Team Mugen to compete at TT 2015
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
RE: Team Mugen to compete at TT 2015
(01-02-2015, 02:23 PM)Revvin rich Wrote: Dont get me wrong they are an engineering marvel but not very interesting to watch on the circuit ,no sound= boring.

only 2 boats in the university boat race but that draws thousands and live tv coverage aswell
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
07-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
Bet the poor begger wishes he'd never posted his press release now.

Good luck to you Mugen guys, keep pushing yourselves, it's not your fault no one else is coming to the party at the moment, Ago had the same problem when he was winning by 5 minutes on the MV when the other works teams had gone.
08-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
Will it be Bruce Anstey`s turn to win this year?
08-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Find Reply
Deek Offline

Threads: 0
I hope Mugen is not too disheartened by all the negativity on this thread. Quite sad that road racing lovers and enthusiasts see the need to talk down what a racing team are trying to do. Shame
08-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Find Reply
desmophile Offline

Threads: 1
(08-02-2015, 02:07 PM)Deek Wrote: I hope Mugen is not too disheartened by all the negativity on this thread.  Quite sad that road racing lovers and enthusiasts see the need to talk down what a racing team are trying to do.  Shame

I'm certainly not talking down the Mugen team, they've done a fantastic job producing a bike to win within the constraints of the rules as they stand.

I'm sure that given good weather they will be pushing towards the 120 barrier which is a fantastic speed, 250 territory, albeit for 1 lap.

What I and others are querying is whether it constitutes a 'race', especially a TT race,  when there's such a lack of entrants and the whole basis of the class relying on stored energy.
08-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Find Reply
Mugen Offline

Threads: 4
The negativity is not a big problem, we have noticed a massive shift in opinions and interest over the 3 visits so far ranging from people who would rather turn their backs than even look at an electric bike, to comments such as "if this is the future I can't wait to ride one", so many people are coming round. And, with all due respect, the majority of current bikers are not the target demographic for electric bike racing. It is the future generations who will "benefit" the most from electric technology development. This is in fact the philosophy behind our bikes graphics; in the words of our boss "it is to appeal, and be memorable, to the kids". This is why we chose to take our bikes and riders to visit a couple of schools on teh island during our visit last year.
All we can do is build a bike to the regulations as they currently exist, and race it to the maximum of our abilities, and accrue the knowledge and experience that comes along with it.
Ask yourselves a question - if your boss came along one day and asked if you wanted to be a part of a properly funded team to take one of the most advanced bikes to the Isle of Man and set some historical records, would you worry overly much if it was electric or not? Or would you on principle turn down the opportunity of such an all-expenses paid experience?

Incidentally, there are strong indications that some serious players are looking at joining in this year, so maybe we won't necessarily have it all our own way after all (although we will be going all out whatever the competition).
08-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Shameful and sad to have an opinion now is it ?? .. Anybody getting themselves or a bike onto Glencrutchery Rd has my total and upmost respect as I know very well what efforts and commitment are involved but for me it's the forced upon me "Green Thing" theme that spoils it - there isn't anything green about the costs, methods, transport and manpower involved with making the battery and I can't see how those costs are ever going to reduce as time goes by, call me old fashioned but if you're digging something out of the ground which has been there for centuries then transporting it all round the world to refine it what is the difference between that and so-called fossil fuel or does Lithium and the other rare metals grow on trees ?.
08-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

i too feel a little sad that the mugen team and others are getting negative feedback for doing such a grand job with the bikes and regulations,BUT,no matter which way you look at it,the bikes have little appeal to the hard core fan,so too with the electric race cars,without the noise to stir the soul,which is a major part of the spectacle of racing,they just become far too boring to watch,and i don,t know how they,ll sort that out. Might be the future on the road,who knows,but for racing,it,s a non starter,i don,t know how it,s survived this long.
08-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
For me Mugen , it's not your teams capabilities or achievements that are the issue , it's the IoM TT organisation carrying on running your demonstration , and the miss representation of the green issues that are in question we do not and will not have the electricity generation to be able to turn personal transportation over to electricity , the complete concept does not stand up to close scrutiny , as said your teams achievements are unquestionably top shop and to be admired, but in the face of decreasing grids and manufacturers entering , it is time to say enough is enough , ut as we all know if the right money is put forward the IOM will run anything just look at the Subaru sham , give me a choice between them and your bikes and I would take you every time ,

08-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Find Reply
Big thumpa Offline

Threads: 5
 A one lap race between jm130 and bruce fastest man round the island  is good enough for me its a change !!!!!!!
oh and theve got the best looking race suit by miles Icon_biggrin
what would  you replace it with that would be better ?

Sucking Rabbits outa Hedges Icon_mrgreen
08-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(08-02-2015, 07:23 PM)thats exactly it Big thumpa Wrote:  A one lap race between jm130 and bruce fastest man round the island  is good enough for me its a change !!!!!!!

thats exactly it its different 
just like when the first 650 supertwin race it got slagged off too
for me we need variaty since the demise of the wonderfull 2 strokes all the races were just the same supersport superstock or super bike they all looked the same sounded similar and were all 4cyl 4 stroke  the supertwin and tt zero offer something slightly different
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
08-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Find Reply
Mugen Offline

Even though 650,000 people have viewed the JM Shinden san lap on youtube, hopefully it won't just be a race between JM & Bruce (although obviously I would hope for the same result with either of them in 1st and 2nd) because as I mentioned earlier there are some very strong rumours about some more strong teams for 2015. At least one that I know of, that has been close to joining for the last couple of years, has a very good pedigree, and would be a big asset to the starting line-up.

It might not be fair though to lump us in the same boat as the Subaru laps as it is publicly stated that the Subarus are a commercial venture that pay to be there, but there is no question of us, or any other TT Zero competitor (I am fairly sure I can speak for our fellow entrants on this), putting up money to host the event. Anything we spend on the project goes into the project.
08-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
You see the thing is, the likes of Steady Eddy et al are the backbone of the TT. Without them the event would not survive, end of. But what is also true is that if these TT stalwarts had total control of the TT then it would die with them. The event has to move on and change. Change or die. The TT Zero may or may not be the future. Experimenting with these technologies, and showing the determination to keep trying, is why we have events like the TT in the first place. Long may the TT organisers look beyond the here and now. Experimenting involves getting things wrong, and not being afraid to get things wrong.

Good luck to whoever turns up to the TT Zero this year, and thank you for having the b*lls to take risks, and experiment with technology.
08-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Find Reply
Matjac Offline

Threads: 2
What happened to the Brammo Bikes they looked the part a few years ago ,Roy Richardson & the late Mark Buckley rode. They must of had a fair bit of development by now.
08-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Find Reply
Mugen Offline

Polaris has just bought (or at least bought into) Brammo. Whether that makes them more, or less, likely to return to IOM I don't know. I would have thought (personal opinion) that if you want to sell road bikes to current bikers, where better to show your capabilities than on the mountain course?
08-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Find Reply
desmophile Offline

Threads: 1
(08-02-2015, 07:45 PM)scaramanga Wrote:
(08-02-2015, 07:23 PM)thats exactly it Big thumpa Wrote:  A one lap race between jm130 and bruce fastest man round the island  is good enough for me its a change !!!!!!!

for me we need variaty since the demise of the wonderfull 2 strokes all the races were just the same supersport superstock or super bike they all looked the same sounded similar and were all 4cyl 4 stroke  the supertwin and tt zero offer something slightly different

Totally agree re the need for variety, until the supertwins it did all look and sound the same.

The singles class was dropped because of lack of entries, 250's and 125's ditto although it would be argued that they were both dying classes anyway. BUT, they'd still put more bikes on the grid than TT zero and they could make a multi lap race out of it.

I love seeing a race develop over a few laps, a one lap sprint just isn't the TT in my book regardless of what bikes are running.

I'd love to see a Moto 3 race, I know that I will be told that they are too expensive to run, I wonder if Mugen would care to point roughly in the direction of how much they've spent in development costs so far as a comparison?

On one hand we are told by the organisers that we can only have the racing classes that race elsewhere but then we get TT Zero which seems to fly in the face of that.

I think it's generally acknowledged that the only reason TT zero is still around is political reputations are at stake, having shelled out £100k to a plausible charmer in the first place, it has to be a success.

Thanks Mugen for pointing out that I'm not in your demographic target group, my kids have been telling me that for years Icon_lol . Good luck in your endeavours.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2015, 09:22 PM by desmophile. Edit Reason: Can't spell! )
08-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Find Reply
Mugen Offline

wonder if Mugen would care to point roughly in the direction of how much they've spent in development costs so far as a comparison?
State secret I'm afraid, but any numbers you may see quoted are totally made up by others!

Thanks Mugen for pointing out that I'm not in your demographic target group, my kids have been telling me that for years Icon_lol .
don't worry, I'm way outside the demographic myself
08-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
(08-02-2015, 09:18 PM)desmophile Wrote:
(08-02-2015, 07:45 PM)scaramanga Wrote:
(08-02-2015, 07:23 PM)thats exactly it Big thumpa Wrote:  A one lap race between jm130 and bruce fastest man round the island  is good enough for me its a change !!!!!!!

Totally agree re the need for variety, until the supertwins it did all look and sound the same.

The singles class was dropped because of lack of entries, 250's and 125's ditto although it would be argued that they were both dying classes anyway. BUT, they'd still put more bikes on the grid than TT zero and they could make a multi lap race out of it.

I love seeing a race develop over a few laps, a one lap sprint just isn't the TT in my book regardless of what bikes are running.

I'd love to see a Moto 3 race, I know that I will be told that they are too expensive to run, I wonder if Mugen would care to point roughly in the direction of how much they've spent in development costs so far as a comparison?

On one hand we are told by the organisers that we can only have the racing classes that race elsewhere but then we get TT Zero which seems to fly in the face of that.

I think it's generally acknowledged that the only reason TT zero is still around is political reputations are at stake, having shelled out £100k to a plausible charmer in the first place, it has to be a success.

Thanks Mugen for pointing out that I'm not in your demographic target group, my kids have been telling me that for years Icon_lol . Good luck in your endeavours.

The 250cc and 125cc were not dropped because of lack of entries they started to get stronger again and 2008 would have at least put on a good show the true reason why they were not accepted for 2008 is read for yourselves in this link and go to Paul Phillips post to find out why

http://www.iomtt.com/Home/Forum/ShowPost...stID=94020 
08-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
How about letting a few made for closed circuit racing GP spec 250 two strokes in the 650 commuter bike race .. variety, interest, different sound and real little jewel racing bikes in the Lightweight - that would be novel wouldn't it.
09-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
(09-02-2015, 11:11 AM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: How about letting a few made for closed circuit racing GP spec 250 two strokes in the 650 commuter bike race .. variety, interest, different sound and real little jewel racing bikes in the Lightweight - that would be novel wouldn't it.

I suggested that very thing when the Lightweight was resurrected.  The organisers didn't seem interested.  It'd give Mr McG a chance of a run out on an RS250 wouldn't it?
09-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Website Find Reply