brought into the pit during a race. The PPE outlined above must be worn fully by the Team Manager/Pit Attendants whilst their rider is stationary in the allotted pit area.
30-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Website Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Thanks Malcolm.
Now suppliers and people in the know is anybody out there offering a special deal for riders if a few of us head to the same supplier ?
There must be someone out there who can help out and do this stuff close to cost .
(This post was last modified: 31-01-2015, 09:29 AM by Kursaal Flyer.)
31-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Website Find Reply
AOMR Racing Offline

I have a size 48 EN533 suit for sale used once at last years Classic TT. In black with yellow bands around arms and legs. Obviously perfect condition.

£75 posted to UK

aomr_racing@aol.com
01-02-2015, 11:53 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

(01-02-2015, 11:53 PM)AOMR Racing Wrote: I have a size 48 EN533 suit for sale used once at last years Classic TT. In black with yellow bands around arms and legs. Obviously perfect condition.

£75 posted to UK

aomr_racing@aol.com
Hi where did you buy your suits the size you have is not suitable for my assistant .
02-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Website Find Reply
AOMR Racing Offline

Search AWS Racewear UK
02-02-2015, 11:57 PM
Find Reply
full-chat Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
hi all,re these fire retardant overalls for pit crew ,i was the refueler at last years MGP and had to have the specified suit,but this year the powers that be once again have gone completely over the top on the spec for refuelers, this SFI3.2A/5  is virtualy F1 standard! and people like Demon tweeks dont seem to stock them, the one they do stock which is advised for refuelers is SFI3.2A/1 surely these would be adequate! and much less expensive.
Also as  the rider sits on the bike whilst refueling wearing only one piece leathers would they be also suitable for the refueler?to wear as the risk element seems the same?
also what about marshalls/and medics clothing as they are all potentially at risk if dealing with a crashed burning bike !perhaps they should also be given  SFI3.2A/5 overalls!!
15-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

(15-02-2015, 07:37 PM)full-chat Wrote: hi all,re these fire retardant overalls for pit crew ,i was the refueler at last years MGP and had to have the specified suit,but this year the powers that be once again have gone completely over the top on the spec for refuelers, this SFI3.2A/5  is virtualy F1 standard! and people like Demon tweeks dont seem to stock them, the one they do stock which is advised for refuelers is SFI3.2A/1 surely these would be adequate! and much less expensive.
Also as  the rider sits on the bike whilst refueling wearing only one piece leathers would they be also suitable for the refueler?to wear as the risk element seems the same?
also what about marshalls/and medics clothing as they are all potentially at risk if dealing with a crashed burning bike !perhaps they should also be given  SFI3.2A/5 overalls!!
Full-chat . Hi I agree with what you are saying the reaction to the fire in the pits is extreme to say the least . The level required for the fueler is top spec and because they have chosen to use a race spec suit it naturally adds to the price because of its original intended use. I think at last years Manx they made a special dispensation because of how late and close to the meeting they introduced the ruling about fire retardant clothing but this year everybody has to conform .
What gloves did you wear last year , the specs for this year are racing fireproof gloves and they are kin expensive as well . 
I think the whole lot for my pit crew is going to cost more than my race entry ? If my bike could do four laps on a tank I would not stop !!

IS THERE NO SUPPLY COMPANY OUT THERE THAT CAN SUPPLY WHAT WE ALL NEED AT A NICE CHEAP PRICE AND OUR PIT CREW CARRY ADVERTISING IN RETURN Icon_cool
16-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Website Find Reply
full-chat Offline
Just Getting Started

(16-02-2015, 10:42 AM)Kursaal Flyer Wrote:
(15-02-2015, 07:37 PM)full-chat Wrote: hi all,re these fire retardant overalls for pit crew ,i was the refueler at last years MGP and had to have the specified suit,but this year the powers that be once again have gone completely over the top on the spec for refuelers, this SFI3.2A/5  is virtualy F1 standard! and people like Demon tweeks dont seem to stock them, the one they do stock which is advised for refuelers is SFI3.2A/1 surely these would be adequate! and much less expensive.
Full-chat . Hi I agree with what you are saying the reaction to the fire in the pits is extreme to say the least . The level required for the fueler is top spec and because they have chosen to use a race spec suit it naturally adds to the price because of its original intended use. I think at last years Manx they made a special dispensation because of how late and close to the meeting they introduced the ruling about fire retardant clothing but this year everybody has to conform .
What gloves did you wear last year , the specs for this year are racing fireproof gloves and they are kin expensive as well . 
I think the whole lot for my pit crew is going to cost more than my race entry ? If my bike could do four laps on a tank I would not stop !!

IS THERE NO SUPPLY COMPANY OUT THERE THAT CAN SUPPLY WHAT WE ALL NEED AT A NICE CHEAP PRICE AND OUR PIT CREW CARRY ADVERTISING IN RETURN Icon_cool
hi Kursal flyer i got some OMP Nero gloves from Demon tweeks they were black with a white index finger unfortunately i lost one in parc ferm or paddock, luckily we were not racing on friday or i would have been stuffed  i looked every where for the glove checked out lost property in the race office and the lost property area in parc ferm but to no avail you would have thought the person who picked it up would have handed   it in or hung it on a fence /rail  (this was lost on the  wed)thinking we may need it for fridays race!99.9% of motor cycle enthusiasts would have done so but it was not my luck day,anyway i got another similar pair off ebay with the FIA 8856-2000 stamp on them.re  the overalls may wait to see what turns up on Ebay after the TT.But looks as if this years  MGP is going to be even more expensive.
ps i dont really understand about the four options re subscribing can you enlighten me.
16-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Full chat
Hi you lost me here what or am I being thick what do you mean ? 

you asked : i dont really understand about the four options re subscribing can you enlighten me.
16-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Website Find Reply
full-chat Offline
Just Getting Started

KURSAL FLYER ,thanks i am new to this forum thing and i noticed somewhere near you type in the reply there were 4  options about subscibing to new thread or receiving(or not) emails/pms ,notifications,etc .dosent matter any way you got the reply anyway.
looking forward to this years race, we have a much better bike now, last year was a big learning curve,but we wouldnt have missed it for the world.
16-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Yep, I am looking forward to it too , been waiting far to long for this , I just want to take it all in and enjoy the journey .
16-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Website Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

I need a bit of guidance from a bod. Reading the attendants clothing spec for 2015 would I be correct in thinking that other than the fueler the overalls required for my other helpers would just have to be EN531/533 spec but the collars cuff and ankle spec like the fueler would not be required.

youre thoughts
20-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Website Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Anybody out there got some overalls they want to hire or lend out , I need a full refueler kit for a size 8 girl plus overalls for support crew female size 12 or medium plus a large man set. If anybody can help or know the best place to get this and keep costs down please advise.
Regards Keith. number 74 !
17-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Website Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

I now have had one price to supply everything I need ( new).
this consists of : one refuel suit , two mech suits, three balaclavas, one pair of gloves,

Anybody else offering a deal on this . PM me if you like :

Any help from a supplier with this is appreciated by the rank and file down in the lower levels of the paddock as this is another expensive extra cost we could really do without .  Even finding someone to offer a package deal on the whole set seems to be hard .

Without any shadow of a doubt this will be the most expensive tank of fuel I will have to buy, even if I have to put a whole tank of fuel in I estimate its going to cost in excess of £25.00 a litre Huh Every litre less than a full tank the cost per litre go's up Icon_exclaim
23-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Website Find Reply