TT World Series
panman Offline

Threads: 10
TT World Series
I've just seen this :http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/tt-r...to-launch/

What do people think about it?

My view is that the TT is unique and that this will detract from that, tho I'm sure it will make money for the DED. Also I think I won't be able to affort to go to all the races!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Route 66 Blog: www.thehandys.co.uk/blog 
21-01-2015, 09:48 AM
Website Find Reply
Big thumpa Offline

Threads: 5
RE: TT World Series
I think its great!!! Racing all year round cant be a bad thing

Sucking Rabbits outa Hedges Icon_mrgreen
21-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
(21-01-2015, 09:48 AM)panman Wrote: I've just seen this :http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/tt-r...to-launch/

What do people think about it?

My view is that the TT is unique and that this will detract from that, tho I'm sure it will make money for the DED. Also I think I won't be able to affort to go to all the races!

Be interesting to see what sort of job the new "Promoter" will make of running the 2016 TT ?
21-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
Hmm, well if they can make it work why not?

A bit like WSB, but on roads and possibly more popular, as the interest in WSB has deteriorated since its hay day. May be the roads thing could work, particularly as the manufacturers are trying to sell their products to road users in the end. It would provide full time employment to a lot of guys on and off the track that struggle with the cost of the TT just once a year. Some might say this would actually cost more, but it doesn't in other series, it provides security for the riders, team members and the sponsors buy into a longer contract.

One of the main problems, it would be out of sync with the rest of the motorsport world as the TT is held in June, which is mid season for most and the organisers would want the TT to be the finally. It may be better if the TT wasn't the last meeting but remained mid season even in the TT series.

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
21-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Promoter sought for T.T. and World Series

The Government is looking to appoint an independent promoter to organise and arrange the commercial side of the T.T., Classic T.T. and establish a World series.

London-based The Sports Consultancy was appointed in 2010 to look at the possibility of a T.T. World Series.

They now believe it is viable.

The plan is for the promoter to take over at the end of the 2016 Classic T.T., stage "test" events in other countries and rollout a global series from 2018.

The other rounds will take place over the winter months with the final round being on the Isle of Man.

Matt Wilson from The Sports Consultancy says Tynwald will decide the way forward later this year:-

Expressions of interest from relevant parties need to be in before Saturday 28th February.

Listen To Related Audio Clip

[Image: manxradiomain.gif]
21-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
The word 'privatisation' may be of some concern.
Will the TT trophys remain the property of the Isle Of Man Goverment, or be transfered as an asset to the new promoter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
21-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
Well I'm of the opinion more road racing is a good thing BUT how many regular TT competitors will have the budget to compete in the southern hemisphere, a lot struggle to compete just in the UK and Ireland.
21-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Find Reply
Max Power Offline

Threads: 0
(21-01-2015, 10:59 AM)c iom tt Wrote: The word 'privatisation' may be of some concern.
Will the TT trophys remain the property of the Isle Of Man Goverment, or be transfered as an asset to the new promoter?
The main TT Trophies belong to the ACU, as does the the name, Isle of Man TT. The IoM Government use them with permission.
21-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Find Reply
Max Power Offline

(21-01-2015, 11:28 AM)AntG Wrote: Well I'm of the opinion more road racing is a good thing BUT how many regular TT competitors will have the budget to compete in the southern hemisphere, a lot struggle to compete just in the UK and Ireland.

They will be paid to compete. They will effectively become part of a travelling circus.
21-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Find Reply
BRADDAN OAK Offline

Threads: 21
I'm not sure about this, if the riders are being paid to take part in this series where is all the money going to come from?

21-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Find Reply
Max Power Offline

(21-01-2015, 01:18 PM)BRADDAN OAK Wrote: I'm not sure about this, if the riders are being paid to take part in this series where is all the money going to come from?
From the promoters, who will charge each organising body a fee to bring the circus to town.
21-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
(21-01-2015, 01:55 PM)Max Power Wrote:
(21-01-2015, 01:18 PM)BRADDAN OAK Wrote: I'm not sure about this, if the riders are being paid to take part in this series where is all the money going to come from?
From the promoters, who will charge each organising body a fee to bring the circus to town.

Yes, but where is the money coming from?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
21-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
Could this be the end of the MMCC, after 2015 races if they don't get the promoters job 
21-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Find Reply
STEVEVTR Offline

Threads: 5
Does this mean we could have a "BERNIE ECCLESTON" type at the helm of our precious TT Races ?
21-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

The bulk of the promoters money will come from TV, the TV will make their money from subscription and advertising. The circuit will pay the promoters as well, they make their money from advertising and gate receipts.

Also each individual team and rider will have their own sponsorship deals in place.

Its a fairly big pie but there are lots of slices to go around, the riders and teams would earn on their results as well as providing full time employment to their guys and gals.

And ultimately we, the public who want to be entertained, will have to watch and/or attend in big numbers to make it cost effective for the advertisers and sponsors.

But this happens right now with loads of motorsport race series, both worldwide and domestic, lots of different categories of car racing, etc. are a  "travelling circus". Although that term takes away the fact that this would be an exciting series of road racing by the best riders and biggest teams, it would bring in money and new teams, riders etc.

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
21-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
The TT is about 85 riders in each race , and to that end most are paying thier own way . There is no way any promoter could take on the cost of transporting this circus as its been refered to around the world . Another thing for a lot of riders the TT two weeks is thier holiday as well , when they get home they have jobs to go to,  familys to support . I am sorry but I cannot see how this can work in the real world where most of us live  Icon_exclaim
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
(This post was last modified: 21-01-2015, 04:33 PM by Kursaal Flyer.)
21-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Website Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

(21-01-2015, 04:32 PM)Kursaal Flyer Wrote: The TT is about 85 riders in each race , and to that end most are paying thier own way . There is no way any promoter could take on the cost of transporting this circus as its been refered to around the world . Another thing for a lot of riders the TT two weeks is thier holiday as well , when they get home they have jobs to go to,  familys to support . I am sorry but I cannot see how this can work in the real world where most of us live  Icon_exclaim

This would never be for every rider at every event. Just 20-30 riders in 10-15 teams, say, with wildcard riders at each event up to the maximum. But the net effect would surely end up benefiting every rider, particularly at the TT in June, where the exposure would be the biggest. Smile

21-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
Cant see much revenue from gate receipts regardless of how big the crowd is.

Its very difficult to completely 'gate' a road circuit
21-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
Sure try the world series but treat it the way we see the electric race now. If the series snowballs we can catch the drift if not we don't lose any thing.

Kilbil
21-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(21-01-2015, 09:01 PM)warrior Wrote: Cant see much revenue from gate receipts regardless of how big the crowd is.

Its very difficult to completely 'gate' a road circuit

once 1 grandstand goes up more will follow and theres always the ones who want to pay more than others just to say we sat in the grandstand
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
21-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Find Reply