How many Marshals
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
How many Marshals
Gents. How many marshals are required to let a practice or race session start around the mountain course ?
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
27-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Website Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
RE: How many Marshals
507 is the minimum in the right places
27-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
And theoretically that is in the right places , but the onus is now in the hands of the CSM's and DSM's , for now there is no set in stone number at any location it is if the , DSM's CSM's on the ground are happy to run with what they have , ??? what I call passing the buck , making it possible to run under handed in theory ,
27-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Find Reply
SeanLXIV Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
our minimum manning level at my post is 4 - but that is not enough IMO, last year on a number of days there was me, one other experienced and two novices. I can't send a novice down on their own to the advanced flag point, so have to send my experienced guy, which leaves me and two novices to do Flag, Radio, Rider, Bike and Debris. When we had an off that is exactly what we did, my two novices did superbly including loading into the helicopter which they had never practiced before. My concern was they'd be frightened off by being thrown in at the deep end, but they were there the following day. I do get a bit peeved when you see pictures of a cast of thousands at certain points, when we are up on the mountain struggling on the bare minimum.
17-03-2015, 11:40 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
On the tread for the TT launch, and free entry for marshalls, it had me wondering of haw many marshals signed on and turned up last year, and of those how many were locals?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
17-03-2015, 02:08 PM
Find Reply
DickH Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
(17-03-2015, 02:08 PM)c iom tt Wrote: On the tread for the TT launch, and free entry for marshalls, it had me wondering of haw many marshals signed on and turned up last year, and of those how many were locals?

There is a substantial number of 'locals' and this is important as the early practice week sessions are predominantly locals. Obviously during Race Week the ratio changes with a greater proportion of visitors.
My marshalling point is already over subscribed for 2015 race week and I'm only one short of my minimum 5 for practice week and a couple of my regulars have yet to sign on.
But I do agree with the earlier comment that the Mountain is the best place to be and that it is sad to see places where there are simply too many orange jackets.  Do they trip over each other??
DED could easily allow Marshals to have free entry - and restrict the free booze that flows to the rider guests who, in the past, have shown signs of having had too much hospitality.
17-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
(17-03-2015, 07:02 PM)DickH Wrote:
(17-03-2015, 02:08 PM)c iom tt Wrote: On the tread for the TT launch, and free entry for marshalls, it had me wondering of haw many marshals signed on and turned up last year, and of those how many were locals?

There is a substantial number of 'locals' and this is important as the early practice week sessions are predominantly locals. Obviously during Race Week the ratio changes with a greater proportion of visitors.
My marshalling point is already over subscribed for 2015 race week and I'm only one short of my minimum 5 for practice week and a couple of my regulars have yet to sign on.
But I do agree with the earlier comment that the Mountain is the best place to be and that it is sad to see places where there are simply too many orange jackets.  Do they trip over each other??
DED could easily allow Marshals to have free entry - and restrict the free booze that flows to the rider guests who, in the past, have shown signs of having had too much hospitality.
I dont marshal, but I have many friends that do. Most of them say they dont want to marshal on the Mountain anymore because of being stuck up there for hours on end when there is delays to the racing, which also means that when there are delays, it means the weather is prity grim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
17-03-2015, 07:10 PM
Find Reply
Raynetjr Offline

Threads: 6
(17-03-2015, 11:40 AM)SeanLXIV Wrote: our minimum manning level at my post is 4 - but that is not enough IMO, last year on a number of days there was me, one other experienced and two novices.  I can't send a novice down on their own to the advanced flag point, so have to send my experienced guy, which leaves me and two novices to do Flag, Radio, Rider, Bike and Debris.  When we had an off that is exactly what we did, my two novices did superbly including loading into the helicopter which they had never practiced before.  My concern was they'd be frightened off by being thrown in at the deep end, but they were there the following day.  I do get a bit peeved when you see pictures of a cast of thousands at certain points, when we are up on the mountain struggling on the bare minimum.

Sean,

Is there transport up from/ back down to Douglas for marshals? My mate and I are only there for one race day (Monday) but if we can get there we'd give it a go (I'm trained, he's a novice) - at the Manx I've got the car, but we're on foot this time.
Cheers
Raynetjr
17-03-2015, 11:57 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Contact the office Rynetjr there is a minibus that does take marshals up there but not just sure where it sets off from but give them a bell and they will be only too happy to sort it out for you I am sure

18-03-2015, 12:36 AM
Find Reply
Raynetjr Offline

Threads: 6
Thanks Eddie!
18-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Find Reply