TT course knowledge
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
RE: TT course knowledge
(11-02-2015, 10:44 PM)desmophile Wrote: That's the other name for Milntown Cottage I believe

Yes, right you are! It's on the left exactly one mile before Parliament Square in Ramsey. Of course it's on the list. 22.8 miles after the starting line.
Pinfold or Milntown Cottage!

[Image: Pinfold.jpg]

A tip: when you are at the knowledge page http://siljasttknowledge.blogspot.se/ use command + F on a Mac or ctrl + F on a PC (the function "find on page") and type what you look for in the pop up box. If you spell  as it's written at the page, you'll fint it at once!
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2015, 12:53 AM by SILJA.)
12-02-2015, 12:33 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Very good indeed

Have a look at my "lap of the Clypse Course" ---made of stills from a super8 film I made in 2013

http://www.ttfan.info/clyps.htm
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
05-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Website Find Reply
SILJA Offline

I'm working on an update of the knowledge blog at the moment. Will be ready tonight. New is timings compared to the current lap record to places around the course. Updated comments from "Milky" at Duke DVD:s as well with permission from Duke Video. Intermission between (food) 15.30 and 16.30.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2015, 03:26 PM by SILJA.)
12-05-2015, 03:25 PM
Website Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Now the update of the TT course knowledge is finished and published.
http://siljasttknowledge.blogspot.se/
12-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
For many years I have driven round to Keppel Gate and parked on the rise above Kates Cottage.........It is probably my most favourite place from where to watch...

I have also always known that the bend before Keppel is known as Clarks Corner.................................

.After 68 years of TTFan-ship can anyone positively confirm the actual site of Clarks Corner please....................
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
25-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Website Find Reply
SILJA Offline

(25-05-2015, 04:19 PM)ian huntly Wrote: For many years I have driven round to Keppel Gate and parked on the rise above Kates Cottage.........It is probably my most favourite place from where to watch...

I have also always known that the bend before Keppel is known as Clarks Corner.................................

.After 68 years of TTFan-ship can anyone positively confirm the actual site of Clarks Corner please....................
I agree with you. It's a very good spot for spectators. I've been there with my camera 2007. There are a couple of shots from that spot in my collection from 2007. Here: http://siljascentenarypics.blogspot.se/ at page two and three.

The 27th of September 2007 Clark's Corner was mentioned for the first time on the thread TT course knowledge at the "old" site by nick name "Smiler" who wrote "For a bonus point, can you tell me where Clarks Corner is? I hadn`t heard it mentioned in years `til t`other night and being a Clarke i`m rightly proud of it!"

Nick name "Kestrel" wrote the same day "I believe Clarks Corner is the right hand bend leading into Keppel Gate, not 100% sure though."

The day after "Larry Devlin" wrote "Nearly, Kestrel! "Clark's was the lefthander now called Keppel Gate, and was so christened after R O Clark dropped his 250 Levis on the last lap of the 1920 Junior TT, when running 1st lightweight and, I think, 4th overall. He picked it up and finished. At that time, the actual gate across the road known as Keppel Gate was the next corner, now of course called Kate's!!"

That's the source for what's written in the current TT course knowledge at http://siljasttknowledge.blogspot.se/

Keppel Gate 33.7 http://www.gyrovision.com/panoid/51/100/1 Slight right hander and a hard left hander. Here was Shell Grip Tarmac through the right and left handers earlier. From 2015 new tarmac. Shelter on the right. Hero's Gate in times gone by. As well known as Clark's Corner. R O Clark dropped his 250 Levis on the last lap of the 1920 Junior TT, when running 1st in lightweight and probably 4th overall. He picked it up and finished.

Conclusion: Maybe I shall change the current info to make it more clear?  Change to: the left hander is as well known as Clark's Corner. R O Clark dropped his 250 Levis on the last lap of the 1920 Junior TT, when running 1st in lightweight and probably 4th overall. He picked it up and finished.

Opinions, please!
(This post was last modified: 25-05-2015, 06:59 PM by SILJA.)
25-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Website Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Now changed information at the post Keppel Gate. Changed to The left hander is as well known as Clarke's corner. Satisfied Ian Huntley?
(This post was last modified: 27-05-2015, 12:08 PM by SILJA.)
27-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Website Find Reply
canamant Offline

Threads: 1
(27-05-2015, 12:06 PM)SILJA Wrote: Now changed information at the post Keppel Gate. Changed to The left hander is as well known as Clarke's corner. Satisfied Ian Huntley?

I tend to think of Keppel Gate as the right and left bends, referring to them as going into Keppel Gate (right hander) and leaving Keppel Gate (left hander)
27-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

(27-05-2015, 01:54 PM)canamant Wrote:
(27-05-2015, 12:06 PM)SILJA Wrote: Now changed information at the post Keppel Gate. Changed to The left hander is as well known as Clarke's corner. Satisfied Ian Huntley?

I tend to think of Keppel Gate as the right and left bends, referring to them as going into Keppel Gate (right hander) and leaving Keppel Gate (left hander)

Yes right. If you take a look you'll find that what's written is that Keppel Gate is the right AND left hander. BUT Clark's Corner is an earlier name of the left hander. OK?
27-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Website Find Reply
runningbear Offline

Threads: 0
got your course map printed and its been very useful for tt 2015 .nice to be back here
10-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Find Reply
canamant Offline

A bit late of me to reply - but thank you Silja.  There are plenty of places on the Course where we call different sections of the Course by the same name, and have different names for the same section.

Ant
20-06-2015, 12:44 AM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

(20-06-2015, 12:44 AM)canamant Wrote: A bit late of me to reply - but thank you Silja.  There are plenty of places on the Course where we call different sections of the Course by the same name, and have different names for the same section.

Ant
Aha, like what? An example, please.
20-06-2015, 01:31 PM
Website Find Reply
taxman Offline

Black Hut/Stonebreakers Hut
K Tree/Conkerfields/Churchtown
Graham Memorial/Bungalow Bridge

is that the kind of thing you're thinking of?
22-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

(22-06-2015, 01:29 PM)taxman Wrote: Black Hut/Stonebreakers Hut
K Tree/Conkerfields/Churchtown
Graham Memorial/Bungalow Bridge

is that the kind of thing you're thinking of?

Well all these names abowe are mentioned in the blog "TT course knowledge" here:
http://siljasttknowledge.blogspot.se/

I don't understand exactly what canamant means...and I've never seen the same name for different spots, so far...
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2015, 04:34 PM by SILJA.)
22-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
The section which is caled the K tree, everyone now seems to call the Conker feilds, which technically are on the other side of the road. The name Conker Feilds are something that has only come up over the last few years.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
22-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Not if you're a native c iom tt! I've known that area as The Conkerfields for 35+ years. we used to go there to get conkers and the horsechestnut trees grow on both sides of the road.

I see Jan, you're looking for examples which aren't in the blog! Sorry - I totally misunderstood. The blog is excellent by the way!
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2015, 05:38 PM by taxman.)
22-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Jan

I can give you an update on Glen Helen from this year. The Glen Helen Hotel was closed, as was The Swiss House Restaurant. I understand that these are both permanent closures. There are public toilets still available in The Glen and there were two catering vans on site as well, so there is still hot food and drink available.
22-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

(22-06-2015, 05:28 PM)taxman Wrote: Not if you're a native c iom tt! I've known that area as The Conkerfields for 35+ years. we used to go there to get conkers and the horsechestnut trees grow on both sides of the road.

I see Jan, you're looking for examples which aren't in the blog! Sorry - I totally misunderstood. The blog is excellent by the way!

Yes taxman I always look for news to put into the blog. But canamant mentioned that there are different places with the same name. That interests me a lot. I have never heard such, so far.
22-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Website Find Reply
SILJA Offline

(22-06-2015, 05:47 PM)taxman Wrote: Jan

I can give you an update on Glen Helen from this year. The Glen Helen Hotel was closed, as was The Swiss House Restaurant. I understand that these are both permanent closures. There are public toilets still available in The Glen and there were two catering vans on site as well, so there is still hot food and drink available.

Thank you! I'll update that at once!
22-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Website Find Reply
Ackerman Offline

Threads: 2
Silja, I'm new to your knowledge - it's fascinating. When I was a kid we used to watch, with very many others, at The Bus Station, between Raymotors and Cruickshanks in Ramsey. I notice The Bus Station is not on the map - not sure of the criteria you use.
06-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Find Reply